my 2.9L whipple Dyno Numbers

03killersnake

Wh1ppl3d F3d
Established Member
Ok its been forever since I've been on here. I got my 2.9L whipple installed and tuned 9/7/2011 it did 610 rwhp and 564 rwtq. I was wondering does these numbers look low to you guys? boost was 19 lbs and peaked at 20.
Mods: 2.9 whipple 3.50" pulley,JLT RAI,60 lbs injectors,Fore dual pump return style fuel system,Stock exhuast manifolds, Catted X pipe, slp cat back.
Just putting my numbers out there and looking for you guys thoughts. Next mods on my list to do is LT headers, stage 3 comp cams, and MMR stage 3 head port.

50 Deep

SVT JEDI
Established Member
once the long tubes are on the motor will breathe much better. With your mods I think 630ish would be appropriate. So your not too far of the mark

03killersnake

Wh1ppl3d F3d
Established Member
I also forgot to say the timing was 17 degrees. IDK, I guess I was expecting more out of the 2.9 but the headers is probably where alot of restriction is coming from and holding me back. what kind of timing are you guys running on 93 pump gas?

04svtcobrablack

Established Member
I'm running 18 degrees of timing on 91 octane on my 2.9 with 3.5 pulley and see 16 psi but I have long tubes made 622

stal94gt

Established Member
take dyno numbers for what they are. i have had my car on several dyno's and they all read slightly different. also the time of year/temp, tied in on what the da was for the day will also affect numbers. also many people who put down the bigger numbers are running more timing. i have a vary similar setup as you with a 2.9L with 18 degrees timing and i put the numbers out that are in my sig. on another dyno my car has put down as high as 660 so who knows which one is right. i say run the car and see how she does

03killersnake

Wh1ppl3d F3d
Established Member
yea that is true it was a very humid day that day. I havent been to the track yet with it breaking in the spec 3+ , but i have run it in 3rd gear pulls on the street it deff feels like a beast(be4 the spec) I raced a friend in his 2010 camaro ss who has full exhuast,CAI,Throttle body, and tune. Lets just say he wants to trade it in now, wasn't even a contest and he hates on mustangs. I would love to have it dyno some where else just to see what it reads as well. I have a feeling there is restriction somewhere I know long tubes will free that up, But maybe in my heads as well? it pulls alot of boost and my tuner said it was climbing to 21 and even hit it one pull at 6,400 rpms.

04cobra408

NorCal SVTOA
Established Member
that does seem low but you dont have many mods?!

i plan on seeing 650+ on 12-13 psi but we will see next month/march

fyi i make 641 @ 22 on my 2.3

03killersnake

Wh1ppl3d F3d
Established Member
On 22 lbs on the 2.3 your running race fuel though or additive correct? I know I dont have many mods I went from a basic bolt on cobra to a 2.9L whipple. But after the break inis over on My Spec 3+ clutch I am doing LT headers, Stage 3 comp cams, MMR stage 3 head port seeing where boost drops too I am hoping 3-4 lbs. Then pulley it back up to atlest 22, maybe even 24,80lbs injectors and 110 race fuel. Then I'm hoping it will do 750-780 rwhp

04cobra408

NorCal SVTOA
Established Member
On 22 lbs on the 2.3 your running race fuel though or additive correct? I know I dont have many mods I went from a basic bolt on cobra to a 2.9L whipple. But after the break inis over on My Spec 3+ clutch I am doing LT headers, Stage 3 comp cams, MMR stage 3 head port seeing where boost drops too I am hoping 3-4 lbs. Then pulley it back up to atlest 22, maybe even 24,80lbs injectors and 110 race fuel. Then I'm hoping it will do 750-780 rwhp

once you do all that you should be closer where you should be. I have cams headers etc.... no port work or built motor. my buddy a 2.9 and made 660 no cams no fuel system so on and so on. i think ill make a couple more hp and be at less boost with my cams

ya at 22 im on 100.
@13 and 91 561 om the 2.3

the Lt's will get you 20 hp or so if not a lil more plus loss you boost so when you pully it back up itll be like 40 lol the cams , same type of deal i have stg 3 also

Last edited:

1320 Junkie

Established Member
LT's help to the tune of 20-30hp,timing on pump gas should be no higher than 18* on 20 psi...i seen 17psi on my 3.5" and made 666/572 but i have a ported lower intake and LT's so my boost shows lower. your good for your mods though...bump the timing a tad and you will pick up a little....get headers and you will see the gains, i wouldnt bother with cams for the $$ vs return...my engine is 55k mile stock and ive been to 740 on the stock inlet on 110 race gas and 25psi...the crusher inlet should put me into the 800+ range on 22psi...good luck with your combo.:beer:

mach1033

Established Member
Don't get caught up on dyno numbers. My car with the 2.9 stock upper and 4lb lower hit 640 on a mustang dyno. I was not happy. I was told don't worry about the numbers but how does it feel. I wasn't buying it. So I raced an 02 SS with a 418 stroker and a 150 shot of juice. His combo is in the 700's and I just barely beat him. At that point I didn't care what my dyno sheet said I knew I had a fast car. He was very surprised cause he didn't think I stood a chance.

2001Snake

It will be fast one day
Established Member
Headers man headers! Thats where your power is at.

I built a car for my friend and he has a 2.9,return fuel,long tubes,stingers,stage 3 comp cams and made 660/593.

i wouldnt bother with the head poirting unless you have to build the motor or something.

Hangman

Modding is Expensive
Established Member
Your numbers look about right for your mods, dyno numbers vary greatly, your making over 600 to the tire, add some LT's and up the timing a tad bit and you'll be up there. number are just numbers! If the car is running strong and is healthy you have nothing to stress about.

Nice ride!

03killersnake

Wh1ppl3d F3d
Established Member
To Anabolic, You have too with the 2.9 whipple forgot to put it in mod list its a 100 mm Accufab and intake is carbon fiber ram air with jlt 110 mm MAF with a SCT BA5000 if anyone was wondering. To hangman thanks and I know it needs headers badly, plus X I have was catless and they have a shitty pypes cats on it now. I have the money to do cams,heads,and valve job so why not right? plus I want the idle of the stage 3. also beefing up head studs and head gaskets while everything is off. Later plans are to pull motor out 2013 and do a MMR boss 5.3 stroker with crusher. thanks guys

gamebred26

Established Member
dyno jet or mustang dyno? my number and vid with graph below. 2.8h 20 lbs 16* 93 octane..comp stg 2s..bbk lts..behemoth inlet..jlt cai..

rai is always going to hurt a little too..

03killersnake

Wh1ppl3d F3d
Established Member
Dyno Jet. That car has cams and LTs also. I talked to my tuner today at the shop they fixing my other car. He was talking about me needing headers and we are wanting to do Cams,Head porting, and headers in one shot. He thinks at 20 lbs and with those mods its should go 680-700 so we will see:shrug: who knows.

Users who are viewing this thread