Moving South! (Lynchburg, VA) Some Questions About the Area.

99PunisherSVT

Established Member
After the winter we had in New England this year (over 110"!) I'm finally calling it quits and moving down to Lynchburg, VA. My wife's best friend and her family live down there and my company has a lab in the next town over so it kinda worked out perfectly. Friend's father even has his real estate license so he's looking for us already. We'll be heading down in July for a week to scope things out and moving permanently in early to mid October. I won't be bringing down any SVTs (although I'm sure I'll snag another one soon enough) but I will have my 64 1/2 restomod/pro touring Mustang to play with.

So my first question is what is the car scene like down there? I understand it's a college town and from what I can tell there aren't a whole lot of car shows/cruise nights. I was down there a year ago and from what I remember there was a lot of newer Camaros and Mustangs rolling around (mostly v6 like much of the south). I'm guessing I'll have to drive to Roanoke for anything good?

Second is what do you all (or y'all I suppose) do for fun in the Lynchburg area? Our friends have told us about plenty of stuff but I always like to ask around to get the most well rounded answer possible. My wife and I especially enjoy outdoor activities. Although both in our early to mid 20's neither of us are much into nightlife (which seems to be scarce in the town anyways) but prefer a bonfire with friends and a few beers. I'm especially looking forward to fishing, shooting and a longer motorcycle/Mustang season.

Lastly are there any good speed or performance shops in the area? I do nearly all of my own work but there are some things that I do like to sub out. The plan is to build a 4 or 5 bay garage at whatever house we buy so I have a place to service and build my cars/trucks and bikes and work on other peoples vehicles on the side. I've done a few partial restorations and have a guy up here that does media blasting and another that sprays my primer. I'd like to continue once I move so any help locating people who offer those services would be appreciated.

If you have any other pointers or suggestions that would be awesome. I'm really looking forward to moving down and slowing life down a bit. Things move fast up here in MA and I'm ready to take it easy for a bit.

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
I am in Richmond, which is only about 2 hours away. Richmond, Roanoke, and other cities have a good car scene. You're in luck for a performance shop as Hi-End Auto is right in Appomatox, just a few miles away. Robert specializes in supercharged Cobras/Shelbys, and always had a good selection on hand, not to mention one of the best painters and best SVT mechanics around.

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
You can go hang out with thatdudeinblue. If you don't know who that is - check youtube. Maybe even get your 64 1/2 up on his channel.

99PunisherSVT

Established Member
I am in Richmond, which is only about 2 hours away. Richmond, Roanoke, and other cities have a good car scene. You're in luck for a performance shop as Hi-End Auto is right in Appomatox, just a few miles away. Robert specializes in supercharged Cobras/Shelbys, and always had a good selection on hand, not to mention one of the best painters and best SVT mechanics around.

I completely forgot about Hi-End Auto. I was looking to buy a Cobra from there a few years ago. I've sent multiple people down who were looking for one. Thanks for the reminder!

Roanoke has a decent mustang club. Star city mustangs

I'll have to check them out.

You can go hang out with thatdudeinblue. If you don't know who that is - check youtube. Maybe even get your 64 1/2 up on his channel.

Never heard of him but just watched a few videos. Pretty awesome youtube channel. Do you know where in Virginia he's from?

Hel1ion

Established Member
@99punisher Im in Richmond too. There are alot of clubs and cruises in the central Va area. To answer your question thatdudeinblue is from chesterfield super cool dude to hang with he did a video of my turbo GT-CS a while ago.

99PunisherSVT

Established Member
Sweet deal man! I can't wait to get down there. I'd love to head out and meet you all at a show sometime. Does anyone do the cruise down to Mustang Week? I'm coming down too late for it this year but I'd love to join up with some people next year.

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
We have a group from the Richmond area (RVA) that goes down each year.

HandBanana

Established Member
Lived in Lynchburg for 5 years. Have family in the SML area still and plenty of friends in LBC, Forest, Bedford. It's a nice area. Crime rate is low, good hunting/fishing to be had in the surrounding area, especially out at Smith Mountain. Not a whole lot going on in the city but as far as family life is concerned, you couldn't ask for better. Winters have been a little rough lately down there but nothing like what you are used to. VERY gun friendly area, actually a pretty solid car scene as well. Some really fast cars come down from South Boston sometimes to cruise Ward's in the summer. Below I've listed some things you should check out, best of luck on your move!

-Waterstone Pizza and Brewery, FANTASTIC!
-Texas Inn downtown for greasy, after bar hours food
-Blue Ridge Parkway, only about 20 min away in Big Island there is a nice on-ramp to the AMAZING road, very picture worthy
-LU SnowFlex on Candler's Mtn, year round snowboarding/skiing
-LU football, baseball, basketball games
-Depot Grille downtown in the Basin
-Robin Alexander downtown, great food, good drinks
-Stoney Badger out on 221 for wings, NFL games and lazy sundays

There's also a good shooting range off 460 and Sunburst Rd, take Leesville Rd exit to get there. Really good group of older dudes, good prices and ENDLESS selection of ammo.

When you get bored, head down to Roanoke, or north 2.5 hours to Richmond, specifically the Short Pump area.

99PunisherSVT

Established Member
We have a group from the Richmond area (RVA) that goes down each year.

Awesome. I'll have to hook up with you guys next year then. If I can sell my 66 soon there is a nice 99 Rio Red Cobra for sale here that I'll be picking up as my DD while I finish the 64 1/2.

Lived in Lynchburg for 5 years. Have family in the SML area still and plenty of friends in LBC, Forest, Bedford. It's a nice area. Crime rate is low, good hunting/fishing to be had in the surrounding area, especially out at Smith Mountain. Not a whole lot going on in the city but as far as family life is concerned, you couldn't ask for better. Winters have been a little rough lately down there but nothing like what you are used to. VERY gun friendly area, actually a pretty solid car scene as well. Some really fast cars come down from South Boston sometimes to cruise Ward's in the summer. Below I've listed some things you should check out, best of luck on your move!

-Waterstone Pizza and Brewery, FANTASTIC!
-Texas Inn downtown for greasy, after bar hours food
-Blue Ridge Parkway, only about 20 min away in Big Island there is a nice on-ramp to the AMAZING road, very picture worthy
-LU SnowFlex on Candler's Mtn, year round snowboarding/skiing
-LU football, baseball, basketball games
-Depot Grille downtown in the Basin
-Robin Alexander downtown, great food, good drinks
-Stoney Badger out on 221 for wings, NFL games and lazy sundays

There's also a good shooting range off 460 and Sunburst Rd, take Leesville Rd exit to get there. Really good group of older dudes, good prices and ENDLESS selection of ammo.

When you get bored, head down to Roanoke, or north 2.5 hours to Richmond, specifically the Short Pump area.

This is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks brother! That all sounds great. I think my party days are behind me so the small town setting with not much going on sounds great. Very happy to hear it's gun friendly and I'll be looking forward to visiting that range. I'll be sure to check out every one of the things you listed out. I'm assuming you attended the LU for a few years? My brother actually goes there now.

HandBanana

Established Member
Awesome. I'll have to hook up with you guys next year then. If I can sell my 66 soon there is a nice 99 Rio Red Cobra for sale here that I'll be picking up as my DD while I finish the 64 1/2.

This is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks brother! That all sounds great. I think my party days are behind me so the small town setting with not much going on sounds great. Very happy to hear it's gun friendly and I'll be looking forward to visiting that range. I'll be sure to check out every one of the things you listed out. I'm assuming you attended the LU for a few years? My brother actually goes there now.

Happy to help! Yes, I went to LU and then stayed another year after graduation. Ending up moving with my fiance'. It is definitely a nice small town but it is growing rapidly as the school has pretty much taken over Lynchburg, it's the size of a state school now. I still enjoy visiting out there, they have some of the best weather in the country IMO and being surrounded by the Blue Ridge creates a beautiful backdrop. Best of luck in your move! Hope it all works out well for ya!

99PunisherSVT

Established Member
Thanks brother! I see you're in Nashville now. I'm very jealous. If it weren't for my wife's best friend living down there and the guarantee of work in the area I'd probably be moving down closer to you. LU has definitely become a staple of that town. I heard they're even building a civic center for concerts to come through. I like the fact that its a college town that has plenty of amenities but as soon as you get outside of the downtown/LU area its still the sticks. I grew up in the woods and can't wait to get back to it!

Users who are viewing this thread