Muffler delete - different kind of smell

Dark02Pony

Established Member
I'm constantly wrenching on cars but the other day I installed the heartthrob muffler delete on my 14 GT, exhaust is stock other than that. Everything has been wrenched down with an air gun to ensure nothing budges loose. Fast forward to today, finally able to take my car out on a real cruise to test it out and get a real feel for it. A bit louder than I was expecting but I also noticed a slight smell come over which gave me a sweet taste in my mouth which naturally resulted in a small headache. Everything is as tight as tight can be to the point of it jerking my air gun. Any ideas ? Hoping I'm not dumping CO into cabin as I have a 30min commute each way to work and can't afford to take a day off :shrug::shrug:

Angry50

Established Member
I'm constantly wrenching on cars but the other day I installed the heartthrob muffler delete on my 14 GT, exhaust is stock other than that. Everything has been wrenched down with an air gun to ensure nothing budges loose. Fast forward to today, finally able to take my car out on a real cruise to test it out and get a real feel for it. A bit louder than I was expecting but I also noticed a slight smell come over which gave me a sweet taste in my mouth which naturally resulted in a small headache. Everything is as tight as tight can be to the point of it jerking my air gun. Any ideas ? Hoping I'm not dumping CO into cabin as I have a 30min commute each way to work and can't afford to take a day off :shrug::shrug:

if its just an axle back I don't see it leaking. if you haven't driven much since the install it could be the dust burning off. any new exhaust has dust build up inside that takes some time to burn off then the smell goes away.

Dark02Pony

Established Member
thanks for the reply, the new exhaust smell I of course know of, the thing that gets me more is the feeling that comes along with it. Driving to work today resulted in headache in my forehead and behind my eyes and a feeling in my chest that almost feels like a tight gassy feeling but didn't show up until 10min or so into my commute

Sick_Mustang

Established Member
thanks for the reply, the new exhaust smell I of course know of, the thing that gets me more is the feeling that comes along with it. Driving to work today resulted in headache in my forehead and behind my eyes and a feeling in my chest that almost feels like a tight gassy feeling but didn't show up until 10min or so into my commute

Might just be the exhaust note. I have an ORX and had kooks mufflers, gave me the same symptoms. I returned to stock muffler with ORX, boy what a difference. No headaches and I actually enjoy driving my car, it was mainly the drone.

Another thing that bothered me and almost made it feel like it was hard to breathe was my leather interior when it was new, it was almost unbearable to the point I almost traded in the car. It has since started to faded, much better now.

Dark02Pony

Established Member
It's possible, the leather doesn't bother me but everybody is certainly different. I purchased a 25 dollar CO meter so I wouldn't have to rip 1 off the wall in my home, put the batteries in and held it up to my exhaust to make sure it worked and of course the # shot up to 60+, pulled it away and the number dropped so I rolled my windows up and put the meter in the car for ~10min, stayed at 0. Certainly a sigh of relief!

Users who are viewing this thread