MSD plug wires??

96snake719

Established Member
Has anybody had any issues with MSD wires? Im trying to diagnose my problem here and the wires are next on my list, I have heard nothing but good things about the FRPP 9mm ford ones, but havent heard much about the MSD 8.5mm which is what I have. Another question I have is I heard about a certain few wires that are not supossed to touch because of cross firing or somthing could any of you tell me what ones these are? thanks

04DeadShort

SVT Addict
Established Member
Im running MSD wires, they was on the car when I bought it. They seem to work fine, I have no trouble with them. I have a wire change coming up though and I will be going back to FRPP wires. That is just my personal preference, I run them for years on the old 5.0's. I believe it is wires #5 and #7 you have to watch. Not Sure

96snake719

Established Member
Im trying to track down my missfire and spark blow out problem... With the plugs gapped at .020 i can pull right to 7 grand no problem no hicups, set em at .025 and I can only get to 6 grand, set em at .030 only 5 grand and so on and so forth.
I have tried everything now aside from a different brand of plug wire and different brand of plugs (thinking about going 2 heat ranges colder). I have even swapped out my computer for a known good one hoping that would solve my issue with no luck. Im out of ideas and almost outta money.

DVJ38

One mod at a time
Established Member
The plug wires can touch without a problem if they are good. If the insulation is worn out and spark is getting out of the wire then they need to be replaced, and in that situation I guess wires touching could be a problem.

It sounds like the better question to ask would be how much power can the stock ignition system support. I do not know that answer though.

Low Class Yuppie

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
I bought the 9MM Ford Racing wires and the car runs even better than it was before. I'm going COP in a couple months, shoot me a PM in December if you're still looking.

96snake719

Established Member
I ordered a set of the frpps a couple days ago just to give them a try, I guess Im just trying to figure out why Im having spark blow out issues at 14-15 psi. I feel as though I shouldnt have to run a .020 plug gap in order for the car to pull clean so theres gotta by an underlying issue somewhere. Im tempted to just say screw it leave em at .020 and just have the car tuned. Will a 2 step colder plug be of any help do you think? or am I just dreaming even more.

98$vt

i love white girls
Established Member
I have msd wires and they're good IMO But my cars and 98 and when I changed them 4 months ago they were oem wires I replaced dated to 98 lol I don't think it gets much worse than that!

96snake719

Established Member
maybe plug wires arent my problem then, I just have no idea like I said at this point Im just throwing parts at it, I honestly wanna sell the damn thing but I would never be able to get what I need for it not running right like it does.

96snake719

Established Member
I actually have 2 sets I have tried, brand new napa set and my original 80k mile set, both sets seemed to be the exact same...

96snake719

Established Member
I believe so... Im pretty sure there all there. i wonder now if my IMRC deletes are causing my symptons, because it kinda acts like fuel/spark issues instead of just spark. I just got done messing around with it some more.

Users who are viewing this thread