Muffler Hangers-Different Lengths

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
I bought a Spintech side exhaust for my 95R so I don't have to worry about the pipes clearing the fuel cell. When I got the mufflers installed they are hanging way too low. I contacted Spintech and they said I have 96-98 hangers which are why the mufflers are too low. I think these hangers are correct for a 94-5 based on the part numbers and also comparing to an OEM exhaust I have for a 95. I thought they were all the same.

Can anyone shed some information on this? Please post pics of the hangers for 94-5 vs. 97-98 if you have anything.

These pics show how low they are. Spintech is saying they should be about 3" shorter. Unfortunately, they want me to ship them back on my dime for shortening of the hangers.

Tom

DSCN0656.JPG
DSCN0657.JPG
DSCN0660.JPG

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
I've wanted one of those kits for my 98 for like 15 years. Never pulled the trigger though.

railroad

Established Member
After taking the rubber hanger off, cut the hanger at the first 90, heat red hot where you want the new 90, bend, then heat the end of the rod and put a 45 on it, done.

If you do not want to use this option or the shipping, a muffler shop will do it in about 10 minutes.

good luck,

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
After taking the rubber hanger off, cut the hanger at the first 90, heat red hot where you want the new 90, bend, then heat the end of the rod and put a 45 on it, done.

If you do not want to use this option or the shipping, a muffler shop will do it in about 10 minutes.

good luck,

Yes, that's what I was planning on doing. I was just wondering if anyone knew the difference between the hangers they were talking about.

Tom

deadernie

is my name
Established Member
It looks like if you shorten the hanger it's going to cause problems with the fit of the pipe after the muffler. Looks like the muffler should maybe be angled up in the back to tuck it up towards the back seat pan which would require a angled flange at the front of the muffler.

shurur

Established Member
They make 4 hole adjustables that you can get on amazon. The adjustments are spec'd out as well.

Those might work for you.

hotcobra03

Established Member
Try the auto parts store for smaller rubber.

I had used these to make shock rubbers on a jeep.

I seen a few different choices in shape and length.

It's just a chuck of rubber.

If you found a larger chunk you can drill holes where you want

Or like the very rear mount on mine is just a rubber in a metal frame bracket where metal pin slides in horizontal

Users who are viewing this thread