MotorTrend One Year Test Verdict

mosconiac

Established Member
Amazing that I can love such a pathetic automobile.

"Senior photographer/senior feature editor John Kiewicz jots, "This is the best Mustang V-8 in years. Strong, torquey power throughout the revs..."

"The Mustang SVT Cobra Convertible looks, sounds, and drives like the holdout it is: a primitive, beefy Detroit musclecar from another era."

Which is it? The best or not?

"It's fun to drive, and all its failures add to the fun," one logbook entry muses. "Too bad about the price." That parting shot is the cold truth. With so many other performance-car choices in and around the $40K mark, none of us could imagine plunking that much down on this aging racehorse. We look forward to a better all-new Cobra in mid-2005."

I wish they would show me ONE of the "any other performance-car choices in and around the $40K mark" that offer what the Cobra does. Sad...

AtomHeart

Architect of Evil
Established Member
I especially like the comment about them expecting more from almost 400hp. LOL.

Mid 12's aren't enough for you, old man?! Dear lord!

And personally, I cant imagine plunking down my $40K dollars for any OTHER of the performance car offerings in this price range. Haha. :)

I guess they figure 400hp, and mid 12 second quartermile passes are cheap and common.:bored:

Last edited:

Snake-Shadow

Established Member
Originally posted by AtomHeart

And personally, I cant imagine plunking down my $40K dollars for any OTHER of the performance car offerings in this price range. Haha. :)

I guess they figure 400hp, and mid 12 second quartermile passes are cheap and common.:bored:
Well they do have the all mighty EVO:loser:

Hey, somebody was going to bring it up...:D
M@

slythetove

Down the rabbit hole....
Established Member
Originally posted by mosconiac
Amazing that I can love such a pathetic automobile.

"Senior photographer/senior feature editor John Kiewicz jots, "This is the best Mustang V-8 in years. Strong, torquey power throughout the revs..."

"The Mustang SVT Cobra Convertible looks, sounds, and drives like the holdout it is: a primitive, beefy Detroit musclecar from another era."

Which is it? The best or not?

It's both. He says the best Mustang V8 in years. That just means it's the best Mustang, not the best car.

He then says the car is a primitive hold out from another era.

Those statements are not contradictory.

Just because it's a holdout from another era doesn't mean it's not the best Mustang.

tvguy

Originally posted by AtomHeart

Mid 12's from a ragtop? I don't think so. And most likely, with that torque curve, they were "expecting" more because the Cobra doesn't "feel" fast. Although we know it is. Besides that comment, I thought the review was right on. It IS a dated car. The interior sucks. It's not built well. I bought mine for the engine, which is probably the same reason many other people did. These magazine people (though usually morons) judge the overall vehicle, and with that, the Cobra does fall short in many categories. Still though, that engine!!
pacotaco
PS. I wish they would have named names when talking about "other" $40K cars.

BlueOvalBill

Established Member
"We look forward to a better all-new Cobra in mid-2005."

They're going to be looking forward a bit farther since the 2007 Cobra's the next one out in 2006.

"From the naturally aspirated 2001 model's 320 horsepower and 317 pound-feet of torque, output rose to 390 horsepower, 390 pound-feet."

Didn't they mean to say, "normally aspirated"?

Also, if they're so concerned about the car's price, why pay several thousand extra for a convertible?

CobraZb

Blown Cobra *****
Established Member
First off I agree with pacotaco, I got my cobra because the mother F*cker is fast. That is what you want in a muscle car the last time I checked. The problem with those car magazines is they just take a car and pick it apart for being a car, they dont look at the purpose. The purpose of a Cobra or any sports car as a mater of fact is to go fast. The cobra goes fast and it has some nice suttle styling not a farrari but nice. That is what I want in a muscle car. I say forget those mags they can never get anything right anyways. They are so swayed in their opinion anyways they will never truely like our cobra's.

NyteByte

Pro-Freedom
Established Member
Originally posted by mosconiac
With so many other performance-car choices in and around the $40K mark, none of us could imagine plunking that much down on this aging racehorse

I wouldn't pay $40K for a Cobra either. That's why I got mine for $28K. :-D

Who are they kidding? Cobra's aren't anywhere near $40K. Nice exaggeration.

Anyway, I'd like to see them name ONE car in the $30K to $35K price range that even comes CLOSE to the Cobra.

Stanged96

Established Member
Being one of those magazine people, lol... I got the car for the performance and I love the convt. While it may not be a BMW in terms of luxury, I love it and that's is what matters to me.

JKD COBRA

The 6th Deadly Venom
Established Member
With so many other performance-car choices in and around the $40K mark, none of us could imagine plunking that much down on this aging racehorse.
I cant believe they said that. They are wrong.

The interior sucks. It's not built well.
I disagree, I think out interior is great (besides the location of the shifter). But compared to the camaro/firebird and other cars in the same category, I think out interior is very nice and simple.

I for one, prefer out interior over the 2005 interior.

halo

Outta my way!!!
Established Member
Didn't they mean to say, "normally aspirated"?

Naturally aspirated is correct... as opposed to forced induction like you get with a supercharger or turbo. :burnout:

JKD COBRA

The 6th Deadly Venom
Established Member
Also, look at this:

Non-warr cost $51.64: oil/filter, tire rotation; $479.22: replace damaged wheel/tire
Hmmm. . . did someone have an accident or are their drivers really as bad as we thought

pwrhungry

Established Member
Originally posted by NyteByte
I wouldn't pay $40K for a Cobra either. That's why I got mine for $28K. :-D

Who are they kidding? Cobra's aren't anywhere near $40K. Nice exaggeration.

Anyway, I'd like to see them name ONE car in the $30K to $35K price range that even comes CLOSE to the Cobra.

My car stickered for $38,850 and is a coupe, cant get a whole lot closer to $40k. So i guess they are somewhere near $40k. :shrug:

WhiteT3

White Snake
Established Member
Motor Trend

I just sent them an e-mail. If we can get enough e-mails sent, maybe they will have answer to the big question: What other cars are they refering to when they say that there are many cars in this class under $40k they would be more willing to buy. Where is the list of Sports cars under $40k that out perform the Cobra. I count ZERO!! Let's see if they have an answer. Don't tell me the platform is out dated!! It still works for me. A stock engine that produces close to 400 hp is not enough? Come on, show me another car that does that for less than $80,000. Jace.:shrug:

jshen

Established Member
Me to!

Originally posted by pacotaco
The interior sucks. It's not built well. I bought mine for the engine, which is probably the same reason many other people did. ....
:beer:

NIELSTTCOBRA

Got Boost?
Established Member
i too love the interior... and the shifter is not a problem with a simple handle upgrade... if i wanted to go the cheap way, i could just get the mgw shifter handle and that problem is gone. i reach 6th without pulling my back from the seat and powershift the shit out of my car. dated car, i think not... for stock its a very well handling car, with aftermarket mods (like my coilovers), i can outhandle a vett (which i've done). and have to agree, zero cars in our range that can run 12's stock... by the way, i have a buddy that has a vert and ran 12.8 bone stock. he's a great driver, but he did run 12's. i know these tests are done with the car bone stock, but you can bet that more than half of the owners of the cobra mod it in some way... this is a tuners car... made for the ford enthusiests that enjoy building a fast car. i didn't buy this car to have some stupid navigation system, multiple tv's, dvd players, and wood grain interior... i bought it because its fast, easy to mod, looks killer, and still have reliable drivability... what more do you need?

carstocks

Established Member
The ironic thing is that most of the mentioned "shortcomings" can be taken care of with about $1,000 of aftermarket upgrades.

Shifter
Subframes
Catback
CIA

Users who are viewing this thread