My 2013 track app's wot air fuel ratio

Bowtie-X

Oh No.. not a NOOB again.
Established Member
My track app's AFR show 14.0 on wot most of the times. I would say 8/10 times I go wot it would read 14.0. So I talk to my dealer about this crazy AFR reading that my track app's been displaying since I got the car new a few months back but just as I thought they kind of blew me off stating that if I have no CEL and the car run fine than not to worry about it too much. I really tried not to since the car does seem to run just fine, but I can't do nothing but worry when I see a very lean 14.0 when I wot. I'm scared I might see one of my rods off the engine lol, as you all know 14.0 on wot usually mean not so good. So I been trying to come up with my own conclusion as to what could be causing my track app to show 14.0 during open loop. In closed loop or part throttle and idle the AFR read perfectly. I also hooked up a torque app obd2 scanner but it's showing the same exact habit, so I don't think the track app itself might be the issue since the same data is coming directly off ecm. I checked my fuel trims but my LTFT is at -6 to -8 on wot which doesn't look like it collaborate with the 14.0 AFR that it show most of the time on wot. What do you more experienced folks think this might be? I‘m scared that I might be driving around in a time bomb.

01bluesnake

Established Member
Thats how these new platform's are. Depending on the TIVCT and ignition map, they are shooting for max torque and are able to achieve this with the lean afr. As the dealer said, dont worry about it. These aren't anything like the older motors in terms of tuning.

Last edited:

Abilor

Established Member
Can you elaborate more on what you mean here? Are you saying 14.0 at WOT is the true reading, and that it's acceptable for this platform? How is it that this is okay on these motors when it isn't on the previous generations? I'm new to tuning the platform, just seeking basic, safe information.

Thanks!

Bowtie-X

Oh No.. not a NOOB again.
Established Member
This will help, check out this link

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/2011-mustangs-354/886548-8-explained-little-better.html

Shawn@AED explain your question very clearly.

As you can see from this thread I started I was trying to figure out why my AFR was showing 14.0 on WOT. To be honest I thought to myself, there's no freaking way my 2013 GT is going to run as lean as 14 on WOT and still hold up. I personally thought my track app was off or had a glitch from being a new option in the mustang. A few days ago I happened to have a email conversation with shawn@AED regarding his tunes and #8 issues. I told him about my factory AFR situation and he immediately informed me about the #8 issue and how part of the #8 problem was due to this exact lean AFR that is in factory tune! I took his info and started to do more research of my own and also did a datalog to see what my ECM was commanding on WOT. Just as Shawn explain in many different posts and threads my commanding AFR on WOT was stoich most of the time throughout the rpm. Take it for what it is I guess. I still don't know what to make of this since it look like a SCT tune that can possibly void your warranty is the only way that will put a "fix" on the lean WOT. I really didn't have any plans to tune my car until next year when I plan to supercharge. At this point I'm just trying to figure out if at least loading another calibration such as procal would fix this lean AFR and its the only calinration other than stock that will let me keep my warranty. I have an appointment with my dealer next week to have this lean condition looked at a little more and to have my procal installed so hopefully I can get another official opinion. For now it look like this is completely normal and ford programmed for high rpm torque benefit, but it seems there's still more questions than answers lol.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Users who are viewing this thread