My streamline-modified car. Perhaps a bit "ambitious but rubbish." :p

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4-1.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

Under all the sleek streamlining is my bone stock 1994 Integra LS daily driver. :mrgreen:

The streamlining made a measurable difference in the drag coefficient, and after the numbers are crunched, we can see how big that difference was. Also the car was noticeably quieter, and the looks we got driving through town were priceless! BTW, the name means something to the effect of "Flying wind competition" in Italian.

Starfox07

Formerly XR4turbo
Established Member
Its an automotive engineer project my brother was doing. Seeing how much adding stuff like that would reduce aerodynamic drag.

Starfox07

Formerly XR4turbo
Established Member
how do you go about testing that.

After calculating rolling resistance (effective at speeds below roughly 45mph) we took the car up to 80mph on the straightest, flattest road we could find. Put the car in neutral then wait for the car to coast (due to aerodynamic drag over 50mph) down to 35mph. Ran it up and down the road to counteract differences in elevation. Repeated the test with all of the panels/tape taken off. Use current temperature and barometric pressure to calculate air density, then with rolling resistance, plug into formula to arrive at total aerodynamic drag. Divide that by the total frontal area of the car to arrive at the coefficient of drag. :beer:

bubbrubb

are you going to make a full length undertray too? I scratched my head when I saw the pics though.

in all seriousness, the couple of cents that you'd save with the gas mileage increase just went out the door with the roll of tape.

spitin venom

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Established Member
Jealous my teg is way more aerodynamic than your snake?

My other car is an Integra. I was going to mess with my woman and make a huge wing and body kit with the extra boxes I have in the garage.

I was going to make something awesome like this.
florian_cardboard_corolla_1.jpg

or this
image028.jpg

or even this

Cardboard%20Ricer.JPG

Starfox07

Formerly XR4turbo
Established Member
It isn't for gas mileage :lol:

It was a project for my brother's graduate class. Calculated drag cf was .39 with the tape and stuff, and .42 for the bare car. Probably not very accurate, but it DID make a difference.

Users who are viewing this thread