MSD DIS4

SSRDOHC

Established Member
Anyone here with a 4.6 that's running a DIS 4 ?? After 4 hrs of a detailed wiring job the darn thing wont run. Yeah I tripple checked all wiring and connections. With the key turned to the run position, instead of the 3 second fuel pump run it's about 1/2 sec. and it just spins over. If I put in the by-pass harness it will run and I've been drining like that, so WTF ??

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
How many tach adapters do you have installed? MSD first told me I needed one. Later they tell me that it only needs one on the 96-97 cars if it doesn't run right or cuts off after running a while/throws CEL (which mine did) Finally I got the final answer that the DIS-4 requires 2 tach adapters (one per coil pack) in the 96-97's if they didn't work right without them. All 98's required the 2 coil packs.
Personaly I would not trust MSD with my lawn mower anymore. This "ignition box" was supposed to be designed for our cars, and they can't get the wiring right? :nono: That is just bad! Mine worked really nice when it was working, then it fried 2, count them TWO, computers. The wiring was right according to MSD's schematic, but the system didn't carry enough ground. After I talked with a few friends that own GM's I learned their OPTISpark module had similar problems with similar fixes. After I ran additional grounds to each coil pack and ignition box the car did fine. When it worked throttle response was improved, but for the money I'd go with the coil packs.

Am I bitter with MSD? :shrug: ;-)

Users who are viewing this thread