Mustang GT with a Lightning 5.4

Jkstang78

Established Member
I know of a notchback with a 03 cobra motor, I know that Muscle Mustang was doing a project like that with a lightning motor in a 87-93 car.

Helix

The Beast
Established Member
I know anything possible this day in time. I guess I was thinking if I was going to put that much money and work into a GT I would of took a different route. Probably would of used the 4.6 But you also have to know the guy that told me that. With that said, I don't believe it until I see it. Not saying it can't be done. Just this guy is know for some BS.

Helix

BTW, I bet thats one bad GT!!:burnout:

Last edited:

SNCBOOM

Established Member
Yeah if you're talking about NC I think there is...Chris with the White 99 L has some pictures...I think he's personal friends with the owner.

USMCracing

Established Member
I've seen pics of that L powered GT, its red with 00R body parts and huge HOOD to cover that beast of Engine. The MM&FF project car with the L engine is bad ass too, with no big engine mods teyran mid to high 10s. I think it was a 86 notchback and code name "Frightning" really cool car. They had to cut a hole in the hood for the intake on the blower.

Helix

The Beast
Established Member
With todays technology, if you can think it. Someone out there can make it. Its that simple now days. Just takes a little green.

Helix

03CobraBro

Established Member
Damn, L motor in a 3400lbs Mustang GT body... and we all thought 460lbs of torque sunk us into the seat inside a 4600lbs Lightning! :eek: Couldnt imagine L power underneath the hood of a Mustang GT.

03CobraBro

Established Member
Originally posted by Aaron_01
*cough*Cobra R*cough*

Yeah but that was a DOHC N/A 5.4... While its superior to the SOHC 5.4 in just about every way, its the Torque thats killer when it comes to the L's 5.4.

03CobraBro

Established Member
Originally posted by USMCracing
Here's a guy that droped a 5.4 L engine in a Mustang II. I don't know his name but its the guy with the PSP 01 Lightning which is for sale on ebay.
http://www.modularfords.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=62831
You really can't call it a sleeper cause of the S/C sticking out of the hood. Cool looking car, can't to hear what kind of times he gets.
Steven

Now that would be something... esspecially since those Mustang II's weight right around 3000lbs or less. Mustang II's arent the prettiest automobiles, but with enough power what are looks for anyway? :rolling:

99RedSVT

Established Member
Its a pretty cool idea but not to fond of the car it would have looked better in like a tricked out 67 stang coupe like the one i have..

Aaron_01

Banned
Originally posted by 03CobraBro
Damn, L motor in a 3400lbs Mustang GT body... and we all thought 460lbs of torque sunk us into the seat inside a 4600lbs Lightning! :eek: Couldnt imagine L power underneath the hood of a Mustang GT.

Why is the SOHC 5.4 more torquey than the DOHC?

SNKBITE

Established Member
Longer stroke to begin with.
Yes, Sal the owner of the 10.48 128 mph 1/4 mile Lightning that is for sale on E-Bay has a Lightning motor in a Mustang. Keep up with the SVT news from the New York, New Jersey next spring and you will see a lot of this car.It is one of the reasons he is selling his Lightning.
Marc

03CobraBro

Established Member
Originally posted by Aaron_01
Why is the SOHC 5.4 more torquey than the DOHC?

I'd assume its the same effect as the SOHC 4.6 compared to the DOHC 4.6. The SOHC reaches its powerband at a much at a much lower RPM than the DOHC 4.6. Im fairly certain, judging by the hp to torque ratio the Lightning has, it works the same with the SOHC 5.4 in comparison to the DOHC 5.4. Beyond that your guess is as good as mine. Has something to do with the way to cams work I think. :shrug:

I dont want to say anymore than that, dont want to sound like a fool. :D

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread