Mustang Limp Mode?

SVTMang

Established Member
I own a 2011 GT/CS full bolt ons and tune. Decided to run a friend tonight. Probably the hardest I ever had been on the 5.0 since I have owned it. 4 back to back runs against a friend just messing around. Of course each one had time to let the motor cool down with a couple minutes between each one. Ended up at the end of our 4th it started misfiring something awful. I was scared to death cause I'm really not feeling like pulling a 5.0 Coyote, lol. Thought I had cylinder 8 failure or possibly killed a lifter. Pulled into a gas station to get a lil gas and scanned the car with the SCT x3. Ended up coming up with a fault code P0000, P0300, and P0301. Cleared the codes, no more misfire. Only thing I can come up with is either where my tune is slightly off for my no tune required intake, maybe the car didn't like the beating, or the tune is corrupt? Opinions? P0000 is unlisted (I know, weird huh?), P0300 is Random Misfire, and P0301 is Cylinder 1 Misfire.

Last edited:

SVTMang

Established Member
Pull all the plugs and read them.

umury3a3.jpg

Cylinder 2 is on the left, Cylinder 1 is on the right. Both look a lil lean. Not oily or anything tho. May change my fuel filter, its about due @ 42k miles and the fuel light just came on during the last run so maybe it just went lean and tried to save itself?

Sent from my Motorola RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2

SVTMang

Established Member
No fuel filter to change. Were you running it hard low on fuel? That's a no no.

Well, it had over a quarter tank at the beginning. I had no idea he'd wanna run me 4 times. Fuel gauge drops quick when you do that. Fuel light came on at the end of the run.

ViciousJay

Established Member
I've never had an issue running a car with the fuel light on or at a 1/4 tank just spirt driving.

SVTMang

Established Member
bet you still had 5 gallons in the tank.

That's what I was thinking. That was the lowest I ever let the gauge get to with running it hard. Usually if its at or close to a quarter I fill it up especially if I'm running someone. :/ OH WELL lol...at least it didn't break something. No more back to back 4 runs. Especially not on less than a quarter tank.

QTR

STAGE 3
Established Member
Well, I don't wanna scare you. But that's how I lost my #6. Random misfire and cylinder 6 misfire after running it hard. I'd do a compression check if I were you.

SVTMang

Established Member
Well, I don't wanna scare you. But that's how I lost my #6. Random misfire and cylinder 6 misfire after running it hard. I'd do a compression check if I were you.

Did you clear the code and the misfire stop?

QTR

STAGE 3
Established Member
Did you clear the code and the misfire stop?

Yes I did, and it stopped for a while, then came back and then I knew it was too late. It's probably different in your case though, but I just wanted you to be more careful and go easy on the car for a while until you figure this out.

SVTMang

Established Member
Yes I did, and it stopped for a while, then came back and then I knew it was too late. It's probably different in your case though, but I just wanted you to be more careful and go easy on the car for a while until you figure this out.

I beat on it through 1st 2nd and 3rd today close to my shop so if it did let go I wasn't far away. It did just fine. Only issue I had was after I deleted the codes it was a little hesitant to take fuel from a dead stop but I think it just reset the fuel trims cause now its fine. Had over 1/4 tank. No issue so Idk. I'll hop on the interstate one day and do a pull to see if it lets go. If its gonna do it I'd rather be close by.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread