MT-82 Transmission oil change....????

SuperFastGT

2012 Mustang GT

Was stock oil until I had it changed today to Amsoil MTF. I heard that this stuff is superb, however most threads I've digested online say its OK without a friction modifier. I had my mechanic put in 2.7 qts in front of me after changing the oil over to Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W-20.

Transmission was really awesome originally until it had got cold here a few weeks ago in PA. Then it had a little bite going 1-2 and 2-3 until warmed up with stock (I suppose) fluid from the original owner I purchased it from. Presently it has 27.5k miles so I was just doing super early preventative maintenance on it. (I'm the fellow you want to buy a used vehicle from!) ;)

So, I'm leaving and we are still in the mid 20's today getting to low 30's.....don't know if it was the oil or the weather as I've not had the car that long to really tell, but it seems a bit more notchy going into gears on a 15 min drive after that, maybe I am hyper analyzing it but in regards to the friction modifier, is it a must?

I am considering driving it a few more days to see how it works, and maybe going to just put Ford's most current recommendation in whatever that may be after a couple changes since it they came out with the MT-82. Just got back into cars after years and years away.

Originally I was going to do Royal Purple, but then did more searching and most seem very happy in PA with the Amsoil MTF......me.....whatever was in there was almost perfect....like I said I cant say for sure, as it is far from stock....but with the low miles, I'd assume stock fluid. What have I done?! (laugh)

Any comments or suggestions are appreciated. Thanks folks!

popeye010

Established Member
I live in North East Pa and I switched back to the current Dual Clutch Fluid sold at the dealership, not sure of the exact name of it. I had the Redline Fluid and the Amsoil. What Ford is currently offering is the best feel I have had with the MT 82 for cold weather driving. Minimal nibble on the 1-2 when in the 20s and it warmed up quickly to be very smooth. If you are going to cold weather drive you might want to swap fluid again.

noldevin

Established Member
MTF is a bit thick to be using in colder weather. I ran a mix of 2qts syncromesh and 0.7qts of MTF. It works a lot better in cold and is still a little thicker than pure syncromesh. This mix is recommended by Calimer transmissions as well.
You could even run pure syncromesh in the winter and MTF in the summer, if you're so inclined to swap it out seasonally.

SuperFastGT

So with the Ford Dual-Clutch fluid, is there position just straight fluid for these transmissions or are they flip flopping once more back to the addition of the friction modifier they make also?

Also, the Amsoil MTF....on the bottle it says Synchromesh, so when it is referenced above to use 2 QT's MTF and .7 of Synchromesh, what brand and so forth is this "Synchromesh" ? Thanks for clearing that up! :)

Yeah, I'd been prepared to have to switch again after reading all this hubub about the MT-82's and fluid issues. If I didn't care so much about the longevity and uber high level of maintenance I do to all my vehicles, I'd have just left it well enough along for another couple years before switching.....but then it would have been nasty and really used and old!

Thanks guys.

JDos1

Established Member
So with the Ford Dual-Clutch fluid, is there position just straight fluid for these transmissions or are they flip flopping once more back to the addition of the friction modifier they make also?

Also, the Amsoil MTF....on the bottle it says Synchromesh, so when it is referenced above to use 2 QT's MTF and .7 of Synchromesh, what brand and so forth is this "Synchromesh" ? Thanks for clearing that up! :)

Yeah, I'd been prepared to have to switch again after reading all this hubub about the MT-82's and fluid issues. If I didn't care so much about the longevity and uber high level of maintenance I do to all my vehicles, I'd have just left it well enough along for another couple years before switching.....but then it would have been nasty and really used and old!

Thanks guys.

See answer below, previous poster was confused.

MTF is a bit thick to be using in colder weather. I ran a mix of 2qts syncromesh and 0.7qts of MTF. It works a lot better in cold and is still a little thicker than pure syncromesh. This mix is recommended by Calimer transmissions as well.
You could even run pure syncromesh in the winter and MTF in the summer, if you're so inclined to swap it out seasonally.

You're confused on your fluid labelings. MTF IS Synchromesh. The combination you want to run is 2 qts MTF/Synchromesh and .75 qts of MTG.

MTG is too thick for very cold climates, MTF is not. Straight MTF in my opinion is too thin, you want that .7 qts of MTG to thicken it up slightly. However, in hot climates straight MTG is ok, just be easy on the trans til it gets up to operating temp and the fluid thins out slightly, usually 10 miles of driving. OP, I think if you drained off about .75 qts of the MTF and replenished it with MTG then you'd be very satisfied.

noldevin

Established Member
See answer below, previous poster was confused.

You're confused on your fluid labelings. MTF IS Synchromesh. The combination you want to run is 2 qts MTF/Synchromesh and .75 qts of MTG.

MTG is too thick for very cold climates, MTF is not. Straight MTF in my opinion is too thin, you want that .7 qts of MTG to thicken it up slightly. However, in hot climates straight MTG is ok, just be easy on the trans til it gets up to operating temp and the fluid thins out slightly, usually 10 miles of driving. OP, I think if you drained off about .75 qts of the MTF and replenished it with MTG then you'd be very satisfied.
You are correct, my mistake. Sorry for the confusion

SuperFastGT

Thanks so much for the prompt reply! I'll get a container of that and have my mechanic drain and refil that specified amount and see how she rolls, pun intended. If for some reason that still does not satisfy for the feel and performance I am expecting and would like......off to Ford!

87hatchy

Established Member
I replaced mine completely in my 2013 GT with MTF only. No issues driven in 20 degree temps all the way up to mid 80 degree temps. Had the MTF in for about 1.5 years. You'll notice shifting is much smoother than factory fluid. I personally dont feel that you need to mix it with MTG, but I'm sure it doesnt hurt.

Users who are viewing this thread