MTX75 Cable Grommets - Help Please

CVBJr

Hi,

I'm new here and am seeking info to repair my son's '99 CSVT. I've searched here and verified the problem, so my question is aimed at finding replacement parts.

In short, the shifter cable ends have parted ways, leaving the car shiftless. The lower cable (white end) at the tranny end has no retaining grommet in it at all. The upper cable (black end) still has the retaining grommet; however, it was popped off of the shift lever pin. It has no retaining clip (if one was there originally).

Here's my question:

I have read of replacement metal retaining grommets on this site; however, there was no further info available. Does anyone know of the correct replacement grommet to repair the cable without buying the complete shifter cable assembly from Ford? It would seem that with this being a common problem, some enterprising-type out there must market a repair kit for these cable ends.

If anyone knows the answer to my quest I would be most appreciative.

Thanks in advance.

Curtis

Last edited:

svtbird99

Established Member
i dont think there is a kit for it but i had my mechanic fix it and he just placed a metal one in it for me im not sure exactly what he did to incorporate it into it but it works and has been working great for some time now .

CVBJr

Thanks for the reply. Guess I'm off to the parts store to buy a bunch of pieces and a day of trial & error. If I find something that works, I'll post the results.

Thanks,

Curtis

BlueStripe

Bad Ass with Class
Established Member
I went through this before. There are no retaining clips, and the parts you are looking for are called "Collets", Ford has part numbers for both collets, and one for the whole shift linkage assembly. The parts department might not be able to tell you which collet is which, but if one is gone and the other slipped off the trans, you might as well replace both. Good luck :)

CVBJr

Thanks for the clarification, BlueStripe. Actually, I've fixed the problem for a whopping $1.55, not counting taxes.

Turns out that a 5/16" x 3/4" long expansion nut fits the white cable end perfrectly. The 5/16" threaded brass insert must be drilled out in order to fit over the pin on the shift lever, but that's it. The expansion nut has a small flange on the back side of it which acts to retain the fitting in the cable end when inserted from the side closest to the tranny. Once assembled, there is virtually no slop in the shifter inside the car, nor does the cable attempt to detach from the shift lever at the tranny. A smaller size will work just the same on the black cable end.

Total time for repair, including going to the hardware store was ~1 hour. I've added photos below for clarity.

Peace,

Curtis

54050161.jpg

54050162.jpg

54050164.jpg
54050163.jpg

jj9320tsi

Well I'm a new CSVT owner and member here and after having the car a month it spun rod bearings #1,5,6 so I had to pull engine and trans and during the endeavor I broke the Collet for the white cable end. I searched all over the net and found this thread which unfortunately did not have the picture illustrations anymore... So I also went to the hardware store and bought a 5/16 x 18 Well Nut(the rubber expansion nut as mentioned above) but had countless attempts fail due to having to and trial and error to rig up some type of a retainer. On the 3rd try I started with a fresh undrilled well nut and the shift tower off the trans. I ultimately decided to remove the weighted arm that has the pin pressed into it and decided to grind down the back side and punch it out of the arm. Then drilled out the hole to 5/16 (a hair over actually) and got a 5/16x18x1-1/2" long grade 8 bolt, threw two washers on the bolt and installed it threaded side outwards toward the cable end. Then put the cable end over the bolt, then threaded the well nut on(threaded end first toward trans) and subsequently thru the white cable end. It held ok, but to alleviate the slop in the attachment of the cable I put another washer on outside of everything and put a lock-nut on the end and tightened it down, but not too much to cause any movement concerns. Now I have absolutely no play in the shifter and it has been rock solid for me for over a week. I'll try to post the pics so anyone else who finds the part number and calls to find that its obsolete and nowhere in the country has them except a bone yard if you're lucky lol. Hope this helps others out in the future. I'm unfortunately unable to add the pics at this time but I will try as soon as I get home from work.

Users who are viewing this thread