Motorcycle riders, Come in.

BoneStock02

Regular Unleaded Member
Established Member
So I've been considering getting my motorcycle license and getting a crotch-rocket for riding everyday when the weather is nice. My question is, is it worth it, and how hard is the license test?

paxton5.0

Established Member
My advice would be to take the MSF rider safety course. It will teach you good habits and in most states it will waive at least the riding portion of the license test.

bmxer89

Established Member
I don't know if its the same in your state but i got mine in no time. I took a 20 question test which gave me my permit. Then I rode my bike for a long time without a m license. Finally I took the raod test, it was real stupid had to go around cones , and swerve around lines on the ground, really had nothing to do with riding a bike. Was easy to pass on my bike sense its small. There was a dude on a gsxr1000 it looked like he was having alot of trouble sense its a bigger bike. Never took a safety course or anything seemed like a waste of time.

BoneStock02

Regular Unleaded Member
Established Member
My advice would be to take the MSF rider safety course. It will teach you good habits and in most states it will waive at least the riding portion of the license test.

Hmmm, I might look into this.

I don't know if its the same in your state but i got mine in no time. I took a 20 question test which gave me my permit. Then I rode my bike for a long time without a m license. Finally I took the raod test, it was real stupid had to go around cones , and swerve around lines on the ground, really had nothing to do with riding a bike. Was easy to pass on my bike sense its small. There was a dude on a gsxr1000 it looked like he was having alot of trouble sense its a bigger bike. Never took a safety course or anything seemed like a waste of time.

Cool, sounds good.

lokslikasolstic

Mrs. 203Cree
Established Member
Hmmm, I might look into this.

Definitely look into it. Not only will it give you the knowledge you need to ride the bike, you will also not have to take the test again at the DMV and in most cases it will give you an automatic discount on your insurance. I took the MSF course in March and although I am unable to ride (physical reasons) I learned a ton about even just being a bitch rider. You will learn so much more taking the MSF course than just trying to go to the DMV and riding.

Sonic605hp

Resident Prick.
Established Member
Safety course and license is a good idea, but there's nothing like real world riding. I have neither but if you're buying a rocket I recommend it highly.

DSG04Lightning

U.S. PARATROOPER
Established Member
sorry i know the safety course is just riding around through cones moslty low speed stuff, any one can ride a bike fast, but it takes skill to turn around at 5-10 mph

deffinatly take the MSF course ive taken both the basic and advanced courses. taught me alot!

BTW i was riding for 2 years before i took the course. (plus you will look cooler when your riding with your buddies and you can 180 in a parking lot and they are walking their bikes along!!

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
The riding course is really easy.
It is worth it. Good way to save gas money, and they are fun to ride. Be safe though.

piss&vinegar

Seek and Destroy
Established Member
In GA, the test was harder compared to the driving test for a car. Take the MSF course if you have never rode before. Yes, it is worth it! Once you get comfortable on it, hit some mountain roads and it is like your own personal roller coaster. What bike are you looking at?

lokslikasolstic

Mrs. 203Cree
Established Member
My fiance took the beginner, advance and group riding courses and he has been riding since he was 9 and he said he still learned something. I also really like the course b/c if you take it and never end up riding a bike it makes you more aware of other bikers on the road when you are driving a car.

BoneStock02

Regular Unleaded Member
Established Member
Awesome, thanks for all the input.

In GA, the test was harder compared to the driving test for a car. Take the MSF course if you have never rode before. Yes, it is worth it! Once you get comfortable on it, hit some mountain roads and it is like your own personal roller coaster. What bike are you looking at?

For right now, since I'll be learning, it'll be cheap used bike without too much power. Eventually I'd like a nice GSXR or something along those lines.

Phallen

Trackday Junkie
Established Member
Some things to help out

1) Surf motorcycle forums in your community. Especially the social sites.

2) Get to know, and make friends with guys/girls that REALLY know how to ride a bike. If they ever squid it (shorts/t-shirts/flip-flops), they are not who you want to hang with. Guys that race/track thier bikes are who you want to become friends with.

3) Take an MSF course. Well worth the time.

4) Buy a total POS bike for the first 6-12 months. Get the basics down. Spend maybe $1500 on a used Kawi EX500, and when done, sell it for the same amount or who knows, maybe more. THEN maybe pick up a 600 or something....

5) Invest in gear. This is non-negotiable. Get a good jacket, gloves, boots, and helmet (DOT and/or ECE certified...you don't need to spend more than $175 to get a very good safe helmet).

6) Do NOT be afraid to ask other riders any questions. Most of the time, you will find that riders are a very tight-nit community that loves to help people out. It's a dangerous hobby and mode of transportation, but the rewards or riding are incredibly abundant. Especially in the very beautiful part of the country you live in.

7) Insurance is expensive, deal with it. Don't even think about getting just liability.

8) Stay the hell away from 1000cc sport bikes. Later on, after getting to really know bikes and yourself, decide if they are for you. It takes a lot of time and experience to truly get the most out of them AND enjoy your ride doing it.

9) Be open minded when buying your first 'real' bike (the starter bike that you WILL dump doesn't count...). Everyone wants a crotch rocket, but if you're going to ride every day, maybe even a commute, consider an FZ1, Tuono, Monster, Streetfighter, Bandit, or any other serious "sportbike" that's had it's fairing removed, high rise handle bars installed, and ease of riding but still retaining a sport bike motor/chassis/suspension.

For instance, a Yamaha R6 is an extremely potent track day weapon. But the for the street, it's painfully annoying. The counter, is an FZ6, basically a far more comfortable R6with raised handlebars and revised cams so you don't have to rev it to the moon to get some ususable power out of it.

I can go on and on and on as you can see....

AMNick

Some things to help out

1) Surf motorcycle forums in your community. Especially the social sites.

2) Get to know, and make friends with guys/girls that REALLY know how to ride a bike. If they ever squid it (shorts/t-shirts/flip-flops), they are not who you want to hang with. Guys that race/track thier bikes are who you want to become friends with.

3) Take an MSF course. Well worth the time.

4) Buy a total POS bike for the first 6-12 months. Get the basics down. Spend maybe $1500 on a used Kawi EX500, and when done, sell it for the same amount or who knows, maybe more. THEN maybe pick up a 600 or something....

5) Invest in gear. This is non-negotiable. Get a good jacket, gloves, boots, and helmet (DOT and/or ECE certified...you don't need to spend more than $175 to get a very good safe helmet).

6) Do NOT be afraid to ask other riders any questions. Most of the time, you will find that riders are a very tight-nit community that loves to help people out. It's a dangerous hobby and mode of transportation, but the rewards or riding are incredibly abundant. Especially in the very beautiful part of the country you live in.

7) Insurance is expensive, deal with it. Don't even think about getting just liability.

8) Stay the hell away from 1000cc sport bikes. Later on, after getting to really know bikes and yourself, decide if they are for you. It takes a lot of time and experience to truly get the most out of them AND enjoy your ride doing it.

9) Be open minded when buying your first 'real' bike (the starter bike that you WILL dump doesn't count...). Everyone wants a crotch rocket, but if you're going to ride every day, maybe even a commute, consider an FZ1, Tuono, Monster, Streetfighter, Bandit, or any other serious "sportbike" that's had it's fairing removed, high rise handle bars installed, and ease of riding but still retaining a sport bike motor/chassis/suspension.

For instance, a Yamaha R6 is an extremely potent track day weapon. But the for the street, it's painfully annoying. The counter, is an FZ6, basically a far more comfortable R6with raised handlebars and revised cams so you don't have to rev it to the moon to get some ususable power out of it.

I can go on and on and on as you can see....

+1000 What he said. #9 especially. My street bike is a Street Triple R...basically a Daytona 675 with no front fairings, comfortable but aggressive handle bars instead of clip-ons, and cams that start bringing the angry at a lower more street friendly RPM range instead of having constantly wring out the throttle.

If you are going to ride on the street for more then a few minutes you will appreciate the comfort and will see no compromise in performance or handling from the full fairinged versions. The additional aggressiveness of the clip-ons, cams, and fairings really only make a difference on the track.

Last edited:

Phallen

Trackday Junkie
Established Member
+1000 What he said. #9 especially. My street bike is a Street Triple R....

PICS!!!

Perfect street bike! I haven't ridden the Street Triple but have ridden the 675 and Speed Triple. As my buddy puts it "Inline 4 crap and v-twin poo is nothing compared to Zen of the Triple!"

I love my Duc, but I'm probably going to be looking at the StreetFighter and Speed Triple when looking to replace.

AMNick

PICS!!!

Perfect street bike! I haven't ridden the Street Triple but have ridden the 675 and Speed Triple. As my buddy puts it "Inline 4 crap and v-twin poo is nothing compared to Zen of the Triple!"

I love my Duc, but I'm probably going to be looking at the StreetFighter and Speed Triple when looking to replace.

I will fully attest to the Zen of the Triple! It is literally the Yin & Yang of a V-twin and a I4. The best of both worlds...you get the grunty low-end torque of the v-twin with the high end seat of your pants HP of the I4. And the glorious motor music is like no other motor you will ever hear. Took these pictures on a perfectly overcast day.

Last edited:

matab14

pop up and do less....
Established Member
^^^^^ +2000 to all that's written above! Great Advice for sure!!!!

I miss my 600rr like Crazy!!!

Phallen

Trackday Junkie
Established Member
HOLY SHIT that is CLEAN!!!!!!!!!!

Do you even ride it?!?

Gorgeous. Absolutely beautiful bike.

BoneStock02

Regular Unleaded Member
Established Member
Wow, a lot more input then I thought I'd get, I appriciate it.

Thanks for that list Phallen, I'll be sure to bare it in mind and it looks like I'll be checking out some new forums.

Thanks again everyone.

Users who are viewing this thread