MPEG Compression

Nordi

I'll never grow up!
Established Member
I was wondering what you guys use to convert movie files to MPEG. Also what do you use to compress it? I have a digital video camera and I use Video Wave to tranfer the video to AVI. The problem is that a 5 minute AVI is around 1 gigabyte. I would like to compress them so I could post some. Please advise on what I need to complete my task.

2F2F

[2 F]ast [2 F]urious
Established Member
If you happen to be using Windows XP, Windows Movie Maker 2...

Nordi

I'll never grow up!
Established Member
ox03 I am using Windows 2000, but I have heard of the Win Movie Maker. A buddy of mine has XP and he uses it.
BenBrausen, thanks for the suggestions, I'll download those and try them. Then maybe buy one if it works well. Which one of these would you say works best?

svtcobra808

Established Member
Movie Maker 2 is excellent when it comes to compression, it uses the *.wmv format, but.. FWIW, its a MS specific format, MAC users won't be able to view it, at least to my knowledge unless they created a program to play wmv files on a mac.

Another codec to use for compression is divx, but like alot of programs out there, it uses spyware unless you register the product.

I'm no guru, but my best advice is to keep the video at a standard 320x240 resolution, and no bigger. That is, if you want it distributed on the internet. If i save it as an AVI file, i usually use Intel Indio Video 4.4, and for a lesser quality, Cinepak. But there are tons out there... best thing to do is create a 10 second video, and save each one under different compressions and see which one saves you the most in size with the best possible quality.

yeasure

Old School ModularMan
Established Member
IMO the best video editer is Vegas Video hands down.
Now i'm not the biggest fan of VV4 yet(still use VV3) but to each his own.
Remember there is a learning curve to using the program but if you do hang with it you'll understand why many pro's use VV over everything else.
VV is to Windows like Final Cut Pro is to Macs.

Btw, the reason your .avi's are coming out so large is because it's ripping them "uncompressed" avi's which = about the best there is.
I agree with using .wmv format, doesn't look all that great but it can be made ok, i normaly set mine at 256k/512k and atleast 128 for sound.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread