My 01' Cobra dies when coming to a stop, occasionally, HELP!

Snake Eyez

Established Member
Here's the problem. The first night I took the car home, I was in second gear and slowing down to make a turn onto my street, I pushed in the clutch and the car died, no more power brakes or steering. Not a good thing. So I told my dealer about this and he said that the car is just new and it'll go away with time. I don't know about you, but I've never had a new car do this before, and I've had 4 in the last 4 years. OK, so I chalk it up to a one time problem. Then it happens again, same situation, only this time I'm coming up to a stoplight and my GF is in the car, so I have someone to attest that I'm not crazy. Well, it happened again this morning, coming up to a stoplight to make a turn. Now it's starting to piss me off. :gt: I paid a lot of money for this car, and I know this is not right.
Has anyone else had this problem, or heard of this problem? :-? Anyone have any idea what it could be, or how to fix it. I know that the dealer won't be able to duplicate this since it just kinda happens sporadically. It doesn't matter whether the AC is on or off, it happens both ways. I have right around 2900 miles on the car nad it is 2 months old. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

TIA,

xs-speed

Established Member
Hi,my 97cobra did the same thing when i first had it.I changed the throttle body for a BBK twin 62mm when i put the supercharger on,same thing again.I checked the throttle body ,on the top of it there is a small Allen screw, get a key that fit it and try unscrewing it a quarter turn at a time. This fixed my problem,just to make sure i wasnt immagining things i swapped T/B and did the same thing and sure enough the thing worked OK afterwards. Hope this works for you also.

COBRA90GT

The Joe is rockin'
Established Member
Sounds like a warranty job to me..maybe the PCM needs to be "flashed" (?). Or could be vacuum leak...I'd take it in to get it checked out though, just to be on the safe side.

Snake Eyez

Established Member
It now does it on almost a daily basis. It went into the shop this morning. Hopefully the dealer can fix it. Thanks for the replies.

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
sounds like a vacuum leak to me. on a higher compression engine like ours, it happens easier, and if the lead is getting worse it will start happening more often.

Snake Eyez

Established Member
Well, got the car back, and of course, Ford says they can't find anything wrong with it. They said if it doesn't throw any codes, they can't figure out what's wrong, or how to fix it. They recommended I remove the BBK CAI and replace it with the stock unit and see if it continues to be a problem. I said I would, since I know it has nothing to do with the CAI. This problem started the first time I brought the car home from the dealer, with no mods on it.

You guys mentioned vacumn leaks, how would they test for this, or find it if there is one?

TIA,

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
well testing for vacuum leaks is much simpler on a smaller, simpler motor. I'm not exactly sure how you would go about it on the 32V, there's a lot of sealing surfaces in the intake tract. i can ask my mechanic how he would suggest going about it and get back to you.

BTW, in my experience, if the tech at the dealership doesn't get a code from the car, they're clueless, because they have their little manuals that walk them through everything. certified my ass.

P51 Pilot

Established Member
I have just started to experience the exact same phenom on my car at about the 4k mile point . In the last 5 weeks, it has died 3 times under the same conditions that Eric mentioned. It will be raised at my next service, with this email string as backup evidence.

Marc

Forcedfed

Established Member
Just so you know you are not crazy, My car did the same thing to me the first month I had it. It was under the 2,000 mile mark and I just assumed it was driver error.:p Glad to know its not, but I never found out what caused it. My problem just went away. Good luck. :bash:

COBRASVT

Established Member
me 2

I had the same thing happening last week.

I searched the corral and found the fix like the second post stated.

I adjusted the screw (mine is a flathead) on my BBK twin 62mm TB. I had to screw it all the way in, but it took care of the dying problem when coming to a stop with the clutch in.

It's only been 3 days, but it was doing it 5 times a day before the adjustment.

Good luck all...

Ed

BTW...anyone know what that adjustment is for???

Users who are viewing this thread