MT82 and Paxton car - possible auto swap or build mt82

snkbitten6

Established Member
Hey guys, considering swapping over to an auto.. But I know I'll miss banging gears, even at the track. I love to drag race, but the track is about 2-3hrs away we go around two times a month. The car is taken to dinner a few times through that month, that's about it.

Car is a 663rwhp car, on QTP's with front runners. 327 geared. Stock clutch/stock trans. Barton shifter. What do I need to do to be able to shift this thing harder, without fear of blowing clutch/trans out. Weighing out my options as far as $$$$ goes to do the swap, or build my MT82.

I can do the swap for around 3K I believe. Will purchase aluminum drive shaft with either set up.

My MT82 is currently perfect, but I know I'm on borrowed time with my stock 50K mile clutch.
Needed - MGW shifter, braided line, clutch. Eventually building the transmission. My question is, what do you guys have $$$$ wise into your MT82's to be able to beat on them and not worry about it. And what do you suggest as far as a good set up with the mt82.

Thanks,

Dan

sur_real1

I Am The Organizer
Established Member
Well, as you know, I had similar thoughts, but I'm not blown. But, I really enjoy blowing through gears. I've put in and hardened the MT82 in my GT and so far, the biggest trade off in drivability (other than using your left foot more) is noise. OMG, even with the boot and the insulation, you hear every shift, every clunk, every whine.

I've got the stainless line, exedy clutch kit, blowfish racing transmission bracket mount, and the steeda poly bushing for the transmission. I also went with the aluminum driveshaft, so you hear that too in every shift.

The one thing I enjoyed about the auto, was drivability was completely tunable. Soften the shifts for day to day, and then you could swap in a tune and completely change up the shift scenario. Also, something I never experienced with the auto was wheel hop. Funny enough, with the manual, I get wheel hop now. But I've got a watts link and upper/lower control arms set to go into the car when it's all said and done.

In the end, as you already know, the auto will sustain more power and a greater beating over time. :)

DaBigBone

Established Member
Ben Calimer builds MT82s. His stage one is around $800 I believe. Look him up on facebook, very good guy.

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
ur talking like a 3% difference in HP. BUT..... with a good converter like a Circle D you will pick up tons of TORQUE therefore ur car will be faster period!

Remember, TORQUE gets you moving (Thats what u feel in acceleration) and HP keeps you moving. thats why Turbo cars almost always feel faster then a blower car cause they make far more TQ.

I have experienced both in a Mustang and the Auto is superior in every way! you will go faster make no mistake about it! and u will never miss a gear.

the Auto shifts at lighting speeds every time it shifts gears. it is far superior on the race track and the street.

and not to mention when ur sitting in 20 miles of traffic u don't have to deal with the BS of shifting from 1st to 2nd which gets really freakn old after a while. The stick novelty wore off really fast especially since I was going slower with it!

How much of a power loss is there when switching to auto? Seems like a ton of work to swap.

Famine

Established Member
ur talking like a 3% difference in HP. BUT..... with a good converter like a Circle D you will pick up tons of TORQUE therefore ur car will be faster period!

Remember, TORQUE gets you moving (Thats what u feel in acceleration) and HP keeps you moving. thats why Turbo cars almost always feel faster then a blower car cause they make far more TQ.

I have experienced both in a Mustang and the Auto is superior in every way! you will go faster make no mistake about it! and u will never miss a gear.

the Auto shifts at lighting speeds every time it shifts gears. it is far superior on the race track and the street.

and not to mention when ur sitting in 20 miles of traffic u don't have to deal with the BS of shifting from 1st to 2nd which gets really freakn old after a while. The stick novelty wore off really fast especially since I was going slower with it!
What gears and converter would be ideal with a 700 whp pd blower setup?

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
well if upgraded a manual trans to a T56 Magnum and went with a 2.97 gear then I wud opt for a 4.10 rear. otherwise a 3.31 gear is wat I wud recommend. its more fun on street imo

if its an auto id opt for a Circle D 3C and 3.73 gears

Users who are viewing this thread