MSD Ignition box

UltimateT-Bird

Established Member
Watsup guys? I got a MSD Ignition system installed in my 97 T-bird recently; Anyone have an idea as to why the ignition box causes my motor to start misfiring at around 1800-1900 rpm?

UltimateT-Bird

Established Member
I guess I don't know how a MSD Ignition Box works; I just turned the first dial to WS on, +4k an now the rpm won't go higher than 4k. Anyone know exactly how this thing works? I apologize for any inconvenience, I'm kinda new when it comes to working on cars.

racecougar

MN12 parts guy
Established Member
What are the two-step and max rev limiter dials set to?

Honestly, unless you're running 20+ lbs of boost, all of that was a waste. The stock ignition is far more reliable, and it'll handle a fair amount of boost before you experience any blowout.

UltimateT-Bird

Established Member
What are the two-step and max rev limiter dials set to?

Honestly, unless you're running 20+ lbs of boost, all of that was a waste. The stock ignition is far more reliable, and it'll handle a fair amount of boost before you experience any blowout.

Right now the 2 step is set to 2k rpm an the max rev is set to 5100 rpm but it won't go past 4k rpm, and that's with the first dial set to WS on +4k

racecougar

MN12 parts guy
Established Member
Is the first dial set to 3 or 7 then? Have you tried to go past 4K rpm while in gear (not in neutral or park)? Any difference if you increase the 2-step and max rev limits? Are you able to datalog to see what's going on?

UltimateT-Bird

Established Member
Is the first dial set to 3 or 7 then? Have you tried to go past 4K rpm while in gear (not in neutral or park)? Any difference if you increase the 2-step and max rev limits? Are you able to datalog to see what's going on?

The first dial is set to 3, I've tryed in gear an it still won't go past 4k rpm, movin the 2-step and max rev limits didn't make any difference, how do u datalog?

racecougar

MN12 parts guy
Established Member
I suggest calling MSD's tech line. There may be a problem with the ignition box. Personally, I'd sell all that stuff, as it isn't going to offer any real benefit over the stock ignition.

You can datalog with a handheld tuner and a laptop.

Users who are viewing this thread