Moving car from OR -> WA

llDemonll

Established Member
Not sure if the Donut Shop is the right place, but it seems most appropriate.

Situation as it stands:

My parents live in Oregon (they have for three years)
They both have Oregon Driver's Licenses
I go to school in Washington
I'm planning on staying here when I graduate
I have a Washington ID from when we lived here before

I'm looking at buying a car in Oregon and as I understand, if a car is registered in Oregon for at least 90 days it can be moved to Washington without paying use tax as per RCW 82.12.0251.

If that does hold true, my question is:
Can the title have two names on it with different "states", or is there some way to have the car registered in Oregon and legally drive it up here? I'm going to be driving the car in Washington while in school but am trying to avoid paying taxes here since I don't technically live here. I just don't know if I can have my name on the title since I'm from a different state. The car will be on a loan and the loan will also have both mine and my parents names on it.

I can do my best to expand if needed, let me know

Thanks!

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member
Not sure if the Donut Shop is the right place, but it seems most appropriate.

Situation as it stands:

My parents live in Oregon (they have for three years)
They both have Oregon Driver's Licenses
I go to school in Washington
I'm planning on staying here when I graduate
I have a Washington ID from when we lived here before

I'm looking at buying a car in Oregon and as I understand, if a car is registered in Oregon for at least 90 days it can be moved to Washington without paying use tax as per RCW 82.12.0251.

If that does hold true, my question is:
Can the title have two names on it with different "states", or is there some way to have the car registered in Oregon and legally drive it up here? I'm going to be driving the car in Washington while in school but am trying to avoid paying taxes here since I don't technically live here. I just don't know if I can have my name on the title since I'm from a different state. The car will be on a loan and the loan will also have both mine and my parents names on it.

I can do my best to expand if needed, let me know

Thanks!

So are you trying to not pay taxes at all? Or just avoiding paying both state taxes?

Vehicle will not be titled in two states. Only one.

Your car may be titled in the banks name actually, depending on how the loan is written. You might only receive a memorandum of title to obtain and renew plates and such. If that is the case you would not actually possess the title until the loan is paid off. If this is the case then the vehicle may be titled in the state of the bank who wrote the loan. (if the bank is local)

I know there are a lot of "ifs" and "mays" but when a bank loan is involved things can change. It may also depend on who is primary on the loan, you or your parents.

You should talk to loan writer first to find out who will actually possess the title. Then go from there.

Last edited:

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
Oregon doesn't have state sales tax, which is what he's trying to avoid paying in Washington..

Easy nuff, just keep it registered in Oregon, I think, since your a student there, you can till you are legally a Washington resident.. (get an Oregon drivers license as well)

as for where it's titled, that depends on who the registered owner is, not where the bank is located..

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member
Oregon doesn't have state sales tax, which is what he's trying to avoid paying in Washington..

Easy nuff, just keep it registered in Oregon, I think, since your a student there, you can till you are legally a Washington resident.. (get an Oregon drivers license as well)

as for where it's titled, that depends on who the registered owner is, not where the bank is located..

I wasn't referring to the banks location only for registration purposes. I was trying to fish for more information but the OP is not supplying it. I never stated that it would be titled in state of bank alone. hence the (if the bank is local)

I think you misunderstood where I was going there.. but who cares if the OP doesn't? :shrug:

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
I wasn't referring to the banks location only for registration purposes. I was trying to fish for more information but the OP is not supplying it. I never stated that it would be titled in state of bank alone. hence the (if the bank is local)

I think you misunderstood where I was going there.. but who cares if the OP doesn't? :shrug:

I think your correct, if the OP doesn't care...
:shrug:

rfat16

Muscle Car Master
Established Member
Basically while you're going to school up here i was told it was legal to not register the car in Wa as long as your tab and reg are current. Have your parents send you up tabs when needed and you should be good. That is my understanding from what i have been told. I am not a LEO though.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Basically while you're going to school up here i was told it was legal to not register the car in Wa as long as your tab and reg are current. Have your parents send you up tabs when needed and you should be good. That is my understanding from what i have been told. I am not a LEO though.

What is a tab?

Dusten

Established Member
Alright, i answered this yesterday but do not see it, so i will answer it again, from personal experience. I am military, oregon resident, stationed in washington. I legally maintain my residence due to this. I keep all of my vehicle registered and titled in oregon. My wife, a washington resident is on all of the titles. When titling the vehicle you just put their name, and oregon assigns them a customer number. So, your parents can title the car in oregon and put you on it as a registered owner. I also did this with my little brother. he lives in washington for college. He bought a car in oregon and didn't want to pay "use tax" which is what washington calls it, because they can't charge sales tax on a vehicle purchased out of state. So i put my name on the car to keep the title in oregon. When its registration expired 2 years later he just moved the title to washington then.
as stated though, the only reason for you to keep oregon registration is because you are a student. Once you graduate, if you continue to do this you are breaking the law. Washington gets pretty strict about people who try and skirt registration fee's. I know my wife was questioned for about 15 minutes about her washington drivers license and oregon plates. Mine is even better because i have an oregon license with a washington address on it.

Last edited:

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
prostkr is right but man i thought that word was super common. Is that a Wa. thing?

What does everyone call them everywhere else????

Tag is your license plate. The registration sticker, where required, is usually referred to as a registration sticker.

Dusten

Established Member
Adam, in oregon when we re-new our registration it is commonly referred as re-newing our tabs. Example being "My tabs are due up next month..."

mrose75

Established Member
Damn, everwhere else I've heard them referred to as tags. Like, "my tags expired last week, I need to get to the DMV,"

Nice car OP, what part of WA?

Washington gets pretty strict about people who try and skirt registration fee's. I know my wife was questioned for about 15 minutes about her washington drivers license and oregon plates.

This would explain why when I got pulled over with TX tags in my uniform, how long I've been living in WA. Figured it was something like that. Damn them though, I'm keeping my TX tags. Ticket me if you must.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dusten

Established Member
As long as you keep a texas license you can legally keep your texas plates. Get a WA license and get WA plates.

Users who are viewing this thread