My 1998 Cobra is making this noise on right head

in4thewin24la

Established Member
I was driving it on the freeway at about 75 when I heard a pop and some weird clanging. I pulled off to the side and shut it down. I then towed it to my shop so I could figure out what it was. It makes a loud clanking noise on the driver side head and sounded to me as the top front rocker/valve. After getting the cover off (found a new easier way) and I am not seeing anything wrong. I haven't done a roll through yet just inspected rockers and springs as I thought that would be the issue. I did take the car to a shop last week as the exhaust sounded different to me and when I would drive next to a curb heard what I thought was an exhaust leak; not sure if has anything to do with what I have now or not. There was no exhaust leak they checked all bolts and nuts. To me I hear a different exhaust tone for that last couple weeks. Any idea's?

[video]https://youtu.be/NfqP0cbH1rA[/video]

98 N/A 4V

Established Member
Ouch. If all the followers (aka rockers) are on and not loose then the next thing I would associate that sound to would be a rod bearing. Did you lose oil pressure at any point?

-Mark

in4thewin24la

Established Member
No my oil pressure stayed the same. I am new to these motors but I was thinking it could be a lifter that stuck/broke or spring.

98 N/A 4V

Established Member
No my oil pressure stayed the same. I am new to these motors but I was thinking it could be a lifter that stuck/broke or spring.

Ok. Are you are sure the noise is coming from the drivers side head?

If it were me, I would borrow a bore scope and pull the plugs to see if there are any marks on the pistons from a valve hitting it.
But I think there is something on the brink of failure. Being around these motors for over 15yrs to me it sounds like a rod bearing.

Sounds awfully close to this 4.6 with a spun bearing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aH4RVygWeug

-Mark

Users who are viewing this thread