moving to montana

stangzor

Established Member
currently, I'm a resident of Florida. Yeah every one knows it as the sunshine state. Well when you live here you feel that it's nothing special. Anyway, I'm moving up to Missoula Montana in a few months. I've never seen snow and I'm honestly not prepared to move up there experience wise. Can I get some advice on what I need or what I will have to do living in a completely different environment. All advice will help me. I jsut want to be a little more prepared with some proper knowledge. The only thing I have so far that will benefit me up there is my 2006 f250 fx4 turbo diesel. Come on let me know what I'm getting myself into lol.:banana: Oh almost forgot what kind of tires should I get on my truck right now I currently have bf goodrich all terain ta's

Last edited:

Blown_By_You

Richard Head
Established Member
currently, I'm a resident of Florida. Yeah every one knows it as the sunshine state. Well when you live here you feel that it's nothing special. Anyway, I'm moving up to Missoula Montana in a few months. I've never seen snow and I'm honestly not prepared to move up there experience wise. Can I get some advice on what I need or what I will have to do living in a completely different environment. All advice will help me. I jsut want to be a little more prepared with some proper knowledge. The only thing I have so far that will benefit me up there is my 2006 f250 fx4 turbo diesel. Come on let me know what I'm getting myself into lol.:banana: Oh almost forgot what kind of tires should I get on my truck right now I currently have bf goodrich all terain ta's

Your radial t/a's will do just fine...

No need to freak out.. the weather is not as bad as you think..

Just watch out for hippies.. Missoula is FULL of them

x NOODLES x

Big Hitter da LLama!
Established Member
Be ready to turn into a hunter. :lol:

One of those things you just get roped into by association. And Sleddin' is always a fun hobby! :rockon:

N2DAMYSTIC

WAS THERE A BILL OF SALE
Established Member
Been to both places. Tires and truck are both fine. Only thing you need to do is invest in some quality warm clothing, and forget about finding a good Cuban sandwich.

ford_racer

King of SVTP
Established Member
SLOW DOWN when driving in snow. Just because you have 4wd doesn't mean snow doesn't affect you. It's amazing how many people think this, snow natives or not.

And by that, I mean give yourself extra room to break and turn slower than normal. I usually do the speed limit on snowy roads.

tj04cobra

Established Member
That's a huge change! I've never been to either place but if it's going to be retarded ass cold don't forget to plug your block heater cord in on the 6.0. Injectors won't last long if you don't. Plug it in over night, change the oil to 5w-40.

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
Gonna start up a dental floss farm? Sorry, old Frank Zappa tune.

Jim Snover

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
and forget about finding a good Cuban sandwich.

Too much of a sacrifice..lol

Oh and going off of what ford_racer said. 4WD doesn't help you on ice as much as you would think.

I thought snow was fun as hell to drive in. When offroading its kinda like sugar sand in some ways.

N2DAMYSTIC

WAS THERE A BILL OF SALE
Established Member
Don't use your windshield spray in winter.

Ask me how I know. :shrug:

Really it is just a matter of switching up to washer fluid with a higher ethanol content.

Funny story, Had both my DD's serviced by a quick change oil place and they just put blue colored water in there IMO. Washer was completely frozen last winter. I figured one warm day I would just pour some grain alcohol in there to further melt the ice, and solve the problem. Well, it worked just fine, but initially did not go so well when I was pulled over for speeding one night. I had just used the washer and the truck smelled like hard core alcohol. I got checked and was fine, but everytime we used the washer the truck stunk pretty hardcore of Grain Alcohol. I was glad when that ran out.

Good thing was he laughed about why it reaked so bad of alcohol, and ended up just giving me a warning.

FL-Orange

Almost Native
Established Member
Not to be confused with adding antifreeze to your washer fluid LOL!

Of course. I grew up in NJ but never drove there. I "moved" up there when I was 21 or 22. The first time I got out of work late and it was starting to snow I hit the washer button and immediately froze up the windshield. I was navigating the highway, looking for the next gas station with my head out the window in 20* weather.

I came back to Florida after 3-4 months.

fiveohhhstang

Established Member
You'll be fine. It's not Antarctica up here like people seem to think. Just slow down when you drive in snow, and get a good winter coat.

Julie GT07CS

Established Member
I would love to see Montana, I have never been. I wanna babysit the twins!!

OP I would imagine you would need to budget yourself extra moola for the cold months. What's the norm used for heating a house up there? Gas?

swoosh_stang

I'm not evil, Trust Me
Established Member
Make sure your truck is ready for cold weather, make sure it has the correct Antifreeze/water ratio, make sure it's got a block heater, diesels + subzero temps = bad if you aren't prepared.

Make sure you have the proper wardrobe, especially if you're going in the middle of winter, you will need the right clothes.

If you're going up for work, ask the people you've been talking to for the job, for suggestions.

fiveohhhstang

Established Member
I would love to see Montana, I have never been. I wanna babysit the twins!!

OP I would imagine you would need to budget yourself extra moola for the cold months. What's the norm used for heating a house up there? Gas?

Eh, my parents have a 2500 square foot house and their heating bill is 150 a month or so. It costs a lot less to hear your house than it does to pay for AC running all summer long.

And yes come up here for a visit, Julie!!

Users who are viewing this thread