Muffler blow out, is it possible?

97gt-svt

Established Member
I was giving a friend of mine a ride in my car today and I shifted from 1st to 2nd at about 6500rpms, and sometimes my car unloads between shifts (It need to be retuned) and after that my car has had a diffent sound in one muffler. And I dont think it is all in my head but I guess it could be, thats why I want to see if its even possible. It doesnt sound bad just a deeper tone, and it seems to still have good power?:shrug:

coolguy10786

Established Member
Happened with one of my flowmasters, but happened before i had the car. I think it was rust that caused mine too :shrug:

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
Yep, possible.
On chambered mufflers you will most of the time hear a rattle if part broke loose.
Possible a backfire bent the internals for a different sound.

Also saw one blown wide open before. lol

97gt-svt

Established Member
Maybe it did bend a baffle or something, because there is no rattle. It still sound good, but not the same its not as raspy? Maybe its time for a slp loudmouth.:pepper:

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
I wish that would happen to my Flowmasters. It'd give me an excuse to get rid of them and get a Bassani catback without feeling guilty about spending money when I already have a catback...

97gt-svt

Established Member
There is a 99 cobra with a bassani around here that sounds bad a$$, There are alot of different systems to think about or maybe even a custom side exhaust.......

Labora

Is that a Fobra?
Established Member
Tabres said:
I wish that would happen to my Flowmasters. It'd give me an excuse to get rid of them and get a Bassani catback without feeling guilty about spending money when I already have a catback...

x2 More or less just change the names of the catbacks... :p

fullofvenom

Established Member
once saw a muffler on a POS 84/85 el camino blow up. the engine was basically pissing fuel out the exhaust and it collected in the muffler. BOOM. looked like elmer fudds gun after firing it with carrot shoved in the tip.

Users who are viewing this thread