My 02 GT vs. buddies 97 SS

nyerpp

Established Member
Hey all,

Sweet assed, I figured out my 1st post on my lunch break!

I have a good buddy with a mildly moddified 97 6spd black Z28SS, I have a stock 2002 5spd GT (sans air silencer, with KN filter). Anyways he has a full corsa exhaust, 1-1/2 equal length headers, 2.5 inch Y-pipe, ans 2 chamber mufflers, awesome sound too.

I've driven his car, by seat of the pants it is easily a second quicker than mine in the qtr mile, but he drives like an old man. So last year were were at a local track (Sparta Speedway) and I convinced him to bring his car. I drive my car fairly hard and I was turning 14.2's and 14.3's for most of the night at 98-99 mph, which I thought was very decent for a full weight stock GT. He was runnig mid-hi 14's at the same trap speed.

I took his car out and granny shifted at 5 grand and turned 14.3 at about 101 or 102, so I know there is nothing wrong with his car, but properly driven this is a 13.0 second car @105-106 mph in the qtr mi yes/no?

Lastly if my wife will allow me I will be putting a Vortech S/Q base kit on my car this summer (8 lbs of boost or so), I would think this should put me in the low 13's on stock tires. Do you think I would be a match for his car then in the same state it is in now

Regards,

Mike :shrug:

charged98cobra

Legal gru
Established Member
nyerpp said:
Hey all,

Sweet assed, I figured out my 1st post on my lunch break!

I have a good buddy with a mildly moddified 97 6spd black Z28SS, I have a stock 2002 5spd GT (sans air silencer, with KN filter). Anyways he has a full corsa exhaust, 1-1/2 equal length headers, 2.5 inch Y-pipe, ans 2 chamber mufflers, awesome sound too.

I've driven his car, by seat of the pants it is easily a second quicker than mine in the qtr mile, but he drives like an old man. So last year were were at a local track (Sparta Speedway) and I convinced him to bring his car. I drive my car fairly hard and I was turning 14.2's and 14.3's for most of the night at 98-99 mph, which I thought was very decent for a full weight stock GT. He was runnig mid-hi 14's at the same trap speed.

I took his car out and granny shifted at 5 grand and turned 14.3 at about 101 or 102, so I know there is nothing wrong with his car, but properly driven this is a 13.0 second car @105-106 mph in the qtr mi yes/no?

Lastly if my wife will allow me I will be putting a Vortech S/Q base kit on my car this summer (8 lbs of boost or so), I would think this should put me in the low 13's on stock tires. Do you think I would be a match for his car then in the same state it is in now

Regards,

Mike :shrug:

With a vortech?? Are you kidding me???? a properly done supercharged GT should be at least in the 12's, you will kill him.

poopnut2

Lifelong Vagetarian
Established Member
I guess you're at a pretty high elevation to be running such crappy times. Here, an LT-1 with full exhaust should run mid 13's. Your car stock should be running high 13's with a little practice.

joegt38

Established Member
His car is more likely a mid 13 sec car now.

You with 8#s will kill him, trust me you'll also do better then low 13s also.
My 02GT was as quick as my LT1z stock for stock.

My 02 GT with 10#s is faster then my LT1 w/ 100shot.

nyerpp

Established Member
Wow, thanks for the quick response, I thought LT1's and especially SS's would be much faster than mid 13's with a full exhaust. We are at 500 feet or so for sea level, we are in Ontario. I also figured low 14's for a stock GT were good, I am the fastest stock GT I have ever seen, most around here are mid 14's at best. My 60 foot times are 2.2-2.3, so I know I could vastly improve there, but I will never put anything other than street rubber on my car to save the drive train components.

More impressively is 8# and 12's and 10#'s and you're faster than your LT1 with a 100 shot of nitrous, I'd never have guessed. I guess I have to learn allot about driving, I've had three 5.0's from a 1986 GT to a 1991 and 1993 LX coupe, a dog ass slow 97 GT and my 2002 GT and my 2002 by far pulls the hardest.

Mike

poopnut2

Lifelong Vagetarian
Established Member
nyerpp said:
Wow, thanks for the quick response, I thought LT1's and especially SS's would be much faster than mid 13's with a full exhaust. We are at 500 feet or so for sea level, we are in Ontario. I also figured low 14's for a stock GT were good, I am the fastest stock GT I have ever seen, most around here are mid 14's at best. My 60 foot times are 2.2-2.3, so I know I could vastly improve there, but I will never put anything other than street rubber on my car to save the drive train components.

More impressively is 8# and 12's and 10#'s and you're faster than your LT1 with a 100 shot of nitrous, I'd never have guessed. I guess I have to learn allot about driving, I've had three 5.0's from a 1986 GT to a 1991 and 1993 LX coupe, a dog ass slow 97 GT and my 2002 GT and my 2002 by far pulls the hardest.

Mike

Well then at that elevation both of you should be running quicker times than you are. You should be around 13.8's or so and your friend should be doing 13.5's. The 4.6's don't seem like they'd be too hard to launch. It was much easier getting traction in those(when I was getting on it) then in my 5.0 even in bone stock trim.

joegt38

Established Member
nyerpp said:

Mike
My LT1 with 100 shot was putting down near 350-360rwhp I for got the xact HP but my auto GT put down 385rwhp a stock 5spd GT with 8#s will put down near 380rwhp. My tranny is still a stock auto. Just look at my cardomain page in my sig for mods and dyno sheets.

http://www.cardomain.com/id/joegtstang

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread