My 67 Rustang really is rusting away...

DrYeRLiNt

Horse From Hell
Established Member
Every piece i take off this damn car, I find more rust. How can I find all of it and be done with it once and for all? What's the best method to find/remove all the rust?

I've heard about sandblasting, chemical dipping, hand sanding, etc, but I do not know what is the best way to go about it! I've heard with chemical dipping, the metal will eventually rust from the inside out, because you cant repaint between two welded pieces of metal unless you basically disassemble the entire car.

What do you guys think? Is sandblasting the way to go? I've heard that you shouldnt sandblast exterior panels because they will warp under the heat, but it would take me weeks to sand the outside of this car by hand. It has atleast 3 layers of primer and atleast 2 layers of paint.

boosted306

Established Member
I would do your research carefully. Just my opinion but I would dip it. If you have watched any of the hot rodding shows on television that is what all of the biggest names do. Take OverHauling for example, they send it off to have one or the other done. At that point the restoration starts. Panel repair and body work followed by paint. That is the route that I would go. This is the plan for my foxbody as well. Good luck and I will try to do some independent research to find out some answers for you as well.

Gixx1300R

Established Member
Media Blasting is the best for finding rust. Chemical dipping can hid rust areas that havent reached the surface

ElGato

There is no cure
Established Member
...short answer to "Every piece i take off this damn car, I find more rust. How can I find all of it and be done with it once and for all?": you won't/can't without considerable effort.

the trick to Sandblasting is in the media. There are sizes/varietys of sand, there are nutshells, there are artifical medias-all used for different applications. Look into it. Some take longer for rust on carbon steel, but don't add as much heat... some would take an epoxy coating off of titanium at 100 yards but would melt steel inside of a minute...

to prevent the (surface) rust from coming back use a good epoxy primer. Not the cheap rattle can Pep boys special... This is especially crucial where any kind of fill/bondo (no matter how thin a coat) is used.

Time... a little material... and more time. But eventually, everything rusts again. Do the work, enjoy the work, enjoy the car and don't sweat it!

Last edited:

03vert70charger

Established Member
When I got my charger I was lucky enough to find one that was just moved up here from Arizona, so It had very little rust. Just around the wheel wells and a few other minor spots. Still had to sand the whole car before it was repainted. Sanding all the primer\paint of a charge is a pain in the ass, Its huge!!

I would also say go with getting it dipped. I was going to have that done but Since it was an arizona car it wasn't really necessary.

themadgnome

I don't talk stock
Established Member
Chemical dipping is considerably more expensive than media blasting, and as said before doesn't find all the rust. If you've never used a media blaster don't do it yourself, its very easy to ef the car up.
Paint and body work is something that requires alot of experience and every imperfection will be noticable in the end. I started off doing the work on my 65, and after about 2 years of work I was getting nowhere, plus after talking to several body shops, none of them would paint the car without doing the body work themselves. So I finally broke down and took it to a local shop, and I am extremely happy with the results so far.

66speed

Ya dun goofed
Established Member
Drive it off a cliff?

Jk. If its parts that can be replaced, like floorboards, cut em out and weld new ones in.

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
media blasting with something such as nutshells. sand will heat the panels up and warp them. saw it on TV(lol).

Users who are viewing this thread