My 2012 just hit 100K, I wanna go another 100K with it, what maintenance?

mikestoyz

Established Member
Its obviously had plenty of oil changes(using the motorcraft part synthetic), new battery and new brake pads. But otherwise, nothing else.
It runs fantastic. Transmission makes a little noise, but really nothing to speak of. Shifts easy, clutch still holds great. Starts right up.

I guess its time for new plugs, and Ill do a coolant flush. Should I change the transmission oil and rear end oil?
Any recommendations on plugs, oil or coolant? And special tools for the coil on plug set up?

Im 40 years old. Have owned several cars. This one is the most gratifying car I have ever owned. GREAT JOB FORD!

Zemedici

Established Member
I would change plugs, filters, and rear end. General rule of thumb with trans flushes is if you haven't always done them, don't do them. Could do more harm than good. So I wouldn't recommend that.

I'd use motorcraft parts, nothing screams reliability more than OEM.

87hatchy

Established Member
I would absolutely change the coolant and transmission and rear end oil. Your cabin air filter is probably nasty too lol. Even if the belt looks fine, I would change that too. Grease suspension components in appropriate places under the car. New spark plugs definitely. dont have any recommendations, but OEM ones are probably perfectly fine. Especially seeing how they've lasted 100k. I wouldn't worry about coil on plug parts unless you are having issues.

I have some questions too:

-What do you do that makes you drive so much? Mostly just curious!

-How many of those 100k were miles that were on that AED tune?

-I'm assuming you drive this daily - rain or shine. How's the paint holding up? For me, my 2013 only has about 10k on it and already has chips on the front end and stuff, which is normal for any car that gets driven, but it pisses me off lol. I feel like the paint is very thin on these cars compared to other cars I've owned, thats why I ask.

-Did you ever have any issues that you had to take it to the dealer for over those 100k besides regular maintenance?

-I see that you drag race it by your sig. Would you say that in those 100k you rarely drove it hard or drove it hard a lot?? Just trying to see if that was a babied 100k or an abusive 100k LOL

Last edited:

87hatchy

Established Member
General rule of thumb with trans flushes is if you haven't always done them, don't do them. Could do more harm than good. So I wouldn't recommend that.

I disagree. Especially for a manual transmission. This may be the case for some automatic cars, but not all and definitely not for manuals. The owners manual says to change the transmission fluid (automatic or manual) at 150k, which I understand is 50k more miles, but it doesn't say to never change it. I would change it no doubt if I were the OP

Zemedici

Established Member
I disagree. Especially for a manual transmission. This may be the case for some automatic cars, but not all and definitely not for manuals. The owners manual says to change the transmission fluid (automatic or manual) at 150k, which I understand is 50k more miles, but it doesn't say to never change it. I would change it no doubt if I were the OP

You are correct, I missed he was manual. :beer:

mikestoyz

Established Member
I would absolutely change the coolant and transmission and rear end oil. Your cabin air filter is probably nasty too lol. Even if the belt looks fine, I would change that too. Grease suspension components in appropriate places under the car. New spark plugs definitely. dont have any recommendations, but OEM ones are probably perfectly fine. Especially seeing how they've lasted 100k. I wouldn't worry about coil on plug parts unless you are having issues.

I have some questions too:

-What do you do that makes you drive so much? Mostly just curious!

-How many of those 100k were miles that were on that AED tune?

-I'm assuming you drive this daily - rain or shine. How's the paint holding up? For me, my 2013 only has about 10k on it and already has chips on the front end and stuff, which is normal for any car that gets driven, but it pisses me off lol. I feel like the paint is very thin on these cars compared to other cars I've owned, thats why I ask.

-Did you ever have any issues that you had to take it to the dealer for over those 100k besides regular maintenance?

-I see that you drag race it by your sig. Would you say that in those 100k you rarely drove it hard or drove it hard a lot?? Just trying to see if that was a babied 100k or an abusive 100k LOL

I do home health physical therapy. Most of my miles are driving on highways that range from 60-80mph, but half of the time its in traffic(If that makes sense).
It has not been back to the dealer since the day that I bought it new. I did have a creak from a control arm at about the 32K mark, but it disappeared, and there is no obvious problem from driving or inspection.

I got the AED tune around the 15K mile mark. So Id say thats about 85K on the Shaun AED tune!

Paint definitely has chips. I just had the windshield replaced. So many times huge rocks have hit my car. If the car was white or light silver, I probably wouldnt notice. But Id say the paint is average compared to previous cars.

I drive it rain or shine. Its lowered and I have to deal with some real country dirt roads, it can get tricky. I took it to the track right after buying, but I havent been back since. I dont go because a ET is just a number(flame suit active!), and since its my business car, its not worth the risk for me. It gets run up to 5K at least once a day. Twice a week it will get run to 6800 in two consecutive gears. Not very often do I do a 0-100 run using full power. The car is a ton of fun even shifting at 4K. I work on some empty roads, and when im in the mood, I open it up!

JTS_7

Established Member
Couple things.....

The control arm was a TSB, I'd bet Ford would still replace them. From what the service guy told me was some of the welds get harlirline fractures and the bushings also go bad causing the noise you were hearing.

Also, not sure how long it's been since you were tuned by Shaun. But I do know he made a couple revisions to his tunes over the years, not that anything was wrong from the get go, but more so making things better if that makes sense. Not sure if you were tuned before or after those, but it might be worth asking him or sending him a log.

87hatchy

Established Member
Very cool, thanks for the information. That says a lot about AED. That's a ton of miles on that tune and no issues!

george.arnold

Established Member
I'm at 85k with my '11. I changed plugs a few weeks ago. Really woke the car up. Didn't have any issues with the coils, but those little plastic connectors can be brittle. Just take your time and be careful when disconnecting them. I'm working on putting an oil separator together after seeing the plugs. Two of them had oil on them.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Congrats hitting 100k like the other members said just do your tranny fluid, rearend, radiator with spark plugs.

stang99x

Old Fox
Established Member
It's amazing how long an American made V8 will last when maintained.....

I dunno why Ford thinks 150k is a good idea on a manual tranny, especially not one that sees some hard work such as yours. Definitely change that. Change the plugs, leave the coils alone.....like Henry once said, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." Ford's 8.8 has always been a great long lasting axle. For a long time it was a 100k mile fluid change, then they upped it to 150K. I'd still do it at 100k at most, especially if you are launching it a lot. If you haven't done that cabin, it will probably make you sick when you see it. At 35k mine look like it had been buried for 100 years then put back in (all by the first owner, I'm the 2nd) Flush the coolant, replace the belt and then drive it another 50k miles and flush the coolant again. Rinse and repeat every 100k

mikestoyz

Established Member
Couple things.....

The control arm was a TSB, I'd bet Ford would still replace them. From what the service guy told me was some of the welds get harlirline fractures and the bushings also go bad causing the noise you were hearing.

Also, not sure how long it's been since you were tuned by Shaun. But I do know he made a couple revisions to his tunes over the years, not that anything was wrong from the get go, but more so making things better if that makes sense. Not sure if you were tuned before or after those, but it might be worth asking him or sending him a log.

Yeah, I looked at all the forums when the noise first made it, people got the new control arm, and within a few 1,000 miles, it was making noise. It hasnt made noise in over a year. But ill reinspect again next oil change. Good idea about relogging and sending to shaun just to be sure everything is still good. Ill do that after some fresh plugs.

Yep, the kona blue 12. Only 18k miles on mine though. It has a 2.3 whipple now. Like all the blown 5.0's, it runs in the single digits, lol.
Jesus man!!! If I didnt daily drive this thing, Id be thinking about a whipple myself.

I'm at 85k with my '11. I changed plugs a few weeks ago. Really woke the car up. Didn't have any issues with the coils, but those little plastic connectors can be brittle. Just take your time and be careful when disconnecting them. I'm working on putting an oil separator together after seeing the plugs. Two of them had oil on them.

Does anyone besides the dealer sell replacement harnesses in case I break one? Id almost like to have 1 or 2 around just because Id do the job on a Saturday and be back to work on Monday.

Yeah, with all the miles I do, I should probably get a JLT oil seperator unless there are some that are more affordable?

5lho

Established Member
oorah on the high mileage. I'm at 45,000 KILOMETERS on my 2012 and I daily it as well, business use. I guess I'm just closer to most things. I have taken the car on a road trip to Vegas and Socal from where I am...that was 6000 K in itself....this is the best road trip car on the planet. ...and it delivers 11 sec. 1/4 on a tire and tune so, very cool there as well.

The only thing brittle on the coil plugs is the little red locking tabs. Be careful pushing them up to undo the coil connector. Even if you break one, (like I did), it doesn't really matter, the plugs still have an internal clip and their positioning in the coil cover keeps them well seated.

DSG2003SVT

Gray only, please
Established Member
Awesome to know! From when I bought my car in December 2012 to February 2014, I put just over 50K miles on it. I got a 2012 Fiesta for a daily last February, so the Mustang has been able to rest. It's up to 57K now. It hasn't given me any trouble at all, and I lay into it pretty well just about every time I drive it.

I switched to Pennzoil Platinum on my first oil change, and I have since switched to Amsoil. I changed trans and diff fluid to Amsoil and checked/regapped the plugs at 50K. I've had a tune and catless x pipe for most of the life of the car.

When I put the Boss intake on a little while back, I checked for oil in the IM, and it was bone dry. I'm going to switch to the Ecoboost F-150 PCV valve just for good measure, but I don't care for catch cans if I can avoid it. I guess not all of these motors have that issue, mine seems to be fine.

It sounds like you have the right idea, and have gotten good advice about where to go from here. Keep enjoying your car, and I hope it lasts for many more miles.

archerychamp3d

Established Member
I have a 2012 GT auto that I daily, just turned 84k mi on the odometer yesterday. Been thinking about doing plugs too. I plan on leaving my tranny and diff fluid alone. Only had trouble with two things. Had to have a/c clutch replaced at about 63k mi and replaced the rear sway bar bushings at 35k mi. Anybody have a link for DIY cabin air filter change.

nissenc1337

Established Member
I'm nearing 80K on mine. Had the trans replaced at 74,000 under extended warranty. No issues here although I do plan to remove my whiteline trans bushing when it warms up soon. Too much NVH and my barton two post seems to keep things sturdy enough for me until i upgrade to an MGW.

Users who are viewing this thread