Mustang Dyno numbers 03

machslammer

Established Member
1st of all sorry for long post!
Took the car yesterday to a mustang dyno. They put a load on the machine to make it "true" numbers, but dyno numbers are just numbers. Really took the car to see what my a/f was like.
The guy who had my car before me reported it made 503 rwhp and 485 rwtq on a dyno jet with 12.1 a/f across the board and 15.9 lbs of boost. They obviously had a wierd dyno or something was just wrong. Haven't done any power mods since I bought the car from him.
Yesterday, the car with the same mods made 476rwhp and 477rwtq at 14lbs of boost on the mustang dyno. The a/f was ok. It spiked a little lean 11.9-12.0 at 5k but then fell back down. The belt was slipping after 4500rpms. He punched it at 3200. This was all with 2.8 upper, 3 set idlers, gordsford HE, apten port, RWTD tune, off road x, borla catback, and FIPK.
2nd run after changing plugs from denso iridiums to NGK tr8's the car made same hp and tq, but the torque gained like 2rwtq from 5k-5400. Wierd huh. Started all runs at same speed so we could monitor it all.
3rd run we changed the belt from a 74 1/2 to a 73 3/4. VERY TIGHT BELT! Made the same hp but a little less tq. 1-2 ft lbs, but car was a little hot when we started the run. The car did make even more tq longer though because no belt slip. It dropped off from 14 lbs to 13 lbs at around 5600.

Sound about right to everyone?

machslammer

Established Member
Oh and I forgot to mention my mass air is maxed at 4.9 volts. It is ok now, but what should I go to next as far as mods? Mafia extender, accufab throttle body, and 2-4lb lower? Other than whipple/kb, or turbo.. what other mods? Thanks.

type911

Heave To....
Established Member
Nothing wrong with those numbers. the Mustang dynos in my old area read about 5% less then the dyno jets. so 477 at 5% does equal 503 on a dynojet.

machslammer

Established Member
cool. the guy said if I had come on a colder, less humid day that it would have made 490-500. It is always so humid here in tennessee during the spring/summer months.

SVTkel

SVTKel
Established Member
I had my car dynoed 2 weeks apart. The first time I went on a dyno jet and got 424 rwhp on my 94 tune. 2 weeks later I took it to a MD to verify the A/F (precat bung)and it dynoed 390 rwhp. On the MD you could tell the car was working harder as it took much longer to get to the redline. Some say 10% lower HP on MD.

What I did discover is all Dyno's vary and some are way off. Let the track be your true test. I have beat higher dyno #'s Cobra's at the track.

type911

Heave To....
Established Member
SVTkel said:
I had my car dynoed 2 weeks apart. The first time I went on a dyno jet and got 424 rwhp on my 94 tune. 2 weeks later I took it to a MD to verify the A/F (precat bung)and it dynoed 390 rwhp. On the MD you could tell the car was working harder as it took much longer to get to the redline. Some say 10% lower HP on MD.

What I did discover is all Dyno's vary and some are way off. Let the track be your true test. I have beat higher dyno #'s Cobra's at the track.

Any times with your new setup?

Steel Horse

Established Member
Bet you went to Intune Motorsports down in Charleston? He's the only one around I know with that dyno. I made 455/418 with a 2.93 havent been back since I swapped to my 2.80

SVTkel

SVTKel
Established Member
type911 said:
Any times with your new setup?

I went to the track 2 weeks ago and got the same best times 12.7X as before my tune. One thing is my trap speeds went up by around 2 mph as my best is now 112.24 mph.

However, it was very hot and humid and the track prep was brutal as it was a grudge match setup. I couldn't launch worth a crap and the timers didn't seem to be giving 60' times on most of my runs so I do not have much to compare. So it was a bit of write off. But the car felt a lot stronger and the MGW made a difference also. In fact I think the extra power even makes it harder to launch the car properly.

Later in the year I will go to the better local track, but I expect to be around 12.6's until I get some track tires.

Users who are viewing this thread