MRT Hood Strut Kit

cobra4v04

Established Member
Got the kit the other day and have some concerns about fitment. I haven't called MRT yet as I want to see what others have experienced with the install.

The fender brackets appear to be just a little too big overall, and the lip that they bolt down to has a different contour than the bracket. The Ford bolt that is used to attach the bracket appears to be just barely long enough to even start threading into the blind nut. I tried to get it started but realized that I would have to put considerable downward force on the bolt and bracket to get it to squash down the lip that is in the fender lip contour.

Anybody else have this problem with their kit? It seems the brackets should have been made to clear the contour in the fender lip.

SVT04

Established Member
Not sure about the MRT kit, I bought mine from Classic Design Concepts and it was fine. I know you better remove the paint from the hood bolts before you try to put the brackets on though or if you don't you might break one like I did.

ETW

Established Member
My fender brackets fit fine, but the stock screws werent long enough to go through to the car so I had to go out and get similar screws that were a bit longer. Once I got those in, everything went fine and the struts look and work great. I highly recommend these

BadMoFo

Get Some!
Established Member
the c clip sometimes gets bent when you try to put the bolt back in. happened to me. had to undo the whole fender and get the clip out and squish it back togther. after that went in just fine.

cobra04972tx1

HP, U CAN'T HAVE 2 MUCH
Established Member
I like my SS redline tuning, same price and no HUGE bracket to mount. Did have to drill some holes, but that was easy. At least I didn't have to take off my fender, that would suck.

BadMoFo

Get Some!
Established Member
didnt remove the whole fender just loosened it enough to pull out the c clip that was bent. I have seen the redline ones, I dont like the fact that you have to drill holes or rivit the things in. if I ever sold this car I could take mine off and keep them. steeda has the same design. for the most part its just a few botls out a few botls in and your done.

cobra4v04

Established Member
These pictures are of the drivers side fender, you can see that the bracket sits up on the lip.
Are others like this? I had to buy some longer bolts (the black ones in the bottom right picture) but have not installed the brackets yet, I want to see if others had this same issue with the brackets not sitting flat on the fender lip.

MRTFenderBracket.JPG

mofugr

BIG DADDY
Established Member
I used the MRT kit on my '04 GT, the kit itself worked great, unfortunately they shipped me instructions for the 05-07 application and I couldn't make it work as they alignment of things is different. Once they got me the right instructions it went on fine and I love the way it all works.

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
What I have found in the past is to install BOTH upper brackets and one lower bracket (either side). For now, let the remaining lower bracket just float. Install both shocks and hook them to the brackets on both ends. With the hood up and supported by the side actually bolted down, position and mark the remaining lower bracket. Then drill that final hole.

On my 98, I did it exactly according to the instructions and in the end, found that the hood was being supported by one side only (probably due to my error), the other side had some play in it. So on my 03, I went with the above change and now the hood is supported correctly by both sides.

Users who are viewing this thread