Must see things in Arizona

Adower

Established Member
Will be spending a week in Scottsdale AZ in early May. Any locals on here that can recommend some family friendly "must do" things in Scottsdale or nearby?

MFE

Established Member
Odysea Aquarium is cool for the family, and if they dig cars there's a huge show at The Pavilions at Indian Bend west of 101 every saturday evening, and a mid-week drive up to Sedona is a good way to spend a day. There's no place else like it and it's only 1.5-2 hours away.

JPKII

Established Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Scottsdale Gun Club.

Great rental packages. We rented an MP5k and a Swedish K a few years ago. Very fun. Can go all the way up to an M240 if your pockets are deep enough. ;)

The GE M134 may be gone now. But you could do a private rental on that many years ago. I'm sure the price was mind-blowing.

FIVEHOE

Established Member
+1 to Scottsdale Gun Club and Sedona, but you will need to go early in the morning to avoid a long wait at SGC.

Would definitely recommend a day trip and go through Prescott > jerome > Sedona. pretty nice drive and great views.

Blown 89

Established Member
If you go up to Sedona or Prescott skip the Google map recommendations and go up Route 89. Jerome is worth a visit too. Rent some jet skis and explore the tributaries of Lake Pleasant if the water is high enough. If you're coming from a free state skip Scottsdale gun club, it's a shit show full of arrogance, stupidity, and mediocrity. The Pavillions car show is worth a trip too. The Botanical Gardens and The Phoenix Zoo suck IMO, skip them. The Museum of Natural History in Mesa is worth a quick trip if you're down there.

The culinary scene in Phoenix Metro is world class. It's taken a significant hit from Covid but there are still great places. The Farm at South Mountain (Quiessence for dinner, Morning Glory for brunch), Lon's, Different Pointe of View, Nook Kitchen, Richardson's (eat in the basement). We have some really good breweries too, Four Peaks and OHSO are the big hitters. The beer is good but the food hasn't quite recovered from Covid.

If you're into the outdoors there are a million things to do. Montezuma's Castle is really cool, there are a ton of nice trails to hike too. It shouldn't be too hot then but make sure to bring water. Travelers that believe it's hotter where they are from because of the heat index, humidity, blah blah blah are usually the ones airlifted off the mountain trails. The heat will literally kill you here. The last month I worked at the Phoenician a man came stumbling across the golf course off the trails and died in my coworker's arms from heat stroke.....that was the second time that happened in the three years I worked there. The heat here is on a different level.

Have fun....and please go home after you visit. Arizona is full.

specracer

SVTOA MCA
Premium Member
If you want to head south to Tucson, there is Pima air museum, as well at the Titan nuclear missile silo museum. In Scottsdale there is a Top Golf, if you have never been to one, its pretty cool. Do have lunch in Old Town, if you can. As mentioned, Penske museum is good, and its among several high end dealerships, so you can also "window shop" Bentley, and Porsches etc while there.

TK1299

Meh
Established Member
Premium Member
Ironically, a buddy and me will be driving to Tucson Friday. We are going to the Pima Air and Space Museum(unfortunately they don’t give tours of the boneyard anymore). The next day we will be headed to Tombstone to tour it. I’ve been there several years ago and looking forward to going again.

9397SVTs

Established Member
Premium Member
This place has phenomenal food.

As mentioned, the Penske Museum is worth a look. Not so much for itself, but what surrounds it. Dealers such as: Bentley, Rolls Royce, Ferrari, Aston Martin, Lamborghini, Porsche, Jaguar, etc.

For family fun:

You have a lot of options. A day trip to Sedona is worth it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread