Moving overseas. Thoughts?

mav_tu

Established Member
I am taking a job in Doha, Qatar that will last for a year with an option to renew for an additional year (or two or three). The pay is pretty decent, and everything I could find online about this place has been very good.

Does anyone have any input on the location, or has anyone been there that can give me some inside info? Thanks! :beer:

mav_tu

Established Member
Security Contractor. Pretty easy job since they provide accomodations, transportation, food, and a daily allowance!

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
hope you like humidity and heat. Other than that you should be good. you working for an American contractor or someone else?

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
I believe Mike K, (SN), currently works over there. May be a good person to talk to.

Mike K is in Iraq, which is where I am as well. Iraq working enviornment is quite different that Qatar in a lot of ways. Which is why I asked for the additional information.

SLOW95

SIT DOWN AND SHUT UP!
Established Member
Dude you will love Quatar its really nice, for the most part the people are nice but still watch your back you know what I mean.

N2DAMYSTIC

WAS THERE A BILL OF SALE
Established Member
Mike K is in Iraq, which is where I am as well. Iraq working enviornment is quite different that Qatar in a lot of ways. Which is why I asked for the additional information.

Obviously have the wrong person then. Hmmm.... I'll figure it out.

Sapperstang

Established Member
security contractor. Pretty easy job since they provide accomodations, transportation, food, and a daily allowance!

This isn't with dyncorp is it? I just turned that job down and you need to know why! Better pm me or reply here. Trust me you don't want it if it is what i think it is.

Mike K

مسافر عالمي
Established Member
Obviously have the wrong person then. Hmmm.... I'll figure it out.

Your memory is better than you think. I worked with Northrop Grumman for 2.5 years in Qatar. Did 6 months in Antarctica with Raytheon. 4 months with KBR (AFCAP) in Iraq and now I am working with IAP in Iraq.

Waiting for additional information from OP before giving any info.

Sapperstang

Established Member
Your memory is better than you think. I worked with Northrop Grumman for 2.5 years in Qatar. Did 6 months in Antarctica with Raytheon. 4 months with KBR (AFCAP) in Iraq and now I am working with IAP in Iraq.

Waiting for additional information from OP before giving any info.

I'm waiting too. I was offered what I believe to be the same job he is talking about. I turned it down and I want him to know why because he may not want to take it after he reads what I found. Some shady stuff goin on. Where ya at OP?

Mike K

مسافر عالمي
Established Member
I'm waiting too. I was offered what I believe to be the same job he is talking about. I turned it down and I want him to know why because he may not want to take it after he reads what I found. Some shady stuff goin on. Where ya at OP?

Mind sending me the cliff notes? Just curious is all.

89YSICoupe

Established Member
I'm in the UAE,which is very near there,its hot in the summer,once you get over the culture shock and get accustomed to the climate,I think you'll like it.

Sapperstang

Established Member
Mind sending me the cliff notes? Just curious is all.

PM'd. If it is the same job which I bet it is then this guy will be heading to TX very soon.

Here are some articles. These issues may be corrected but they tell you they will take your passport which would leave you stuck there. I wasn't going to risk it.

http://www.tradingmarkets.com/.site/news/Stock News/1668587/
http://www.qatarliving.com/node/70555
http://www.boston.com/news/world/mi...kers_in_mideast_find_hurdles_in_local_courts/
http://forums.military.com/eve/foru...m/6030088971001?r=6030088971001#6030088971001

Last edited:

Mike K

مسافر عالمي
Established Member
Wow that sucks, especially for that kind of money!

Additional questions for OP. Prior military and if so do you have (had) a clearance? Clearance = money.

Sapperstang

Established Member

Additional questions for OP. Prior military and if so do you have (had) a clearance? Clearance = money.

Well they make it sound pretty good. They say you get $25 a day plus air fare home for vacation which of course doesn't even cover it. I knew something was strange when they hired me so fast and wanted to to get my ass to TX for orientation and then ship right out.

I hope this is a different job but it sure sounds like what I was offered and if i it is I want him to know. I don't want to see anyone get screwed over.

Last edited:

mav_tu

Established Member

Prior LE, no military experience. It would be a position with DynCorp, which after reading the articles has me a little worried. PM being sent to Sapperstang... :(

Users who are viewing this thread