Moving to Kansas City, where to look?

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
I tried the regional forums with no responses, so Im posting in here.

I'll be moving to KC in the next few weeks. I'm looking for places to avoid, and maybe some hidden gems?

I dont want an apartment in town, i'd prefer a spot outside the city where I can do an oil change in the driveway if I feel like it. I'm single with no family, but not opposed to a 2-3br house.

Lone jack is a good example of the size of area I'd prefer. Something within a 40 minute drive of bannister federal complex too.

Any recommendations?

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
Edit-Saw the Bannister Complex. I don't know the area to well over there, sorry:(

Last edited:

dtheo

FUBAR Enforcer
Established Member
What part of KC will you be working? North, south, east or west? That will depend on my reply.

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
What part of KC will you be working? North, south, east or west? That will depend on my reply.

I didn't really specify its where I'd be working, but Bannister Federal Complex.

I'm completely fine with commuting to work in order to get a nicer area.

lokslikasolstic

Mrs. 203Cree
Established Member
DON'T move close to the Bannister area. If you want that size stick with Lee's Summit or Belton. Or even go to the Kansas side and look at Prairie Village or Brookside. I've lived here all my life and Brookside is definitely a hidden gem. Depending on your price range, you could even go more south into Overland Park or Olathe. I grew up in OP and absolutely love it. There is a little bit of everything here and the area itself is beautiful.

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
Thanks! I'm looking to stay out of the city for sure. If I can rent a house where I don't see my neighbors that works even better.

Ill research the areas you suggested, 'preciate it!

dtheo

FUBAR Enforcer
Established Member
Overland Park, Praire village, Brookside, Leawood, Lenexa, Shawnee all are good. Downtown has decent lofts, Plaza has awesome lofts and apartments.

Stay out of kansas city, kansas proper.

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
Thanks for the info. How is rush hour in the mornings going to the bannister area?

megameGT500

Suck it up and drive on!!
Established Member
I lived in Blue Springs for about 21 years before I joind the Army. It's off I-70 and about 18 miles from KC. Independence has some nice parts as does Lees Summit. A few miles east of Blue Springs you have Grain Valley. I loved living there, my parents still do. I hope to move back with my wife/kids some day.

Good Luck,

Mike :)

b_dike

Established Member
I live just outside Parkville. Beautiful area tucked back in the hills just on the east side of the mo river. Like you I was wanting a place outside of the city limits found this gem of a place and love it. Also you might want to check out the NW side of town around the KCI area. I know that would be quite a drive to your work, but if you didnt mind its the most undeveloped(rural) part of the metro area, and imo the most beautiful.

Users who are viewing this thread