• Michelin Pilot Super Sport

Votes: 5 62.5%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SD_Stang

Established Member
So in the next few months I plan on replacing my 275/40 19 BFG Sport Comp 2's with either 285/35 19 Michelin Pilot Super Sports or Bridgestone Potenza RE11 or RE11A (not sure what the difference is) these seem to be the stickest Street Tires short of an R compound. Wheels are 19x9.5 Foregstar CF10's on all 4 the car will be running a square setup. Currently it is on a Griggs Super Street package Watts/Torque Arm, Coil Overs front and rear, rear lower control arms w/relocation brackets.

My initial thought was the MPSS but then I started reading a lot of good things on the RE11 and that it seems to have more Grip than the Pilots. Any experience with either of them would be appreciated.

NOWARRANTY

Established Member
I'm running the 275x40x18 RE-11's on a 18x10 squared setup and like them allot. They hookup great off the line and have have very predictable cornering characteristics.

I've got about 7500 miles on mine so far with one rotation and tread wear appears non-existent thus far during regular DD driving and spirited back road adventures.

In the rain they are very good as well but on my setup I have experienced some minor hydroplaning compared to the factory wheels and tires but I'm pretty certain that is because I have a much wider tire up front that doesn't cut thru the water as well as a skinnier tire would. It could also be because I find myself driving much quicker then is perceived due to the suspension mods on the car which were not in place when I had the factory Brembo wheel package.

All in all I highly recommend the RE-11 and plan on picking up the same tires again once these wear out.

BornCoqui

Established Member
I have a stagered set on my car 275/30/19 and 325/30/19 on 19x9.5/19x11 Forgestar F14's.

I have been daily driving on mine for close to 8500 miles without any issue. They may be a 200a tire , but they're wearing better than my stock Pirelli's did at this point.

Zandura99

Almost there
Established Member
I have tested both of these tires, and many others in their prospective categories. You have picked two of the best. They do have a slightly different purpose though, that is where you can determine which is best for you.

The RE-11 is the older version, the RE-11A is a slightly improved tire. The EXTREME performance category is very competitive, with some tire manufacturers only having a given model in the lineup for a year at a time without an update. The RE-11A is the update to the RE-11. This category takes the dry traction one step further than the previous category, MAX performance. The tires like the RE-11A are the Dunlop DZII, DZII Star spec, Yoko AD-08 AD-08R, Hankook RS3, BFG Rival, Kuhmo XS, etc. All these tires are the go between from summer performance and track. They don't have the same wet traction as the MAX performance tires, that is not their job. The EXTREME performance tires though tend to give up wet traction at the limit, which in really warm weather isn't quite as noticeable. But as the temps drop, they really show their weakness in the wet. If you look at the tread, they just have less sipes and channels to evacuate water. You pay for that extra dry traction, in the form of wet traction and longevity. Yesterday I was supposed to do a test with the RIVAL, ZII STAR SPEC, RS-3 AND AD-08R but the temp yesterday morning was 48 degrees so the test would have been pointless. Hopefully we have a warm day next week, I was looking forward to that test!

The MAX performance line, where you find the PSS, the Pirelli P-Zero, Hankook V-12, Bridgestone S04, etc is the peak for combined wet and dry traction. You also should see 20%-40% or so better life out of this category, depending on which tire you select. We often sell PSS or conti DW to weekend racers as their wet track day tires on a budget. They are not as fast as a R compound wet race tire, but R-compound wet tires only last 1 season, so unless you are made of money at their costs they are really not worth it to have for 1-2 wet days. The MAX performance tires (DW and PSS are the best) in the wet are really fast, and will last multiple seasons as a wet track tire.

I would examine your intent, that will tell you which is best for you. Not a right answer here! The PSS will outlast the RE-11. If you are in a heavy rain location and still like to drive aggressively in the rain, the PSS is better. If your car is a low mile, driven in perfect weather car and you want the best dry traction.. .between these two the RE-11A is better. You can abuse the tire more at the track, (in the corners) the temp range is higher, and the lateral grip is higher.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=EP surveys by customers
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=172 test by us

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=MP surveys by customers
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=174 tests by us

You cant compare the times from 1 test to the other, different days and temps. but in the test as a whole it gives you some info for sure.

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
Have mpss, 265/35/19 front, 295/30/20 rear, wrapped around forgestar cf10s.

Came from the stock premium 19" 5 spoke wheels, 245/45/19 pirelli.
Those tires suck big time.

The mpss is awesome, waaay more grip, about the same road noise and only a slight bit bumpier (low profile tires). Anything is better than the stock setup. With the mpss the car feels even more planted and feels faster too, braking feels phenominal. Im stock non brembo brakes too. Im upgrading the brakes for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread