Mountain bike help please

Ghost

Ghost
Established Member
First, I know this is not a bicycle forum. But, I also know there are some very knowledgeable cyclists here that I trust. So I figured I would post this

I'm looking to buy an entry level mountain bike. I have narrowed it down to two based on my price range. They are both on sale right now at REI so I'm looking to purchase asap. I just wanted to know which one you folks suggest I buy

Scott Aspect 940 29er $595
http://www.rei.com/product/865701/scott-aspect-940-29er-bike-2014

Novara matador $680
http://www.rei.com/product/837480/novara-matador-29er-bike-2014

I like the Scott brand better but someone told me the matador has amazing components. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you for reading this and I appreciate any and all responses.

Last edited:

Mentos

Earn this
Established Member
I used to be in the MTB scene (also worked for a parts distributer for a few years). Some of my knowledge is probably outdated now.

There are a lot of bike choices out there, but......With the two choices listed above, I'd go for the Scott. It's less expensive, and I always like Shimano components over Sram (Novara is rocking the Sram).

The Scott is a shade heavier, but its not a big deal.

You'll definitely enjoy riding the 29er (not sure if you've ever ridden one). Have fun out there!

99GreenCobra

Established Member
I was torn between the rocky mountain and norco last spring. I liked the looks of the norco but after riding them both it was the Rocky Mountain. Ride me both. Pic the one that feels the best.

SweetSVT99

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
I have never heard of Novara before, apparently they are an REI brand. The specs are pretty similar overall (different brands, same/similar component level), which makes me wonder how they are justifying the extra $100 for the house brand over the Scott. Also, the Novara has Tektro brakes, which just hearing the name makes me want to punch kittens. When someone says "Tektro", I automatically assume they are referring to a Walmart bike.

My vote is for the Scott. Actually, my suggestion is to go visit an actual local bike shop, but if these two are our only options...

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
go to a local bike shop...

This!

Even at the entry level a good bike shop who only deals with bikes will give you a lot of great information. I would not spend $500+ on a bike from anywhere but a bike store. Find a bike that fits you and you like then make an offer. I purchased my bike 5 years ago, not even looking for a bike. I made an offer of $400 off msrp and they accepted.

Shmokinjoe

Established Member
I would feel better about the Scott. It's a better name brand and since there's going to be some cheap parts I would get the one with the better frame. Everything else you can just upgrade over time. But like these guys said, I'd recommend checking out the local shop, especially if you need help maintaining it.

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
Even at the entry level a good bike shop who only deals with bikes will give you a lot of great information. I would not spend $500+ on a bike from anywhere but a bike store. Find a bike that fits you and you like then make an offer. I purchased my bike 5 years ago, not even looking for a bike. I made an offer of $400 off msrp and they accepted.

Yup, unless you know what you are looking for and REI just happens to have it, stay away.

They do have an amazing return policy though. A friend bought a couple Cannondale road bikes there and returned them after months of riding for full price trade-ins.

Users who are viewing this thread