My 1996 Mustang GT Rant...

Dominick32

BANNED
I had this weird dream last night about my 1996 Mustang GT and figured I would write this little rant about the "SLOWNESS FACTOR". :-D I had so much pride in that car and I loved every minute of it but it was by far the slowest car in the world!!

I installed every bolt on to make this thing faster. After all, it was the first modular engine that ford produced for the mustang. Talk about a dog though guys.

Here was my list of mods:

Mac Catback Exhaust (gained a nice SOTP Feeling)
Mac Pro-Chamber (lost a nice SOTP feeling, lol)
Mac Cold Air Fenderwell Kit (no SOTP gain but a nice whoosh noise)
Steeda Underdrive Pulleys (made the most noticeable gain in power)
Autologic Chip (seemed to drive smoother and rev nicer in the upper power band)
AOD Shift Kit (you gotta love tire chirping action)

All for a grand total of: 198rwhp :bash:

I beat most 96,97 mustang gt's on the street but when I purchased my stock 2003 cobra it made my 96 mustang feel like a Prius...

I guess my rant was just that: in the beginning of modular it was tough times and guys like Jimmy Vaccaro figured it out to the T.... Check out Jimmy on a few pages here: http://www.procharger.com/race2001-1.html

http://www.musclemustangfastfords.com/events/0303_MMFFshootout/

Anyway here are some pictures of the dog that used to be mine:

gt1.jpg

gt2.jpg

gt3.jpg

Dom

Last edited:

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
a convertible, SN95, AODE car is the heaviest slowest mustang ever produced. Those things are turds! :)

Dominick32

BANNED
Kovachian said:
So what exactly are you trying to say?

Its called a Rant..

I was just ranting about how I feel about my old car and how slow it was.

Nothing special.. lol

I had this weird dream last night about my 1996 Mustang GT and figured I would write this little rant about the "SLOWNESS FACTOR". :-D

Last edited:

Canoodler

I hate speedbumps
Established Member
poopnut2 said:
Fox body 4 cylinders. 90bhp. But yes, 96's are slow as shit. Sad that most owners think they can beat 5.0's in them.
Sn-95 5.0's aren't exactly "fast" either. :p

HIGDON

Keeping The Red In
Established Member
I was able to HANG WITH my buddies 93GT when we were both stock as a rock. Then I did 4.10's and h-pipe back and I could nail him off the launch and eat him up in the top end. However 30MPH rolls were all for the driver. After the PI swap it was no contest. I would hand him his tail every single time, even after he put 3.73's in, bumped his timing, cat-back, pullies and a 73MM MAS. I agree though, the turd GT's are slow as snot from the factory, and they take nothing less than a head swap to make them worthy contenders for even the slowest Z28. I too had to just go bigger in mine, lol. I'm looking to get an 03/04 Cobra when I get back to the states so I can stop being picked on, lol.

Blackgeetee

Established Member
Here's my current 1998 PI'd "turd." It puts down 262rwhp and 294lbs at the wheels. Not very impressive on this board, but at least it's better than stock lol. Oh well, at least it sounds good..:p :banana: :pepper:

ampstang

Nobody F's w/ a Lion
Established Member
With my wife's old '00 V6 Mustang (with a few mods), I would go around raping the old GTs.

ampstang

Nobody F's w/ a Lion
Established Member
Blackgeetee said:
Here's my current 1998 PI'd "turd." It puts down 262rwhp and 294lbs at the wheels. Not very impressive on this board, but at least it's better than stock lol. Oh well, at least it sounds good..:p :banana: :pepper:

Those are pretty good numbers. Definately nothing to be ashamed about.

poopnut2

Lifelong Vagetarian
Established Member
Vancouver83LTD said:
looks like a nice car...
not even 200?
How many did those cars make out if the box?

It wasn't 140-160. It was more like 180rwhp. Mods just don't do shit for those cars. The heads just don't flow at all.

ampstang

Nobody F's w/ a Lion
Established Member
Aftermarket heads are the most valuable mod you can do for those cars.

Team Dave

I broke something
Established Member
I've heard of them dynoing at 191 to the wheels.

Yeah my car is slow too, but my next mods are a predator tune and 4.10 gears. That should make it reasonably quicker. Oh, not to mention I'm putting on a Vortech S-trim by May. 8 psi would give me a good boost in power.. :D

lemosley01

Right Wing Conspirator
Established Member
Vancouver83LTD said:
looks like a nice car...
not even 200?
How many did those cars make out if the box?

I believe they were rated for 215HP, but, like all 4.6 modulars (except the Terminators) the torque doesn't come on till the top-end. One of the reasons they weren't any faster than the 5.0L Fox.

I traded in my 96 GT (still bone stock to the paper filter) for the Cobra.

The 96 felt fast when I got it, but consider I was coming from a life of driving a 10 year old 2.5L 4cylinder Grand Am. My son's tricycle felt fast compared to that car.

Users who are viewing this thread