mustang vs supra

ragshockey88

Established Member
those good old ricers r always talkin about civics and supras. now 1st someone tells me a civic can beat a GT, cobra, and saleen. same with the supra which i know has power. BUT WHAT PISSED ME OFF IS SOMEONE SAID A CIVIC CAN BEAT A FERRARI ENZO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THATS WRONG AND DISRESPECTFUL. what is your take on the supra vs all levels of the mustang??

SVTHorsnake

Banned
Originally posted by ragshockey88
those good old ricers r always talkin about civics and supras. now 1st someone tells me a civic can beat a GT, cobra, and saleen. same with the supra which i know has power. BUT WHAT PISSED ME OFF IS SOMEONE SAID A CIVIC CAN BEAT A FERRARI ENZO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THATS WRONG AND DISRESPECTFUL. what is your take on the supra vs all levels of the mustang??

first off, welcome to the site, secondly, the supra is overated... any N/A supra is worthless and the turbos aren't any different than any other turbo cars...

2JZ! 2JZ! 2JZ MY ASS! how's about H22B? Now we're talking about a mean import...:coolman:

Last edited:

T-Bolt

Official 'ring tow rig...
Established Member
Well, with enough money, anything can beat anything. You dump 12k into a Civic, and it's a little faster than a STOCK GT. Or you could sell your POS for 3k, buy a GT for 12, and spend the other 3 on the motor.

f_rice

EFF GM AND CHRYSLER!!!!
Established Member
Do not discredit the 2JZ engine. Any stock shortblock that is forged and capable of handling 900 or so HP is damn impressive. I think the 2JZ and RB26DETT (Nissan Skyline) are two of the most kickass turbo engines ever produced. :rockon:

That being said, while the engine is awesome, the Supra is limited by some other things.

1. IRS, Supras are known for wheel hop. The Cobras are capable of it too, but more Cobra owners seem to launch better.

2. This one is a bit more complicated.

3.0Liter of displacement+ a manual+ a huge single turbo needed to generate lots of boost and huge horsepower numbers.

Turbos lag, the bigger the turbo the more the lag. So when you need lots of boost to make power due to only 3.0 liters of displacement, it is hard to use the Supras peak power in a 1/4 mile. Also with a manual, each shift requires releasing the throttle and causes PSI to drop, making it even harder to maximize the effects of the big turbocharger.

Supras are very impressive highway cars, because they can reach their maximum PSI on a highway.

As for the 1/4 mile there is the timeless Supra joke....

What does a 500hp Supra have in common with a 700HP and 900HP Supras??
An 11 second timeslip. <insert rimshot here>

SERprise SVT

Sleepers are fun
Established Member
Originally posted by T-Bolt
Well, with enough money, anything can beat anything. You dump 12k into a Civic, and it's a little faster than a STOCK GT. Or you could sell your POS for 3k, buy a GT for 12, and spend the other 3 on the motor.

It doesn't take $12k. This I know as fact.

Either way...you have a $15k depreciating asset sitting the driveway.

oldnfast

approaching ancient
Established Member
I have seen 10 sec Civics on TV. Of course, by their own admission, the engines were good for only 8-12 runs.

I have raced only one Supra, and that was on the highway where they supposedly run better. It might as well have been a Civic.
:shrug:

charged98cobra

Legal gru
Established Member
Well as far as mustangs go, I know a guy that has a steeda with 10k in mods and is pushing around 800 rwhp, I am gonna try to get a dyno from him soon, oh yeah, and that is without the 175 shot that he added, also I am gonna try and look up his actual mods.... also there is a man by the name of Gabe from southern california with 40k in a 95 street legal cobra, pushing around the 1400rwhp neighborhood. Haven't seen many civics on the road do that one...... Gabes car is the red one in the center

www.gofastfords.com

For more info just call them.

Yellow98SVT

T-trim, bitches
Established Member
My younger bother has an 02 Civic with bolt on's and a 75 wet shot that will nearly run my near stock 98 Cobra w/o spray, dead even. Because of the weight difference...the Cobra needs about 1/3 more horsepower to outrun the smaller import car. However, as my brother says when I point out that I could run a Ferrari F355 dead even with spray he loves to point out..."You may beat him or run him dead even, but, he's still driving a Ferrari and youre still in a Ford" He may beat me eventually, but, his ass is still sitting in a Civic.

Last edited:

oldnfast

approaching ancient
Established Member
Originally posted by charged98cobra
Well as far as mustangs go, I know a guy that has a steeda with 10k in mods and is pushing around 800 rwhp, I am gonna try to get a dyno from him soon, oh yeah, and that is without the 175 shot that he added, also I am gonna try and look up his actual mods.... also there is a man by the name of Gabe from southern california with 40k in a 95 street legal cobra, pushing around the 1400rwhp neighborhood. Haven't seen many civics on the road do that one...... Gabes car is the red one in the center

www.gofastfords.com

For more info just call them.

Tell Gabe that this cowboy's green with envy. :beer:

carrrnuttt

My shit don't stink
Established Member
Originally posted by f_rice

What does a 500hp Supra have in common with a 700HP and 900HP Supras??
An 11 second timeslip. <insert rimshot here>

I do get the humor behind what you just said, but, I just thought I'd share my experience at the Import VS. Domestic (they called it Detroit meets Japan) thing we had at Speedworld Motorplex, here in AZ.

There were three Supras there. The slowest one was running mid 9's, and all were street-legal. The one running high 8's was only claiming about 800-RWHP.

That amazed me.

waytofastvette

Buh Bye !
My car is faster than the space shuttle. Thats In the same relm as A civic being faster than a enzo. The only way i can see a civic being faster than a enzo is if a mclaren F1 is towing it :-D

charged98cobra

Legal gru
Established Member
Originally posted by waytofastvette
My car is faster than the space shuttle. Thats In the same relm as A civic being faster than a enzo. The only way i can see a civic being faster than a enzo is if a mclaren F1 is towing it :-D

Im with him, show me a civic that is street legal that can beat a enzo.... or better yet, show me a 1400 wheel horse power dyno of a civic or supra for that matter......:shrug:

LittleSalfromSH

Established Member
well supras used are still like 25k... get rid of the POS twins and upgrade to a single and your looking at another 5 gs. With drs + BPU you'll be in the high 11s at least. For around the same price get a cobra.

f_rice

EFF GM AND CHRYSLER!!!!
Established Member
Originally posted by carrrnuttt
I do get the humor behind what you just said, but, I just thought I'd share my experience at the Import VS. Domestic (they called it Detroit meets Japan) thing we had at Speedworld Motorplex, here in AZ.

There were three Supras there. The slowest one was running mid 9's, and all were street-legal. The one running high 8's was only claiming about 800-RWHP.

That amazed me.

That is damn impressive. Sounds like Supra owners there practice launching.

Do you know if they were autos or manuals? I cannot see the logic of using a stick with a huge turbo and lots of lag.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member

Do you know if they were autos or manuals? I cannot see the logic of using a stick with a huge turbo and lots of lag.

The fastest supras are 6 spds, however it's pretty common that the quickest supras are the autos.

carrrnuttt

My shit don't stink
Established Member

The 8-second one was auto, I believe, although it was dark in the cabin, and I couldn't be sure.

The silver one on this page: http://store.yahoo.net/wotmstore/ was one of the ones running mid 9's on apparently, boost only. That one's a six-speed.

WyoTechMSA

Rampage Skeet Hen
Established Member
Re: Re: mustang vs supra

Originally posted by SVTHorsnake

2JZ! 2JZ! 2JZ MY ASS! how's about H22B? Now we're talking about a mean import...:coolman:

did you honestly just compare a H22B HONDA engine to a friggin 2JZ that can handle 1000hp on the stock bottom end. You cant get into this debate because H22Bs are all turbo, 2JZ has a TT and N/A setup. Stock 2JZ TT vs. Stock H22B and ill take the Toyota anyday of the week.

Users who are viewing this thread