"Must Need's" for 600/550 Cobra?

Ande99SVT

Lazy Ass Rifleman
Established Member
Hey guys,
I'm looking at purchasing an 03 at the end of this month that has little to no suspension or drive-train mods and putting about 615/550. I've been doing my research and it looks like the stock input shafts on the 03's fails relatively easy after some decent launches. I've also heard some horror stories of guys ripping their drive shafts up pretty bad from the excessive torque.

I've been making a shopping list on Lethal Performance and this is what I've come up with.

Liberty Gear 26 Spline Input Shaft for T-56

Driveshaft Shop 03-04 Cobra 3-1/2" 900 hp Aluminm Driveshaft

BilletFlow 99-04 Cobra IRS Brace

I'm trying to keep it under 1,500 so the wife doesn't get too mad (Mainly due to the fact I'm buying the car with cash outright, hah). Right now I'm right under 1,200, and hopefully if I can catch a deal or two on Lethal I can get it down a little lower.

Is this a good combination to extend the life of the drivetrain? What are some other smart buys to pick up for the drivetrain/suspension? Halfshafts are out of my price range right now, atleast the ones on Lethal are.

Thanks guys

Last edited:

Scotty B

Established Member
I just installed the Ford Racing diff cover. Got mine from Full Tilt Boogie when I ordered the bushing kit. I would recommend both.

caveeagle

Currently Decompressing
Established Member
Don't forget you will need a new clutch disk to match the new input shaft. Then you gotta decide ho far to go. New pressure plate? Replace/rebuild the flywheel, pilot bearing etc. (a lot depends of the mileage on that clutch) If you don't mind pulling it back out in 10k miles, you could just try to replace the clutch disk with the exact same brand/compound. There is a train of thought that says the flywheel surface will break in to match the clutch disk compound and that you shouldn't mix n match once broken in.

I think going with either the LPW or FMS upgraded diff cover is a better strategy than the support brackets. And not much more cost.

asierra1

Established Member
FTBR bushings and a fms diff cover are a must. Give Bruce at full tilt a call. He's a great guy and will work with you to get the "must haves" first to keep costs down.

10thSVT_03

Doin it!
Established Member
26 spline input, clutch, flywheel, firewall adjuster,quadrant,driveshaft safety loop,and a diff brace or cover. You can buy quite a few halfshafts for the cost of those aftermarket ones. Seen many guys going low 10's on the stock ones locally. Also the bushing kit is a mood point. People swear by them and others run stock stuff in good condition without issue.

Ande99SVT

Lazy Ass Rifleman
Established Member
Great info guys, I really appreciate it.

Well a car came up for sale again that I am dying to get, and it's got the MM Full Length Subframe Connectors, 26 Spline Input Shaft, Spec Flywheel and Clutch. I also have the Full Tilt Boogie Sway Bar End Links sitting at the house that I'm going to throw on the car.

I'm not looking for something I can launch at the track every weekend, mainly something that will survive the daily drive with maybe a few WOT runs every now and then. I had a buddy smash his driveshaft up pretty bad but he was on that car constantly. I looked at picking up a new driveshaft, but will the driveshaft safety loop suffice for what I want?

My buddy was running 480/440, blew his driveshaft, warped his input shaft, and warped a half shaft, but I also ran into a guy who was running 750 on a stock IRS and had no problems with it until he decided it was a great idea to run a 10.2 at the track with a stupid sticky launch.

Again, definitely appreciate your guys input! asierra1, I'll give him a call when I get back to the states, this damn deployment couldn't go by any slower!

caveeagle

Currently Decompressing
Established Member
For me, the driveshaft would be pretty low on the list. Not sure why your buddy trashed his. It could have been defective or damaged.

Ande99SVT

Lazy Ass Rifleman
Established Member
Where you at man? I just got home from Trashcanistan

Got stuck on a MEU float man, they threw us here in Kuwait for a few months while the boat hit libo ports, gotta love it.

Word on the street is General Mattis is NOT happy that we are here though hah, our timeline got cut pretty short, wants us back on the boat now to go sail around the high seas, what joy.

va boy: Definitely man, I've had experience with Toyo Proxies and everyone knows and trusts Nitto, those are my two big options right now in my eyes.

Users who are viewing this thread