My 03 cobra build with pics

ZACH'S97

Established Member
I bought the car in November 2007 and ran with a crappy tune for quite awhile and a mp t70. Car ran 11.40 @118 on 10psi. Then I burned up two pistons. So I began my build. Here's my 03 cobra project.
Engine... .020 over teksid block, diamond 11.5cc pistons, svt manley rods, arp2000 rod bolts, arp2000 head studs, arp2000 mainstuds, speedpro bearings, moly rings gapped at 22/20, factory cobra crank, balanced. Lightly ported/cleaned up/milled 03 cobra heads, good valve job on stock valves, comp valve springs, 98 cobra intake cams, 03 exhaust cams, degreed very close to 111/111, ported mach 1 intake. Final compression ended up at 9.27:1.
Fuel...returnless for now...twin gt pumps, stage 2 fpdm, pprv delete, stock rails and lines, 60lb injectors, and buying an ais methanol injetion kit, stock maf with MAFia.
Turbo.... Custom built hot and cold side piping, ebay 24x12x3 front mount intercooler, 44mm ebay wastegate, ebay bov, masterpower t76 qtrim, 1.00 a/r, open 4" ss downpipe. BTW this turbo kit has stock ground clearance and works with stock suspension!
Suspension: Front- pa racing tubular k-member with spring perches. All other is stock up front.
MM full length Subframe connectors
Rear-UPR upper and lower control arms, spherical bushings, strange 10 way adjustable shocks, gt springs with 1.5 coils removed
Driveline: Built c5 automatic with hurst shifter and tci manual valve body (switching to transbrake early next year), foxbody driveshaft with lakewood loop, 31 spline 8.8 out of my 97 cobra with frpp diff cover, axles, and t-lok unit. Currently has 4.56 gears, but switching to 3.55s as soon as its done.
Wheels 15x4 &15x8 prostars 275 60 15 et street radials.
The car will be tuned on 13.4psi (my wastegate spring) and 16psi on 93 octane and spraying straight methanol. Let me know what you guys think! I’m eager to see what it makes and how it runs!
Here are some pics...I'll get more up as the project progresses!

88Rearend.jpg
[/IMG]
longblock.jpg
[/IMG]
shortblocktop.jpg
[/IMG]
bottomofshortblock.jpg
[/IMG]
roller03.jpg
[/IMG]
Turbopic.jpg
[/IMG]
enginein1.jpg
[/IMG]

ZACH'S97

Established Member
I'd also just like to emphasize that this custom turbo kit works with 100%stock suspension as I drove it that way for a long time with the stock motor. I added the pa racing k-member only to save a few pounds. I'll post pics of the ground clearance (which is like stock or better) when the car is all done.

ZACH'S97

Established Member
Feel free to make comments on this and please make estimates on performance (power and 1/4 times). It will be on a 13.4lb waste gate spring and then 16 and 18 psi on my manual controller on 93 octane plus methanol. On 18psi my goal is to get it into the 9's on a drag radial.

ZACH'S97

Established Member
I'll get pics up of the hotside piping soon. Also if anyone is interested in having an intake like that done pm me.

Janstang

Established Member
Transbrake FTW.. Have you had the converter reflashed from when I had it? If not, I think it will be pretty damn close for what you have in mind.. Who is doing the hotside stuff for you?

ZACH'S97

Established Member
A local shop 417motorsports built it a couple years ago. The downpipe is being redone in 4" Ss instead of 3" steel. No ihavent had it reflashed.

ZACH'S97

Established Member
Thanks for the compliment. Unfortunately between getting sick and the Holidays I don't have any updates. I hope to make some more progress this week though.

ZACH'S97

Established Member
Blake built the hot side piping and the inlet pipe for the car. I'm having a friend do the new down pipe. Blake did the last one, but the new turbo has a 4bolt flange and rather than just convert my 3" down pipe I figured I'd try to pick up a little by going to a 4" pipe.

ZACH'S97

Established Member
Well it had a mail order base tune, ran hot bc of overflow location, mafia broke so no mass air reading, blown intake gasket, etc... I was stupid and knew about the tune, but it lived for a year like that so I got greedy and left it alone.

ZACH'S97

Established Member
Honestly, I'm not handling it lol. It was always just vented to the atmosphere before. My friend has a turbo 05 gt and its set up similarly. He ended up running the blow off back in front of the mass air (he has a 6" straight pipe between the mass air and the filter). He said it helped with a surging problem he had.

Users who are viewing this thread