mrt + what cb?

mrfomoco

Established Member
Just got my '03 cobra and I've been trying to figure out exactly which setup to go with...maybe yall can help me a bit.

Before I get flamed for not using the search function, I've been searching a lot on here :rolling:

I picked up an MRT catted H pipe and was pretty dead set on a bassani CB, but from the reviews i've read people seem to think to not use bassani with an MRT H.

Is the mac stainless cat-back a good route to go?

Thanks in advance

astippich

Established Member
I had mrt catted/stinger combo and I'd recommend any chambered muffler for best results. With stingers it sounded "glass packy" from about 2500-3000rpm's. Above 3000 it sounded wicked good. The guy I sold it to had a bassani c/b and after putting the mrt on he bought flows. I think he bought the 44's.

svtmassa

Established Member
i am switching to the mac stainless catback, i also have the mrt mid pipe. you want a chambered muffler like mac or flowmaster to go with a h pipe. straight thru like stingers will sounds like glasspacks

REDFIRE03SVT

Established Member
I had magnaflow cb with the mrt an to switched to flowmasters.. Definitely go with mac or flowmasters with the mrt cause any straight through muffler will sound a little glasspack-ish.

revving vid with the MRT Catted H and super 40's
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEshI0rLCXU"]YouTube - P1010066.MOV[/ame]

Last edited:

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
The Stingers don't sound like glasspacks so long as you don't jump in the throttle hard/high load under 3k.

If you like that "sound" and tone but not the blatt...run the Borla 14858 or Steeda systems instead.

I ran the MRT/Stingers for a few thousand miles and loved the overall sound.

I'd say go between the new 'larger' Flowmasters Super 40/44 or so; or the 14858.

To me the MRT really doesn't sound right with any other catback.

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
Here's a few vids of the MRT Catted and Stingers.

Basically part throttle short-shifted at 3k. Stock manifolds/no headers.

First vid you can hear the "glasspack" bratt; for me I mostly avoided this. I made the vid to get a clear sound of what this setup does sometimes that people don't like.

Last/third vid is a blip and 2k drive off in first/second with a slow climb in 3rd towards 3k. You kinda have to wait towards the end of the clip to hear it up there.

I've now swapped to a Magnaflow catted X and Bassani cb with the baffles removed. Totally different sound, more sexy, less musclecar-ish but still a great sound and much smoother and maybe 85% of the total volume, but much quieter at cruise.

th_100_3214.jpg

th_100_3215.jpg

th_100_3216.jpg

Last edited:

Fireguy615

Mom! The Meatloaf!
Established Member
Gotta go chambered mufflers with an MRT if you want it to sound right thru the entire rev range. I went with Super 44s with my MRT and it is quiet and burbly at idle, has a little bit of decel-burble, and screams from miles away at WOT with no blat. I get compliment after compliment on how wicked my car sounds.

Straight-thru mufflers with little packing inside combined with an MRT catted H sounds miserable. I can't speak for the Borla products. But what experience has taught me is the staright-thru types tend to sound better using an X-pipe, like a Maggie.

mrfomoco

Established Member
hmm....nobody has chimed in on the Bassani cb with the mrt catted h.

The bassani mufflers and borla stingers are different, correct?

Fireguy615

Mom! The Meatloaf!
Established Member
Oh, I can chime in on putting an MRT with the Bassani. Thats why my sig says "Bassani catback with Super 44's", lol. I, like probably many others, thought the Bassani would sound awesome with the MRT, but it failed miserably. Oh, its plenty loud, but my car sounded like a 1975 Harley Lowrider.:nonono: People were rolling up their windows when I drove by it was Blatting so bad.

Experimenting with exhaust to find the right sound is expensive. I took the advise of others who have experience and went chambered; the Flows super 44s. I just dropped the mufflers out of the Bassani catback and did a swap and presto! As a bonus I got to keep the sweet Bassani tips and very nice 2.5" piping.

No exhaust will ever be perfect. Does it drone a bit? Yeah, a little around 2500 on the freeway. But you want an exhaust that sounds sweet throughout the entire rev range. MRT+chambered=:rockon:. MRT+straight-thru like Bassani=:bash:. Its just a guideline though, some dudes like that loud glasspack sound. But to me, it just doesn't sound or look right coming from our cars.

evans03c

1% evil, 99% hot air
Established Member
Oh, I can chime in on putting an MRT with the Bassani. Thats why my sig says "Bassani catback with Super 44's", lol. I, like probably many others, thought the Bassani would sound awesome with the MRT, but it failed miserably. Oh, its plenty loud, but my car sounded like a 1975 Harley Lowrider.:nonono: People were rolling up their windows when I drove by it was Blatting so bad.

Experimenting with exhaust to find the right sound is expensive. I took the advise of others who have experience and went chambered; the Flows super 44s. I just dropped the mufflers out of the Bassani catback and did a swap and presto! As a bonus I got to keep the sweet Bassani tips and very nice 2.5" piping.

No exhaust will ever be perfect. Does it drone a bit? Yeah, a little around 2500 on the freeway. But you want an exhaust that sounds sweet throughout the entire rev range. MRT+chambered=:rockon:. MRT+straight-thru like Bassani=:bash:. Its just a guideline though, some dudes like that loud glasspack sound. But to me, it just doesn't sound or look right coming from our cars.
Did those Super 44's bolt right up to your Bassani pipes? You've got me intrigued now. I may give it a try. I've been happy with the Bassani/MRT combo. but I keep the baffles installed in the tips and it keeps the blatting to a minimum. I'm kind of ready for a change though.

mrfomoco

Established Member
Did those Super 44's bolt right up to your Bassani pipes? You've got me intrigued now. I may give it a try. I've been happy with the Bassani/MRT combo. but I keep the baffles installed in the tips and it keeps the blatting to a minimum. I'm kind of ready for a change though.

Same question as him...does it bolt right up?

Fireguy615

Mom! The Meatloaf!
Established Member
They do in fact fit right into that catback, but you need to make sure of a few things first....

The part number for the Flows Super 44's that work with the Bassani is the 942545. This is because the Bassani catback is 2.5", center-in, center-out. This part # will not be for everyone as some setups are offset in/out, or different diameters. Summit sells them for $80 per muffler. The dimensions are 4x9x13, approx. They actually fit a little more snug up into the belly of the car than the Bassani mufflers due to their dimensions.

You will have to adjust the flowtubes on the Bassani back and forth to make it fit right. Re-use the Bassani clamps as they are of pretty good quality or just weld them in. Don't forget to check your tips as they can get moved quite a bit on their hangers during this process.

Side note:
The only part thats bad on the Bassani catback setup are the puny clamps they give you for your tips-to-catback. The rest of the clamps are of pretty good quality. Do yourself a favor and at least weld the tips to the catback that way they wont rattle and no one can steal them. Or just weld the whole setup.

I will try and get a sound clip this weekend to post for your guys interested in this setup. It gives you the deepest muscle-car sound using the 2.5" tubing with an H configuration, the high-flow cats and the bellowing Super 44's, with NO BLAT. I really like it, but that's just me, I'm almost 40 and I like the muscle car sound. Some guys just like loud and don't care what it sounds like. But everyone's different.

Fireguy615

Mom! The Meatloaf!
Established Member

If you are going to pop in some chambered mufflers into the Bassani, go ahead and pull the baffles you will like the sound better, because you wont have to worry about the BLAT anymore. Good luck, those things are a bear to get out of the pipes:rolling:

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
hmm....nobody has chimed in on the Bassani cb with the mrt catted h.

The bassani mufflers and borla stingers are different, correct?

Don't run the Bassani/MRT. You'll hate yourself.

Yes, the Stingers and Bassani mufflers are different in size/shape/sound.

Bassani mufflers should only be used with an X. End of story for me.

For the MRT H, the Borla 14858/Steeda system is nice; otherwise I'd have to agree and go with the Super40/44's.

IF you're bent on keeping the Stingers, then get a Bassani X or Mac PC.

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
If you are going to pop in some chambered mufflers into the Bassani, go ahead and pull the baffles you will like the sound better, because you wont have to worry about the BLAT anymore. Good luck, those things are a bear to get out of the pipes:rolling:

If you do that, I'd say run the louder Super 40's because the baffles quieten things down quite a bit. Also keep in mind you can run them without the fiberglass wrap for an "intermediate" level of quietness.

Its VERY easy to fix it where the baffles can be taken in/out easier.

Grab an air grinder and a sanding drum (or even a belt sander)...just some kind of expedient sanding apparatus with a fine/medium abrasive on it. Take the end bells of the baffle and ROLL them on the outer diameter (basically just turning them smaller) until they slide nicely into the tips.

Should take no more than 30mins total to do the pair.

Make sure you use Loctite on the bolt OR go to a slightly longer bolt and put a nut on the inside. That way you don't have to kill the bolt and worry about losing it or the tip.

mrfomoco

Established Member
Awesome info guys...The bassani CB is already on its way, so if its as awful as yall say it is I will have to order those super 44's, that'd be less of a headache than selling the bassani and going with another cb i think.

Fireguy615

Mom! The Meatloaf!
Established Member
Which Bassani CB did you order? The SS expensive setup comes with baffles. The BX doesnt. Either way, run the setup without the baffles to start. And like mblgjr said, you can start hating yourself immediately. Then when you switch to a cambered muffler the baffles will be out and you can enjoy all that excellent sound coming out of your pipes.

Mblgjr is 100% right when he says Bassani CB only goes with an X-pipe. I learned the hard way. If you like the Bassani sound, you can always keep the CB and ditch the MRT for an X like Bassani or Maggie. Thats another option, switching the mid-pipe. But its hard to properly gauge what the Bassani SHOULD sound like because paired with the MRT just doesn't give you an accurate representation of how nice a Bassani CAN sound when paired to an X.

mrfomoco

Established Member
I had a bassani catted X with dynomax bullet mufflers on my mach 1 and I liked the way it sounded a lot, but I'm trying to go with a different sound on the cobra.

Yes its the SS bassani CB. So If I hate myself as bad as you say I will :bash: I'll give those super 44's a try. It sounds like a really good idea.

Fireguy615

Mom! The Meatloaf!
Established Member
OK, make sure you leave the baffles OUT to test the sound first. The baffles will muffle the overall sound, and the BLAT that will happen when you put your foot into it. But to me, baffles are kinda like putting a dress on a pig. Its still a pig. I'm sure they work on some systems, but on a Bassani/MRT combo, your basically just trying to cover up the sound, not actually "fixing" the problem.

And some guys that like this setup say "well, its OK under 4000", and "if you take it easy, it's fine". Huh?? Didn't we buy these cars so we can put our foot into them and have some fun? To 6000 maybe? Whenever we want? Becasue they're fast? You want an exhaust setup that you can enjoy ANYTIME, ANYWHERE, at any place in the rev range. Show me a Terminator owner that keeps his car under 4k revs and I'll show you a guy that should be driving a Kia;-)

GL with whatever you decide, either way make it your own sound and enjoy it!

Users who are viewing this thread