Moving

ff500

Established Member
We are getting estimates to move from Ma to Va and the estimates are all over the place from $5000 to $12000. Some of the cost is storage fees from mid June until Sept. I've read some horror stories about long distant moves and I'm having a hard time deciding on which company to choose.

I also saw a tv commercial about packrat, which are storage containers dropped off at your home, brought to a climate controlled facility and then delivered to your new home when ready. You can hire movers from hirehelp to load and unload the packrats. We would save some money going this route, but like everything else I've read some negative info on this as well.

Anyone have experience or advice on this? I need to make a decision in the next few days as time is running out.

MassCobra

All set
Established Member
I've never gone through a move like this so I can't help you with your moving questions but want to wish you the best of luck in the next chapter of your life John.

thepizz

OP is a good person
Established Member
I have a hard time trusting people to care for my stuff as I would. I always think of Richard Pryor in Moving when it comes to this subject.

ff500

Established Member
I thought of the uhaul/penske route, we have to much stuff and they just broke ground on the new house it won't be ready until Sept, we would have to load, put into storage and then load and move again. it's essentially two moves. If it were up to me I'd sell as much as I could and get new stuff when we get down there.
My wife is already in Va working and I'm up here seeing this through and taking care of my 8 year old, the school year ends June 18th and then she'll be heading to Va with my wife. I'm heading to the Cape for most of the summer.

LUBaseball2

Established Member
I thought of the uhaul/penske route, we have to much stuff and they just broke ground on the new house it won't be ready until Sept, we would have to load, put into storage and then load and move again. it's essentially two moves. If it were up to me I'd sell as much as I could and get new stuff when we get down there.
My wife is already in Va working and I'm up here seeing this through and taking care of my 8 year old, the school year ends June 18th and then she'll be heading to Va with my wife. I'm heading to the Cape for most of the summer.

I think I remember you sayying you were buying in dominion valley correct? I know a few miles away there is a big storage place over in gainesville off route 29 if you're looking for a place to store things. If you ever need any help with moving anything and if I don't much going on I don't live too far away and wouldn't mind lending a hand!

ff500

Established Member
I think I remember you sayying you were buying in dominion valley correct? I know a few miles away there is a big storage place over in gainesville off route 29 if you're looking for a place to store things. If you ever need any help with moving anything and if I don't much going on I don't live too far away and wouldn't mind lending a hand!

Thanks!! I have a full golf club membership at the dominon valley country club, its good now until 6 months after we close on the house, I haven't golfed much lately but maybe this summer we can play, if you golf.

My wife called me this morning crying, she was on her way to Richmond to one of her stores and she saw a dead body on 95 from an accident.

Last edited:

DriftwoodSVT

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Established Member
I used Mayflower when moving from Iowa to central Texas. Filled most of a semi trailer and it cost around $12,000 for them to come pack, deliver and unpack it.

LUBaseball2

Established Member
Thanks!! I have a full golf club membership at the dvcc, its good now until 6 months after we close on the house, I haven't golfed much lately but maybe this summer we can play, if you golf.

My wife called me this morning crying, she was on her way to Richmond to one of her stores and she saw a dead body on 95 from an accident.

Yea, I'm a golfer. I have been out quite a bit already this year let me know if you wanna play.. there are a lot of nice courses in the area! Damn that sounds like some bad luck to see a body on the side of the road.. That drive from northern va to richmond always seems to have some kinda accident or traffic this time of year.

ff500

Established Member
I used Mayflower when moving from Iowa to central Texas. Filled most of a semi trailer and it cost around $12,000 for them to come pack, deliver and unpack it.

Thats pretty much what we've been getting for quotes from movers who have actually come to the house and surveyed everything, we've started packing ourselves, I think we're looking at about $8000 with storage if we pack ourselves.

Yea, I'm a golfer. I have been out quite a bit already this year let me know if you wanna play.. there are a lot of nice courses in the area! Damn that sounds like some bad luck to see a body on the side of the road.. That drive from northern va to richmond always seems to have some kinda accident or traffic this time of year.

She said there was a van that was crushed like it had rolled over a few times and the body was on the side of the road with a blanket over it, fire and rescue trucks everywhere. She said the van looked exactly like the one I have, which made her more upset.

On my yahoo homepage, I keep Haymarket Va as my local news and everyday it seems someone is shot or stabbed in the DC area. I know Boston can be bad but it seems its a lot worse down there.

LUBaseball2

Established Member
She said there was a van that was crushed like it had rolled over a few times and the body was on the side of the road with a blanket over it, fire and rescue trucks everywhere. She said the van looked exactly like the one I have, which made her more upset.

On my yahoo homepage, I keep Haymarket Va as my local news and everyday it seems someone is shot or stabbed in the DC area. I know Boston can be bad but it seems its a lot worse down there.

haha not in haymarket.. that's pretty country out that way.. Most of the stuff you are probably reading about happens in prince georges county maryland and surrounding areas.. I would say haymarket is almost safe enough to leave your doors unlocked for the most part nothing big happens out there

5spd07gt

BaggedCobra
Established Member
I used Mayflower when I got out of the air force and moved here from Mississippi. Military paid for it so I don't know what the cost was. It was a semi and the service was good. No complaints. They only broke my poker table and they cut me a check for it.

Yah Haymarket is country and a nice area. DC news always sounds bad because it reports Baltimore/DC/Rockville/Annapolis/Northern Virginia. Its a huge area.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
PG county is horrible. i work in Hyattsville which is right on the border of N.E. DC and PG county and we get people dumping bodies all the time.

one happened about a year ago right in front of my office! was crazy! they slit him ear to ear and dumped him in front of a tree...

good luck on the move and welcome to the area!

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
I experienced a similar situation just recently.

When my in-laws first tried to sell their house, we loaded extra stuff into our vehicles, took it all to a storage facility and we unloaded it(several trips...). After three months of no luck, we went back, reloaded(several trips again...) everything and brought it back to the house. A lot of wasted money and time on our part.

In-laws then find a house they want, buy it, have a PODS delivered and we loaded it all up in the driveway and the moving company took it to the new house and dropped it off. Saved us A LOT of time and money. Being that the old house was now "staged" because we emptied everything out, it sold within 3 weeks of relisting it:D

I would use a PODS to load up a lot of what you don't need "right now" and have it stored. Then rent a U-HAUL(or similar) to take what you need "right now" to the new house when it's ready and have the PODS unit delievered at the same time.

Last edited:

oldmodman

Established Member
I helped a friend move using "PODS" and it worked out great. The only thing to worry about is someone breaking into the pod container while it is sitting in the driveway at either end of the move.

TommyPizza

Established Member
I just made a move from NJ to Florida two weeks ago. A little different though bc I was living with my dad, so i didnt have a lot of things to move. My girl had a small apt and we got a storage unit for her for now. She sold a lot of her things and got pretty much what she paid for them back which was great. We only pack the important stuff we needed for now until we go back to NJ. Probably around August, when we get more set up down here, we will be flying back up, renting a uhaul and driving the rest of our things down. An estimate with a car trailer or my mustang was around $1,500. My brother did this move the same exact way, but then again we were not moving a whole house.

phillycobra99

Established Member
Be careful with hiring movers, when I moved from NJ to Flordia I had one of those services where they pack and hold your stuff for a extended period of time. Anyway when the stuff arrived in FL half my furniture was broken/dinged up. Boxes were smashed etc.

Users who are viewing this thread