My 2011 Mustang shimmy saga beginning to today

argetni

Established Member
8/20/2010 - My 2011 GT Premium has 1200 miles on it now. Since day one there has always been a bit of a shimmy in the wheel which could only can be seen if you let go of the wheel and watch it rock a couple of degrees.

After the car sat for two weeks while I was on vacation the tires must have flat spotted as now there is a vibration all the time on the highway, pretty strong from 80-100 and beyond. I have driven it 300+ miles and it still is bad so something is wrong besides simple flat spotting from sitting and it is not like 2 weeks is a long time.

At times even under 55mph you can watch the steering wheels rock a few degrees if you take your hands off it.

I called the dealer (Mahwah Ford) and they said they will not drive the car 80mph, so I did not even bother to make an appointment.

I moved the rear tires to the front as a test and there was still a shimmy, but it felt different…worse maybe.

I decided to take matters into my own hands.

I took it to Euro Tire in Fairfield, NJ (very highly regarded shop) and had the tires balanced and one turned on the wheel as it had a "high spot" they said. $85 OOP.

STILL SHIMMY/VIBRATION AT 80mph

I then the same day took it to Tire and Wheel performance center in Ridgewood, NJ (another very highly regarded shop). They found 3 out of 4 tires to be out of balance, odd as Euro Tire just balanced them that day but I was in the garage when T&W did the work and the machine showed them out of balance. $55 more OOP

STILL SHIMMY/VIBRATION now from 55-80 and beyond.

8/24/2010 - Now that it was happening at lower speeds I took it to the dealer (Mahwah Ford, Mahwah, NJ) I gave them notes about what had been done so far.

8/25/2010 - Dealer gave the old “unable to reproduce customer concern” They claim they took it up to 85 MPH twice and it was smooth. Nothing more they can do.

08/27/2010 - I went right to my salesman to complain and he put me right into a brand new 2011 on the lot that had 65 miles on it. As soon as I hit the highway with the new car the steering wheel was doing the same dance, mild but there and over 80mph it had a pretty strong vibe, but much less than my car.

At this point I decided to take the car to the shop of a guy I know that owns an exotic car rental business (Gotham Dream Cars). He had his mechanic rebalance the tires on a brand new Hunter GSP 9700. He found all the tires out of balance with Road Force measurements as follows 29,26,9, 6 all within spec. $100 OOP

SHIMMY STILL THERE! MUCH WORSE NOW.

08/28/2010 – I decided to buy another set of tires and wheels to try out from a forum member. 19” Luster nickel painted from a 2010 GT with a couple thousand miles on them. On the ride to his place the car shook so badly at times I had to slow below 55 so I would not get sick.

New wheels and tires mounted, car is smooth up till 70 and pretty good at 80-90 but not very smooth 90-100+. $925 OOP

The previous owner claims his car was very smooth with these wheels.

I also drove his 2010 GT with 19s from a 2010 GT500 and it too had a bit of rocking when you take your hands off the wheel but was otherwise smooth at speeds up to 70mph.

08/29/2010 – I curb my one of my brand new used wheels and have to get it fixed for $135 OOP – looks almost good as new.

09/09/2010 – I took the factory 18” that are off the car to yet another tire shop. They find all 4 out of balance and get this one warped wheel. The guy shows me on the balancer how the wheels does not spin true. He said to put the warped one on the right rear and it should be ok. He said the warped wheel has to be a factory flaw as there is no visible damage and no bends in it, it is just not perfectly round. $45 OOP.

09/10/2010 – 2100 miles on the car now and I am not sure what to do at this point. I paid 33K for a 412HP car that is not smooth over 80mph and am at my wits end. I have spent $1345 OOP and am worse off than I when I started. I am actually debating on buying a BRAND NEW set of aftermarket wheels and tires as a test but I am not a rich man and my wife is ready to divorce me over all of my complaining about this issue.

Interesting tidbit - the shimmy is much worse when in SPORT mode.

Last edited:

Wishing4Cobra

Established Member
I would contact a lawyer about this since the dealership doesnt seem like they want to help you out.

Or have the mechanic at Ford test drive it with you in the car.

OhIIICobra

Established Member
Sounds like you have some sorry tire shops where you are at if 3 of 4 can't balance tires. If the 4th tire place identified a warped wheel, that sounds like it may have contributed to your problem. Especially if the first three places were unsuspectingly moving it to a different corner of the car each time.

I would be asking the manager for refund from the first three tire shops if what you are saying is correct. Take the suspect wheel to Ford and have them verify / replace it. I sure as hell wouldn't put it back on the car in the rear after all that.

realaxed83

Established Member
Damn that is pretty rough. I would take the warped wheel into the dealer and make sure I was present when they tested it.....then request a replacement wheel. Hopefully something that gets resolved and doesn't make you hate an otherwise great car.

argetni

Established Member
Update - I spoke with my salesman and he was able to get the shop foreman to agree to throw the wheels on the balancer without "replicating" the issue first. The foreman seems decent as he even told the salesman just because a tire zeros out on the balancer it does not mean there will not still be a vibration or shimmy if a tire or wheel is bad.

I have an appointment Monday to drop off my car and pickup a loaner.

The only stipulation was that I have to put the factory 18"s back on the car again which is no big deal.

Today with my 19"s on the car it was smooth at 90mph again. So odd.

argetni

Established Member
Car is at the dealer.

The shop foreman said they are going to check all the tires and wheels plus the axles for runout.

Since the 4th tire balancing the car is now smooth up until 90mph. At 90+ there is still vibration.

The shop foreman did say that Pirellis are crap tires.

My salesman did come through for me and got them to check all these things under warranty with out "duplicating" the issue first.

argetni

Established Member
UPDATE - just got a call from service and they said one of the wheels is bent, the one that needed 3oz to balance out, which is not the one the tire shop said was warped.

They have ordered a new wheel under warranty and will have it tomorrow so I get to drive the Ford Focus loaner another day.

At least this proves I am not a nut case and there was something wrong with the car this whole time.

Now the question is will it fix the issue?

argetni

Established Member
UPDATE - NOT FIXED - WORSE

Per the workorder they replaced RF wheel. Balanced all four tires, checked suspension for looseness and checked rotors for runout.

Shimmy is even worse than before when it SPORT mode even at 60mph and THEY MOUNTED THE TIRE BACKWARDS ON THE NEW WHEEL in now says INSIDE on the outside and looks like crap.

Service was closed when I picked up the car so now it will have to wait until morning to call them and then bring it back. I cannot stand this much longer.

argetni

Established Member
Take a look at this thread on a GT-500 forum, it is EXACTLY the same issue!

[ame=http://forums.corral.net/forums/showpost.php?p=10079899&postcount=11]Corral.net : Ford Mustang Forums - View Single Post - 2010/11 GT500 AdvanceTrak problem[/ame]

SpectorV

Established Member
ive been in similar situations with my 2001 mustang (not wheel wise but clutch issues) I went through 4 throwout bearings and the clutch petal still had a vibration/rubbing feel when pressed in... I finally sold the car (not because of the issue but to get another mustang)

It SUCKED and the dealer really didnt seem to care. If I had not had a friend that was a tech I would have not gotten the entire clutch assembly replaced... which still didnt fix it. Good luck with it after so many times they had to get some tech to come in special to look at the car :( and they of course didnt do anything or cared im sure.

argetni

Established Member
Yet another UPDATE –

Went back to the dealer and they found that the RF tire had a steel belt shifted through a hole in between an outer tread block, it caused the tread blocks around it to stick up higher than the rest.. It must have there for awhile as there was some decent tread wear in that area only. Nobody noticed this until today including myself, 4 tire shops and the dealer.

They just ordered a tire under warranty and I am back in the loaner.

I wonder if this will be the fix?

mustangc

This too shall pass
Established Member
If it doesn't you might also double check the alignment (which can cause abnormal tire wear including flat spots). Also, the vibration could be coming from other rotating masses (such as the driveshaft).

argetni

Established Member
UPDATE AGAIN -

Picked the car up with new tire - still the shimmy at 60mph in SPORT mode and they gouged the brand new wheel mounting the new tire, small marks but still shitty on a new wheel.

The shop foreman said he took it to 80mph and it was smooth - sure when not in SPORT mode it is ok. He said "this car does not have a SPORT mode" :(

I think at this point we can rule out wheels and tires as the issue. I will be calling them back in the AM and requesting they escalate the issue to a district rep.

Blown2004Stang

Established Member
I haven't put mine into sport mode yet, but, I do get a slight steering wheel vibration above 55mph.. I'll try it in sport mode later..

Travis

FWP!

Established Member
Sport mode has absolutely nothing to do with a vibrating feeling in the car over 80 mph.

Unless you've ruled out the wheels themselves by switching to another set, I'm going to say you've completely wasted your time up to this point. Trying other wheels would have been the FIRST thing I did.

Users who are viewing this thread