Mustang or Cobra?

Scott A.

New Cobraholic
Established Member
Anyone know why some Cobras have MUSTANG in the rear bumper and some have COBRA? I always wondered that? Maybe its a year thing or maybe a assembly plant thing, also the Snake emblem faceing front or back. Just wondered...

97cobraheaven

Established Member
same reason why the hoods are different, Ford just had not made anything different for the Cobra yet. as far as the emblems, 93 and i think that is the only year that had the cobras facing front and back because they just used the same snake for both sides and did not have a proper one made. someone else can go more in depth if they really feel like it.

CleanCobra

The Anti-Bling
Established Member
Scott A. said:
Anyone know why some Cobras have MUSTANG in the rear bumper and some have COBRA? I always wondered that? Maybe its a year thing or maybe a assembly plant thing, also the Snake emblem faceing front or back. Just wondered...

94-95' have the gt hood and rear bumper, while 96-98's have the hood with the dual scoops facing forward, and COBRA in the bumper. 96-98's have the GT spoiler, while 94-95's have a cobra specific one. And 93 was the year of the opposite facing cobra emblems.

Last edited:

Scott A.

New Cobraholic
Established Member
My 94' has REAR facing snakes on the fenders, and I have the COBRA in the rear bumper. I knew about the hood thing and the fact the 94'-95' has NO brake light in the decklid, only the L.E.D's in the spoiler

SVTCobra306

Established Member
That's not right.... My '94 has the snakes facing forward on both sides.

94, 95, and 99 Cobras all had MUSTANG rear bumpers because, as mentioned before, they simply didn't have the stuff developed. '96-98, 01, and '03-04 all had COBRA in the back. Some have also changed (including me, I have a '97 Cobra rear on mine).

They didn't change the hood because they didn't need to to clear the 5.0 motor. I don't think a 4V 96-98 will fit under a stock GT hood, so they came up with one with a slight bulge so it would fit.

CleanCobra

The Anti-Bling
Established Member
I was only talking 94-98 Cobras, not 99, 01 or anything else. The bulge in the 96-98 hood is there to clear the 4.6, which is larger than the 5.0. Plus, the hood is badass. :rockon:

Last edited:

blkstangman88

Established Member
i love the hood on the 96-98. one thing ive notice is i could swear the brothers 95 cobra had "working" vents, i mean those vent right behind the door that should go to the tire and when i picked up my 97 no real vent was there. i could be crazy tho. i also like the spoiler on the 94/95 better then the gt spoilers that came on the 96-98 mainly cuz i want my third brake lite in the spoiler and not the trunk lid.

greenstang1313

back in black
Established Member
Scott A. said:
My 94' has REAR facing snakes on the fenders, and I have the COBRA in the rear bumper. I knew about the hood thing and the fact the 94'-95' has NO brake light in the decklid, only the L.E.D's in the spoiler

your car didnt come stock with a cobra rear bumper. All 94-95 came with MUSTANG engraved in the rear.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
blkstangman88 said:
i could swear the brothers 95 cobra had "working" vents, i mean those vent right behind the door that should go to the tire and when i picked up my 97 no real vent was there. i could be crazy tho.

nah, your not crazy 94s (even the V6's) and i believe 95s also, had actual "functional" rear vents. if you look in the rear wheel well, you can see where the vents exit. ;-)

Users who are viewing this thread