MT82 woes... need clutch opinions

jakhammer

Established Member
So my car is grinding into 3rd above 5k rpms. Took it to a recommended dealer. They want nothing to do with the car. So I drove an hour to a branch of the dealership I bought it from. They are going to warranty it even with mods. I asked if they would be willing to throw in a new clutch and flywheel while it was apart and they said yes. So now I need help choosing.

I dont have the cash for a McLeod and flywheel. So McLeaod is out. I dont need to hold huge power. At best this car will make 600rwhp but even that isnt something I plan on for a long time. Right now I want a good clutch that works with the stock flywheel or a combo setup for street use. Its a street car and needs to be civil. I dont need a twitchy on off clutch. Just a decent unit capable of 500rwhp (well more than I am making) with near stock engagement. Since I have never done a performance clutch install or driven anything with a performance clutch I am asking those who know. Whats a decent clutch for me? I would do a McLeod if it works with the stock flywheel.

Chris

stags

Established Member
I can't tell you what you buy but I will say run from SPEC. Ordered one from them when I was young and stupid and the flywheel was so improperly machined they couldn't even get it on the crank.

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
Been running a spec 3+ clutch with 685hp at the crank no issues clutch holds well, in all circumstances. Cost me $439 i have their lightened steel flywheel as well. I have a Tremec magnum xl.
When you get your new clutch installed make sure they replace your slave with a brand new 1 because the fingers on aftermarket pressure plate are firmer then the stock pressure plate and will damage a used slave especially in an mt-82! The Thing with clutches is everyone gonna have an opinion on whats good and whats not. Unfortunately when 1 person has a bad experience they think everyone will experience the same thing, and its simply not true! Do your research and decide what's best for the money you want to spend!

Users who are viewing this thread