My 05 gto vs 01 lightning...

2tonOfun

Established Member
10+ psi?
Upper and lower pullies?
bucking?
He might want to figure out just what he has there.
An 8lb lower and a smaller upper? That's messed up (but not for long).

My truck pulled a stock 06 GTO from a dig by a truck length up to 80ish.
So, I'd say HIS TRUCK is kind of slow.
But the whole 45 roll thing is not the L's strongest race.

Last edited:

mr2cam

Established Member
Ya his lightning must have been running like shit, here is a vid of my friend racing a gto (headers and cai) vs his #4 lower Lightning [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sLfDy4OOGw"]YouTube - Lightning VS GTO[/ame] Oh and this was also an LS2 GTO

Last edited:

jdlightning33

Established Member
ya bro nothin against ur car at all.......my cuzin owns the same thing and i have my lightning mods in sig....and i can walk him fairly easy from a dig..even from say 30-50 i can...but if we are cruisin on the highway and mess around and start from say 80..its a whole new ball game

KduncSS

Ille qui nos omnes servab
Established Member
10+ psi?
Upper and lower pullies?
bucking?
He might want to figure out just what he has there.
An 8lb lower and a smaller upper? That's messed up (but not for long).

My truck pulled a stock 06 GTO from a dig by a truck length up to 80ish.
So, I'd say HIS TRUCK is kind of slow.
But the whole 45 roll thing is not the L's strongest race.

+1. Not sure why the OP is dissapointed, GTO's arent exactly lightweights. I would have thought the race to be closer would you still pulling slightly up top.

bmfgsxr

Established Member
good job, and i woudnt worry if i were you since you have a nice ride.. but the L was definately lacking something. upper and lower pullies? does your friend know what pullies are on the truck? and im guessing he did some of these mods without getting it tuned which makes a huge difference on the L. tell him to get it tuned before he destroys that poor truck.

2tonOfun

Established Member
upper and lower pullies? does your friend know what pullies are on the truck? and im guessing he did some of these mods without getting it tuned which makes a huge difference on the L. tell him to get it tuned before he destroys that poor truck.

My point exactly.

JohninMD

Established Member
Even with his truck running right you would get him on a top end race, but anything from a dig he should own at least through the 1/4. After that it's your race.

bmfgsxr

Established Member
Even with his truck running right you would get him on a top end race, but anything from a dig he should own at least through the 1/4. After that it's your race.

yep..

and as far as what he should run with his setup, well it all depends on what size pullies he is running.. with both upper and lower it could be numerous different setups anywhere from 3psi over stock which would be 11 and easily peg the stock gauge, up to 8lbs over stock. and the power difference would be huge. your talking a range of being able to run very low 13's possible 12's with 3psi increase all the way to very low 12's. it could be anything. he needs to measure his pullies, and register on this site to get the correct info. or just take it to a reputable tuner and have him figure it out.

drex

Off The Line
Established Member
To the OP good kill, your friends Lightning sounds like it is running bad. As others have said I think he should have it checked out.

supeg

Established Member
No he doesn't know what pullies it has on it or what boost it's at we do know it's more then pegging the stock boost guage so it's well over 10psi. His truck is running lean though and will buck slightly. My GTO trapped at 106 and this was with my granny shifting, with a better driver it would be around 108-110. What should a upper and lower pullied, predator tuned, exhaust, and k&n filter lightning be running. Also what is the traction link system? Any help would be appreciated thx. And you guys are right with his truck running right I would probably get outran, but like I said the faster we went the more my car would pull. But he got the jump on me slightly on the bottom end.

What? Stock Ls1 GTO's trap 106-110?

What track was this and what times did you get?

NewKid

Aliens
Established Member

I've got to disagree.

I've raced at least 3 LS2 GTO's, and actually pulled up top by a bit. I haven't lost to one yet.

Most recent was on Friday night. 40 punch. He honks, puts a car on me instantly (I start only a bit late) I pull him in and put a bumper on by 100-105ish. My mods are in sig. His mods, unknown. It was also on a long corner (sweeping turn on the highway, nothing outlandish, don't worry) and I was on the outside lane.

Last edited:

jdlightning33

Established Member
I've got to disagree.

I've raced at least 3 LS2 GTO's, and actually pulled up top by a bit. I haven't lost to one yet.

Most recent was on Friday night. 40 punch. He honks, puts a car on me instantly (I start only a bit late) I pull him in and put a bumper on by 100-105ish. My mods are in sig. His mods, unknown. It was also on a long corner (sweeping turn on the highway, nothing outlandish, don't worry) and I was on the outside lane.

i belive it bro

Patisi

Established Member
I've got to disagree.

Are there really up to 3 LS2 GTOs in San Marcos, TX? Really?

PhLoBuS

JDM/KB Lightning
Established Member
Well... my friend has one. I will race him and tell you how it goes. My mods are in sig his is bone stock.

Users who are viewing this thread