Mounting a Winch in a Trailer

Miamifan1354

De Chapter of the MACA
Established Member
Just wondering if anyone has ever mounted a winch inside a trailer. I just recieved my superwinch s5000 and I want to mount it inside on the floor of a Haulmark 24' racecar trailer, but I don't want to rip the floor out when I pull the car up for the first time. I have the wiring kit to run to the truck battery, just need to know if anyone has any idea on what to do. Thanks

wvmystichrome

Established Member
I would get a couple of pieces of angle iron or channel steel. I would then drill holes in them corresponding to where you are mounting the winch. Make sure each end of the steel/angle iron catches the frame on each end of it. Then tighten everything down real tight. For an added precaution you can even bolt the angle iron/steel to your trailer's frame. That is the way I did my 10,000 lb recessed D-rings. Just to be safe. I want to install a winch on mine but just have not had the extra money to do so.

OBTW make sure to release the car's brakes before you attemp to pull it with your winch or it will rip the floor out. Just my .02 cents worth. HA HA.

straightliner1

Established Member
LOL - I have the same winch and the same trailer!

I used a stud finder and located the middle frame rail and drilled 2 1/2" holes through the floor and through the 2X6 framerail. I then drilled out the 3/8" holes in the bottom of the winch as I was not comfortable trusting a 5000lb winch to only 2 3/8" bolts. I needed 8" long bolts to go through a hardened washer, the winch mounting plate itself, a small steel diamond plate footer pad, the 2X6 framerail, another hardened washer and a locking nut. It will have to bend some SERIOUS metal to move this baby.

PM me if you have specific questions - like I said, same exact winch and trailer. :)

Miamifan1354

De Chapter of the MACA
Established Member
straightliner1 said:
LOL - I have the same winch and the same trailer!

I used a stud finder and located the middle frame rail and drilled 2 1/2" holes through the floor and through the 2X6 framerail. I then drilled out the 3/8" holes in the bottom of the winch as I was not comfortable trusting a 5000lb winch to only 2 3/8" bolts. I needed 8" long bolts to go through a hardened washer, the winch mounting plate itself, a small steel diamond plate footer pad, the 2X6 framerail, another hardened washer and a locking nut. It will have to bend some SERIOUS metal to move this baby.

PM me if you have specific questions - like I said, same exact winch and trailer. :)

Awesome, thanks. Got any pics?

straightliner1

Established Member
I have the trailer in storage (too big to keep in front of the house 24/7) but I'll get some ASAP. When are you looking to start this project?

Users who are viewing this thread