Motor Trend [ june 2003 ] Speeding Article

Status
Not open for further replies.

davidmax

Established Member
Thats it I'm trading in my other 03' for a Mosler.HA HA,Dave S.

msp282

I sell crack
Established Member
ummm.. i did run a 12.4 with the cobra.....so apparently I can at least get it over the speedlimit.....:)

I personally ran my Evo to a 13.46 on it's first and only run at the track (i ran a second run but misshifted)...the car was hot and I was overreving it.... so the time seems like it is legit. I was running 93.5 octane in my car...not sure about theirs... My 0-60 would be well under 5 seconds on that one run.

Originally posted by rskdsk
MSP282. You obviously can not drive your cobra! I will give the EVO credit in the handeling and braking department, but I would love to see you keep up with me on the street with your 32k ricer mobile! I have come into many many EVO ... absolutley not competion!!

derryck

Established Member
I haven't seen an EVO's locally on the street but rest assured that when I do... I will beat hime unmercifully.:)

OCCOBRA

Picture Whirled Peas
Established Member
It's the New evo rated at 300 hp. Personally it's rice. To each his own but i would rather be in the cobra in accident than an Evo. And the evo is not what i would call a date or status car. Unless your in high school.

msp282

I sell crack
Established Member
I thought I had seen lots of people run 13.4(ish) with their cobra's.... that is Evo territory...... Plus it takes the cobra the full ¼ mile to catch up.... if the Evo shuts down at 90mph (which is plenty fast for a quick street race), the Evo wins. :D

You can argue either way forever..... i think stock for stock, the Evo will win due to the no brainer launch, and the fact that a street race is normally less than ¼ mile.

Just my opinion.

Originally posted by fryingricecobra
Bottom line stock for stock. The american verison of the evo will not touch a 03 cobra with the same drivers.....

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member
Talk about some crazy ****in numbers. Justin Bell was the driver if im not mistaken so no whining about magazine testers. He obviously wasnt sandbagging because he let the Viper blast the Z06 and his school uses Corvettes. That has to make Chevy happy.

I think the times are pretty much right for what a good, not a freak like every car community has, driver can do with each car.

And there's no shame in a 13 flat. Just indicative of how fast cars are now. :eek:

davidmax

Established Member
My WRX with extensive mods will run 11.50's all day long.Dave S.

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
Now let's keep in mind, guys/gals. Do you even KNOW anyone who has an 03 cobra with exactly ZERO mods on it?:-D

I mean absolutely none? I certainly don't know any. This being the case, although I felt the numbers they came up with were indeed a little lacking, I can't honestly speak of how a STOCK cobra performs. We all know how restrictive the facotry stuff is.

I WOULD have liked to see what it would top at with the speed limiter off though:)

derryck

Established Member
I thought I had seen lots of people run 13.4(ish) with their cobra's.... that is Evo territory

C'mon Scot you know 13.4 in a stock Cobra could be pulled off by a nearly incompetent driver. I've seen stock times for an 03 in the lower to mid 12's... that ain't EVO territory.

My WRX with extensive mods will run 11.50's all day long.Dave S.

03's with 'extensive mods' run ALOT faster than that... what is your point. I don't think anyone is saying the WRX isn't a great car... it's one of the best bang for your buck cars on the market IMO.... maybe second to the Cobra.;-)

And I think most 03's are close to stock... maybe just a few bolt ons.

msp282

I sell crack
Established Member
Derryck...yes..except.... the streets of Pennyslvania are far far less grippy than the dragstrip. I cannot open my car up at all for 1st gear. Maybe in clean florida it is different, but not around here.

Originally posted by derryck
C'mon Scot you know 13.4 in a stock Cobra could be pulled off by a nearly incompetent driver. I've seen stock times for an 03 in the lower to mid 12's... that ain't EVO territory.

ZXnVS

Established Member
Originally posted by Lethalchem
Now let's keep in mind, guys/gals. Do you even KNOW anyone who has an 03 cobra with exactly ZERO mods on it?:-D

I mean absolutely none? I certainly don't know any.

That would be me. No pulley, no CAI, not even a K&N filter. Bone stock.

But getting back to the thread, I'm not "dissing" your Evo, msp282, but I don't believe for a second that a stock Evo will give a Cobra a run for its money. The Evo is a little lighter and AWD, but it's still down 100 HP and 100 ft-lb, and being a four-banger it's got to be peaky. The two cars are not in the same class, and they were designed for totally different purposes. The Evo is good at what it does (from what I read), though.

I'm sure a novice (or even intermediate) driver would get much better launches and 60' times with a 300-HP, AWD car, but the Cobra would reel it in voraciously.

FINICKY

Established Member
Hey guys, not to support the evo but ive seen allot of them at the local track and they were all running 12's. The fastest went 12.5. They had the usual boost controller and downpipes and stuff nothing crazy at all. The same night i seen 3 cobras running mid 13's fighting for traction.
I love my cobra but dont be in denial that there are some fast little imports coming out and there also running very strong.....personally I like the evo and the wrx also just not my thing.

NetworkingGuru

Established Member
Originally posted by msp282
Anyway..... to each their own, but I would bet the Evo and Cobra are about even in most street races stock vs stock. Clearly by the end of a ¼ mile the Cobra is going way faster but who the hell races to 110mph?

Actually, I've started races at 130. Course, the other driver (RSX) was "racing" WAY before 130, but I was just cruising :p Let him top out before I ever floored it. God, that was fun. Anyhow, I think the Evo is a decent little car, but the times for the Evo are pretty close to best case, and the times for the Cobra are bad. Nittos make all the difference in the world on the Cobra. Before the Nitto's, the best 0-60 run I could get on the TRACK (G-Tech Pro Comp) was 4.2. This morning, on an off-idle launch on the street, I hit 3.6. Not bad for $328 in mods and $408 in tires :)

MarkWanc

Established Member
I have never seen a stock Viper that can run a 11.77 at sea level - in 100% pure stock form. Ya know, I believe in last months issue they compared a 'regular' vette convertible against a Cobra vert - the vette ran a 13.06 (or something close to 13 flat) - in the back of that very same magazine are the posted times of all manufacturer's cars - where they have a 2003 Z06 listed at a 12.9.....so why would anyone buy a Z06 when a regular vette convertible is an RCH slower????? - Motor Trend is getting as bad as R & T was when they got busted for bringing in 'Ringer' cars a few years back. These magazines never list the 60 ft times nor the elevation of the track - my two biggest complaints ever! By not listing this information, all results are meaningless.....and when they bring in tweaked cars running against stock cars (with drivers that are probably getting 2.20 sec. 60' times with the Cobra due to the IRS) , that really adds more insult to injury. Someone should offer to put 2K in each of the cars and get an experienced driver for each brand - then re-run them and watch all the boys shit their pants when the Cobra eats most of them - hell that shitty exhaust system on the Cobra is so plugged up - changin that alone will make a huge difference.

Mark

Tin Knocker

Established Member
I'm sorry to say I'm one of the few that doesen't have any mods. But I just got the car last weekend. Give me a couple more days.:p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread