Muffler only installs?

tms217

Established Member
I have been looking for a while, and havent really found anyone that has done just a muffler swap. For the most part, I like the sound of the stock lightning, but would like it to be a little louder. What are the options for getting just a little bit more sound out of these trucks without having to do a full cat back? On a side note, why are the catbacks so freaking expensive!!! DAMN!

lvgolfer962

Established Member
Ive always wondered why they cost so much too:shrug:

The 4inch exhaust on my super duty from the turbo to the tip was cheaper than the Magna-Flow cat back I bought for my Lightning:??:

Ive always went with Magna-Flow, they seem to have a little more rumble at idle and sound great when getting into it.

My buddy took his lightning down to a local exhaust shop and had a flowmaster welded into the stock cat-back and I didnt really care for how that one sounds. The stock tips dont look as good as the after market systems either imo

Last edited:

pingaloca

Established Member
i did a flowmaster 40 series took the old one out and cut the same tips off the original one and put it on there 90 bucks on the muffler. looks good so far but it sure was a pain in the ass i need to weld it now i have clamps on it and its leaking i bit

1sweetSVT

too low
Established Member
i always wondered why a muffler and tips are 6-8 hundred bucks...so stupid...cheapest thin would be to buy a set of universal magnaflow mufflers and have them swapped in.

BacNBlak

WOODY
Established Member
I actually did a muffler only install. I wanted a little more sound but really, I love the look of the stock tips. I went with a local, well known exhaust shop. I bought a Magnaflow muffler (dude said it was similar to a 40 series flowmaster). The difficult part was the the stock mufflers outlets are at a different angle than the magna's. A little welding and she was done - on the cheap. IF you go this route, stress that they pay close attention to keeping the tips correctly aligned.

runs2rch

7 minutes!!!!
Established Member
If you are after just a little more rumble install a set of catted mids. The Bassani catted mids sound nice with the stock muffler.

Users who are viewing this thread