moving to the area

cobra_mer

Established Member
Hey all thought I would drop a line to say hi and that I will be moving to the detroit area this june. I am moving up from Fayetteville NC and look forward to hanging out. Hopefully you guys have some pointers on good shops in the area. My 03 zinc yellow vert has some upgrades, but is in the process of getting a 2.9 whipple and fuel system upggrade.

My wife and I are looking at brighton, royal oaks and a few other areas to settle down in, if you have some ideas for nice places to live, we are looking to rent, a house preferably with yard for the dog and a garage of course for my cobra ;-). I will be working in the warren area and would like to live within 45 mins or less. Also my wife is a elementary school teacher who will need to look for a new job in the area, does any one know of some good school systems she could apply to? Thanks all and look forward to meeting up somtime in the near future. :beer:

TRMNTR

Established Member
I like Brighton but that would be a long drive to Warren. Royal Oak is popular especially with the younger crowd. You might want to consider areas to the north like Macomb .

ewingfly

Established Member
I live in warren currently and have rented a house in royal oak area for a few years before. If you are looking to rent the royal oak/ferndale/clawson area has a lot of homes to choose from as this is a big college area and most of the homes seem to be rentals. As well as a bunch of recent medical graduates due to Beaumont hospital close by (Im in my last 2 years of pharmacy school). I would suggest there as the restaurants/night/social life is much better in that area than just about any in michigan. Its also very safe. As for your wife, Ive heard good things about the school systems in that area due to some of my friends being teachers. Hope this helps and welcome to michigan!

cobra_mer

Established Member
Thanks all for the input, look forward to moving into the area, being close to family is something I have been trying to do in my career for some time now, so we are very excited.

COBRA90GT

The Joe is rockin'
Established Member
OP - The following is simply generic advice, not meant as a "guide," just one person's opinion:

Driving from Brighton to Warren everyday would make for a hectic commute IMHO. Guess it depends on how far (mileage) or long (timewise) of a commute you are willing to deal with though. The far north-western suburbs of Novi, Brighton, and Howell are VERY nice but the mileage/driving time would make for a frustrating commute during rush hour times.

If you are looking at the city of Warren itself, you would be wise to look towards the "north" end of the city. "South" Warren is not what it used to be - avoid it if you can (no offense to anyone).

You'd probably want to get north of the 12 Mile area if you are looking at places close to the freeway on the eastside (think: Roseville, St Clair Shores, etc) or possibly even 16 Mile (ie - Clinton Twp, Harrison Twp) and further up north along I-94 (ie - Macomb Twp, Lenox Twp, etc) if you want to avoid a lot of the riff-raff from the city folks down south and desire a really big yard with lots of property.

Royal Oak wouldn't be too far of a drive into Warren but their real estate prices, especially their downtown housing, can get a little pricey, relatively speaking. It does have a decent nightlife atmosphere and Woodward runs right through it - heaven for car fans every 3rd Saturday in August (although some who inhabit thsy area often leave to avoid the cruise due to the constant noise during the Dream Cruise).

The good news is that most of the housing in the metro area has suffered from depressed property values so you can get a lot more for your money nowadays compared to several years ago (obviously due to the economy tanking).

You'll also want to consider school districts along with location if you guys have kids (or plan on staying for several years and having kids).

Again, just a few observations - do plenty of research ahead of time and if you have questions, feel free to ask anyone who hails from this area.

G'luck with the move...

cobra_mer

Established Member
Thanks for the input Corba90gt it will really help when my wife and I look for the ideal area. When we come up to look at areas in April, we might drive the Cobra. If we do I will post when we get into the area and maybe see if there are any meet and greets or shows going on around there. :beer: Thanks again all!

Blksnke

Established Member
I live in the washington township area which starts at 26 mile and vandyke.
van dyke will take you straight to warren, they just redid the freeway till 18 mile road. and the center of warren is 13 mile rd.

Users who are viewing this thread