MT-82 Upgrade??

BOOSTD5.4

Established Member
I have my 12 Boss, with a destroyed 5th gear, can the TR-6060 Transmission and Installation Kit (05&Up) from D&D work with this car??

Anyone done this yet? It will need a new driveshaft and clutch, PP and flywheel....

Thanks

Mike

TXPD

Rookie Racer
Established Member
the 6060 will work. there is also the M-7003-BOSSR1
that is the transmission in the boss 302r race car. it is pricey
but built for the track. i does have a 0.68 ration 6th gear
for highway driving

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
Could you elaborate on the destroyed 5th gear? i.e., how many miles, what were the symptoms leading up to it, etc.

AZBOSS

Established Member
I'd get the R1 trans that was mentioned above, if you can afford it.

Otherwise the 6060 from the GT500 should bolt right in (with a GT500 driveshaft).

Cobra R Man

IMSA RACE CAR
Established Member
I have my 12 Boss, with a destroyed 5th gear, can the TR-6060 Transmission and Installation Kit (05&Up) from D&D work with this car??

Anyone done this yet? It will need a new driveshaft and clutch, PP and flywheel....

Thanks

Mike

Why do you need the flywheel? :shrug:

speedfreak94

Established Member
BOOSTD5.4- Yes you can use a Shelby 6060 from D&D. You will need to get a 26-spline clutch (MT82 uses 23-spline), the appropriate driveshaft (I'm guessing also available from D&D), and a speedo calibration box of some sort since the 6060 and MT82 use a different signal for the speedometer (available from many sources, including D&D, I think). Also you might need a Shelby t/o bearing since it is "shorter" than the bearing used on the MT82. Ask D&D for sure.

FYI, the TR-6060 is definately stouter, but still suffers from a couple of ailments, such as the remote shifter and two-piece driveshaft... Tremec is SUPPOSED to be coming out with a special Magnum trans specifically for '05 and up cars, but I don't know when. They said "soon" (this time last year).

BOOSTD5.4

Established Member
That is what I heard on the Magnum as well.....

I damaged 5th at 105 miles. Not sure if the skip shift had anything to do with it. It grinds and slams into gear......

Mike

BOOSTD5.4- Yes you can use a Shelby 6060 from D&D. You will need to get a 26-spline clutch (MT82 uses 23-spline), the appropriate driveshaft (I'm guessing also available from D&D), and a speedo calibration box of some sort since the 6060 and MT82 use a different signal for the speedometer (available from many sources, including D&D, I think). Also you might need a Shelby t/o bearing since it is "shorter" than the bearing used on the MT82. Ask D&D for sure.

FYI, the TR-6060 is definately stouter, but still suffers from a couple of ailments, such as the remote shifter and two-piece driveshaft... Tremec is SUPPOSED to be coming out with a special Magnum trans specifically for '05 and up cars, but I don't know when. They said "soon" (this time last year).

Hey_Its_Cole

Established Member
That is what I heard on the Magnum as well.....

I damaged 5th at 105 miles. Not sure if the skip shift had anything to do with it. It grinds and slams into gear......

Mike

Why not warranty it? I know the 5th gear thing has happened to few other MT-82s but it doesn't seem to be all that common.

BOOSTD5.4

Established Member
Why not warranty it? I know the 5th gear thing has happened to few other MT-82s but it doesn't seem to be all that common.

My dealer has stated that it is a 10-12 week ordeal, meaning when the car comes out of storage, it will be gone for the whole summer..... Complete BS, but this is what I am dealing with.

Mike

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
T56 Magnum swap kit essentially an upgraded TR6060 the

Bump! I stumbled across this today:

2011 Mustang Transmission Swap - Toughen Your Transmission - Muscle Mustangs & Fast Fords Magazine

Once available, the S197-spec T56 will be offered in a package to make purchasing and installing it in a 2011-newer Mustang an easy task. The kit includes a Tremec T56 Magnum S197 transmission, McLeod clutch (RST or RXT) and aluminum flywheel, choice of short-throw shifter (Tremec Adjustable Bias, Steeda Tri-Ax, or Pro 5.0), aluminum driveshaft, crossmember, and sensor hook-ups.
The S197-spec T56 Magnum offers several unique features; the first highlight that Burcham noted was the shifter arrangement. "The Magnum has a direct-shift setup rather than the semi-remote-mounted style that comes from the factory. The factory shifter is attached to both the body and the transmission, which causes issues when the power goes up.
"When you increase horsepower and torque, the unibody reacts more-now the shifter base is moving one way, while the transmission is moving another way, and that causes inconsistent shifting." The Magnum's direct-shift-style setup is far better for performance driving, both road race and drag race.
Direct-shift isn't the only benefit when converting to the new gearbox-the Magnum comes standard with a slip-yoke interface that lends itself nicely to use with a one-piece driveshaft. One major difference the driver will notice, aside from the shifting, is the gear ratios between the Getrag and T56 Magnum. The Magnum offers four forward gears, plus two Overdrive gears, while the Getrag has five regular gears and a single Overdrive gear.
T56 Magnum versus TR6060
"The T56 Magnum is essentially an aftermarket version of the TR-6060, which was first introduced in the Shelby GT500," said Nate Tovey of Tremec. The upgraded transmission had enough aftermarket-specific changes that the company felt it needed a new name, so it adopted the T56 Magnum moniker-a nod to its original T56 six-speed roots. Some of the major differences between the Magnum and TR-6060 include bearing upgrades, friction materials (carbon content) on the synchronizer blocker rings, dual speedometer pick-ups (electronic only for the S197-spec), dual cross-member mount threads, longer input shaft splines for multi-disc clutches, and hydraulic and mechanical release support systems.
A switch to this transmission does require a 26-spline clutch disc, two-bolt crossmember, and a one-piece driveshaft. This article outlines the '11 spec kit from JPC Racing but the company will also offer all the parts and pieces required for a '05-'10 conversion to the T56 Magnum.

Read more: http://www.musclemustangfastfords.c..._transmission_swap/viewall.html#ixzz1oHkCBZul

Read more: http://www.musclemustangfastfords.c..._transmission_swap/viewall.html#ixzz1oHk0Ld9T

Read more: http://www.musclemustangfastfords.c..._transmission_swap/viewall.html#ixzz1oHjia1ZI

Read more: 2011 Mustang Transmission Swap - Toughen Your Transmission - Muscle Mustangs & Fast Fords Magazine

kona12

Established Member
Bump! I stumbled across this today:

2011 Mustang Transmission Swap - Toughen Your Transmission - Muscle Mustangs & Fast Fords Magazine

Once available, the S197-spec T56 will be offered in a package to make purchasing and installing it in a 2011-newer Mustang an easy task. The kit includes a Tremec T56 Magnum S197 transmission, McLeod clutch (RST or RXT) and aluminum flywheel, choice of short-throw shifter (Tremec Adjustable Bias, Steeda Tri-Ax, or Pro 5.0), aluminum driveshaft, crossmember, and sensor hook-ups.
The S197-spec T56 Magnum offers several unique features; the first highlight that Burcham noted was the shifter arrangement. "The Magnum has a direct-shift setup rather than the semi-remote-mounted style that comes from the factory. The factory shifter is attached to both the body and the transmission, which causes issues when the power goes up.
"When you increase horsepower and torque, the unibody reacts more-now the shifter base is moving one way, while the transmission is moving another way, and that causes inconsistent shifting." The Magnum's direct-shift-style setup is far better for performance driving, both road race and drag race.
Direct-shift isn't the only benefit when converting to the new gearbox-the Magnum comes standard with a slip-yoke interface that lends itself nicely to use with a one-piece driveshaft. One major difference the driver will notice, aside from the shifting, is the gear ratios between the Getrag and T56 Magnum. The Magnum offers four forward gears, plus two Overdrive gears, while the Getrag has five regular gears and a single Overdrive gear.
T56 Magnum versus TR6060
"The T56 Magnum is essentially an aftermarket version of the TR-6060, which was first introduced in the Shelby GT500," said Nate Tovey of Tremec. The upgraded transmission had enough aftermarket-specific changes that the company felt it needed a new name, so it adopted the T56 Magnum moniker-a nod to its original T56 six-speed roots. Some of the major differences between the Magnum and TR-6060 include bearing upgrades, friction materials (carbon content) on the synchronizer blocker rings, dual speedometer pick-ups (electronic only for the S197-spec), dual cross-member mount threads, longer input shaft splines for multi-disc clutches, and hydraulic and mechanical release support systems.
A switch to this transmission does require a 26-spline clutch disc, two-bolt crossmember, and a one-piece driveshaft. This article outlines the '11 spec kit from JPC Racing but the company will also offer all the parts and pieces required for a '05-'10 conversion to the T56 Magnum.

Read more: 2011 Mustang Transmission Swap - Toughen Your Transmission - Muscle Mustangs & Fast Fords Magazine

great info I wonder how much this would set someone back..

Users who are viewing this thread