My 99 has a problem... Please help

UGOT8UP

The Fireman
Established Member
Well this has happened before but now its getting bad. Here is the rundown... When my car sits for a period of 6+ hours and I try to start it the car either starts then dies (feels/sounds like its being flooded/stalls) or idles real low and goes up and down... This only happens when the cars been sitting never any other time. When I pop the hood to inspect I hear an air sounding leak come'ing from around the valve (don’t know the exact name) that sits on the firewall side of the driver side valve cover... Any help would be greatly appreciated....

Adam

Last edited:

3B99SVT

Top down makes me smile
Established Member
I'll guess the IAC needs cleaning (easy procedure -- do a search) or the air that you hear. Can you post a pic of the valve you're hearing the air leaking from? Firewall side of the driver side valve cover could be the PCV valve but I've never heard mine sound like it's leading air unless I pull it while it's running.

UGOT8UP

The Fireman
Established Member
well its more of a leak... Like its getting around the fitting where it fits on the rubber... But my camera is down but if you look at the driver side valve cover it is at the rear top of the cover... And a peice of black tube'ing runs from that green valve to the intake mani... Thanks....

EDIT: I think its called the PCV valve....

Last edited:

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
yes, that is your pcv valve. is the hose itself leaking, or is it the actual pcv? it could also be the seal on the valve cover that the pcv plugs into. check into it more, regardless of which part it is it sounds like an easy and cheap fix.

01vert

Established Member
vac leak, use zip ties on the end of the hoses to tighten them up if they are the problem and get a new pcv valve. Wll cause idle problems with a leak

UGOT8UP

The Fireman
Established Member
Well now i replaced the PCV valve and it doesnt leak anymore but it still fails to keep a idle when its been sitting for a long time... Im thinking its my IAC valve going bad... Sometimes when i try to start it and it dies, right after it dies you can hear a "puff" sound like air release'ing. After it does that it will start fine... Any ideas? Thanks again guys... :thumbsup:

Svt-Sonic

Established Member
I am almost certain that pfff sound is the Vapour Management Canister. Mine is doing the same thing, I dont think you need to worry about it though.

Also cleaning an IAC is easy. Simply remove it and grab some Q-Tips and Carb-Cleaner and rub it in there.

You might also consider cleaning your MAF.

UGOT8UP

The Fireman
Established Member
yeah i did try that and it still is messing up... But when that "pfff" happens right after it the car will start and idle fine... I just dont understand why its acting like this... :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread