Motorhome RV Question. Obviously It Wiil Be A Diesel. But?

oldmodman

Established Member
I am looking at a Thor. 34 foot based on a Ford 450 chassis with the 6.7L Powerstroke.

How has that engine been? I won't be modifying it. Except for better mileage (maybe) It is already so much better than the Ford V-10 in terms of power, torque, and mileage.
The price for a clean, one to two year old with under 10K miles is around 85 to 90 K
I want something that will easily tow my car trailer with my Cobra in it. And this will do it with ease.
Probably only be putting 3 to 7 K on it a year. Storage is not a problem.
Opinions?

nxhappy

Established Member
I wouldn't get one that big. But it's up to you.

I also wouldn't get a diesel. More maintenance, and turbo to maintain.

Stevenbekah

Cobra bitten
Established Member
I had an 07 Jayco 33DS but it was on the Chevy 5500 series with a 455 big block. Not great gas mileage but towed my boat well. I'm a fan of class c's and more specifically "super c's " on something like the Kodiak chassis, etc. Then again, for the price of one of those you can get a decked to the 9s 5th wheel / toy hauler plus a brand new truck and still have money to spare

nxhappy

Established Member
+1 on the class C ....way easier to drive, easier to park, easier to find space, easier life LOL

specracer

SVTOA MCA
Premium Member
Had a 36 with Cat 3126 330 hp (6 sp Allison, air brakes) Towed our 24' trailer easy. All comes down to budget. If I was doing it again, I would get a 5th wheel toter. I would stay with diesel vs gas.

Ohio Snake

Established Member
I have 15 Winnebago Vista 35F,gas. The gas models are very good from a maintenance standpoint. Im looking to upgrade to a diesel pusher in a few years. Why? The diesels have a much better ride than the gas, quieter, get better fuel economy than gas, higher towing capacity (400hp or better) and higher quality interior ( added weight a gas would not be able to handle).
300 hp diesels seem to be a dog when compared to the Ford V10.

The Thor you are looking at should fine for towing with a trailer. The best place to ask specific question by other owners of Thor or the chassis is the website IRV2. I monitor this website and ask questions all the time about the F53, Tiffin, Newmar and Winnebago diesels.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
I've heard very good things about the 6.7psd.

I knew a diesel mechanic who worked for Ford and said it's the only Ford diesel he would recommend since the 7.3.

7upstang

Established Member
Well, I can tell you this. I have 123K miles on my 6.7 Ford. Knock on wood, the only thing I've fixed was the DEF sensor going bad and two turbo connectors at $1.97 a piece. With only 4k-7k fuel mileage shouldn't be a major concern. However, diesels do cost more to maintain.

Users who are viewing this thread