mounting gas shock hood props on fiberglass, asking for trouble?

venomous99

Established Member
im considering getting rid of the unsightly hood prop and replacing with a redline set.
been reading that some have encountered some issues w/ the brackets separating out from the fiberglass due to the fiberglass not being strong enough to hold rivets on a high pressure point.
http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...2828-red-line-tuning-hood-shock-people.html11

anyone have these on a fiberglass hood and have you had any issues? i would hate to install these and later experience the issues some have seen in the above link.
thanks

F8L BYT

Established Member
It shouldn't be a problem... I saw a ton of cars at mustang week last year that had them on aftermarket hoods. Other than that I don't know exactly how to do it so I'll leave that to someone with experience... Haha I'm no help

venomous99

Established Member
does anyone know if the mrt fit our cars? i see it listed for 99-04. what i like about this one is it utilizes existing holes and the hood hinge bracket to mount the shock.

RIO RED SNAKE

4:10's = The Suck
Established Member
i was at mustangs unlimited and i saw mrt ones on a 95 gt....and he had the stock gt hood so i guess they will work, i want a set for my cobra bt i saw the whole fiberglass thing and i said ehhh the hood prop isnt that bad..ahah

venomous99

Established Member
yeah its not so much the hood that would cause a fitment issue since the mrt utilizes the hood bracket for mounting. its the fender bold that it uses may not be in the same location but if uve seen it on a 95 then i assume it would work. i emailed mrt so we'll see what they say. redline is a nice looking kit but riveting onto fiberglass scares me

venomous99

Established Member
no doubt the redline has worked on a lot of setups but u cant deny that some have had issues that i wouldnt atribute to the install but more just a weakness inherit in the application. it might work for many for years to come but i still wouldnt want to take a chance of being that small %.
im leaning towards the mrt but just need to verify it works for our cars.
are all stock hoods from 94 and up also made of composite or fiberglass?

98LazerRedCobra

lazer red
Established Member
what are the brands that make these kits besides the ones named on here what are the prices and what are best qualitys

venomous99

Established Member
the answer i got from mrt is that the 99 and up kit wont work as the 94-98 hood design is different...interesting so the ones w/ are sporting the kit they probably had to do some modification.

karnutz4

Established Member
I have had redline struts on mine for two years and have no issues at all..justbe carefull and measure twice before drilling and you will be fine !!! I love mine.
100_0932.jpg

Wynn

Wants 11's
Established Member
Lol I was going to ask about why it was still on there, but then I figured it's not a bad idea if you're going to be working on the car with the hood up. Nonetheless, it looks awesome with those, and I'm sure it's much cleaner without the prop rod.

cobraman1024

Waiting to be Blown....
Established Member
I just installed a set of the Redline Quicklift Elites on my '95 Cobra with the H.O. Fibertrends Cobra R 3.5" rise cowl hood about 3 weeks ago and it seems as though I have the beginning of stress lines about 1" in from each side edge of the hood. I wish I could take pictures of it but the sun is too damn bright right now lol......

venomous99

Established Member
well i just ordered a set from MRT and from what their tech mentioned there is some "minor" modifying that is needed to the bracket that mounts onto the hinge bracket. ill be sure to document what i find when i finally get the kit in.
i suggested to them to produce a kit that fits our 94-98 w/out modification as theyre missing out on business from us 94-98 folks. the kit does look to be superior to the redline given that this uses the factorying mounting hardware which is a lot stronger than relying on rivets to hold a bracket into a fiberglass hood.
who knows..if there is enough interest the good folks at mrt might honor a group purchase.

venomous99

Established Member
i finally received the 99 and up kit from MRT.
im not sure how the 94-98 cobra R hoods compare to stock but i did have to modify the hood bracket heavily to clear my hood. ill have some pics by this weekend as i need to prep the brackets for repaint. hopefully with the feedback i provide to MRT, they'll eventually come out with a direct bolt-on kit for our cars. mocking up the bracket after the mods, im happy with what i see so far.

venomous99

Established Member
u can sort of see where i notched the rectangular piece to clear the hump on the cobra R hood. its not perfect but good enough where the cut area isnt as noticeable in person.
in all honesty, it was a pain in the ass to get it to clear using a dremel but if i had better tools im sure it wouldve been a breeze.

DSCN2282.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread